Jones Staff

Go look where Chip Kelly came from...NEW HAMPSHIRE. And i think we can say he has done a pretty good job so saying this isn't the big east means nothing. And he was also thought of enough to be hired by Georgia, looking at his defense at cincy they were pretty good.

Lol...same defense we smoked! Hope he turns this ship around but his staff is not gonna be nowhere the best in the sec!

Reactions: 1 person
Lol...same defense we smoked! Hope he turns this ship around but his staff is not gonna be nowhere the best in the sec!

We also smoked Georgia's defense. lol yeah same here man, it has been way too long. I do agree it won't be as good as the Bama's and LSU's but if you hire Tee i think it has the potential to be a really good staff.

I listen just fine but my eyes work too and what he ran at Cincinnati was the zone read option based spread. If he wasn't going to run that offense he wouldn't have brought HIS offensive coordinator. He will run what he knows and that's the Spread.

He also adapted and had a drop back passer at QB. It doesnt matter to me what he runs as long as we can run the ball, be physical and play a better D that what we just saw. I was just saying he says its not a spread, he prefers finesse, physical and pro sets.

I think this may be the staff.

HC - Butch Jones

OC/QB - Mike Bajakian
OL - Don Mahoney
RB - Jay Graham
WR - Tee Martin (hopefully on staff)
TE/RC- TJ Wiest

DC/LB - John Jancek
DL - Steve Stripling
ST/S - Mark Elder
CB - Willie Martinez

Jones could keep his TE coach and not hire Martin because Wiest is reportedly on staff. I wish the NCAA would allow more than 10 coaches.

So he's bringing his dc! What happened to the best staff in the country!!
I agree. I was hopeful, when he said that. But bringing 80% of his staff from Central Michigan and UC is not assembling the best staff in the country. I understand him wanting to keep his OC, staff loyalty and all, but his DC and other assistants do not constitute the best staff he could assemble.

Why should he be given a $3mill budget just to give his cohorts a big pay raise? I'm trying to be optimistic, but if he simply brings most of his old staff, he should have never made that statement, and worst of all...he is giving himself and the program a steeper hill to climb, in terms of recruiting.

Randy Shannon can coach and recruit circles around his previous DC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
On the $3 million for assistants pool...is it possible that though it is worded as "minimum of $3 mil" that whatever is left could roll over each year so that Jones can lure whoever he needs? I really doubt he would be allowed to exceed the 3 mil/year by a very large margin as it is.

Reactions: 1 person
Sorry but It's NOT going to be the "best staff in the nation", because the best assistants (Or SEC caliber) don't coach "THE SPREAD". The defensive coaches who are the "best assistants" aren't going to come coach under Butch Jones until he proves his-self. The staff he assembles is just going to have to be the best staff In the Nation……that coaches HIS system, and they'll just have to do the best THEY can do, and "give their all for Tennessee"

That's fine, i look forward to having some hungry to win coaches who are going to push these players to be the very best they can be.

Offensively I don't mind Coach Jones bringing in his guys. I believe it will help the flow of the offense and I especially will be on board if Tee is hired alongside of Graham. That would an awesome recruiting duo. Defensively is where I have the problem, they were 12th in scoring D but they play far less than superior talent compared to the SEC. Overall they were 44th in total defense this year not to great but way better than what we were. I believe we need to bring in a big name DC and the staff would really look good. His DC could be the LB coach. His position coaches might not have huge resumes but they are great teachers. When it comes to ST, DB I think we are upgrading. I hate we lost Pittman but I'm glad Sunseri is gone.

Offensively I don't mind Coach Jones bringing in his guys. I believe it will help the flow of the offense and I especially will be on board if Tee is hired alongside of Graham. That would an awesome recruiting duo. Defensively is where I have the problem, they were 12th in scoring D but they play far less than superior talent compared to the SEC. Overall they were 44th in total defense this year not to great but way better than what we were. I believe we need to bring in a big name DC and the staff would really look good. His DC could be the LB coach. His position coaches might not have huge resumes but they are great teachers. When it comes to ST, DB I think we are upgrading. I hate we lost Pittman but I'm glad Sunseri is gone.
Exactly. He is a former OC, from what I understand. So, it makes some sense for him to bring in who he prefers to run HIS system.

But, even with that said, he has to be mindful that recruiting in this league is more than just bringing in your guys and having them be good salesmen. They need some Sizzle to convince a 5*WR we were in on, previously, to forget about UGA, LSU, BAMA, UF, USC, FSU, etc.. That's what we had with our first WR coach, Baggett. Even though nobody ever heard of Dooley, they had heard of Randy Moss, Chris Carter, etc...and the coach who they played for in the NFL.

He's the reason we got Justin Hunter AND D. Rodgers (shame the latter didn't pan out). On defense, his staff is going to be selling Vanilla Ice Cream, while the upper tier SEC teams are working with Baskin Robbin's 31 flavors...so to speak.

I agree. I was hopeful, when he said that. But bringing 80% of his staff from Central Michigan and UC is not assembling the best staff in the country. I understand him wanting to keep his OC, staff loyalty and all, but his DC and other assistants do not constitute the best staff he could assemble.

Why should he be given a $3mill budget just to give his cohorts a big pay raise? I'm trying to be optimistic, but if he simply brings most of his old staff, he should have never made that statement, and worst of all...he is giving himself and the program a steeper hill to climb, in terms of recruiting.

Randy Shannon can coach and recruit circles around his previous DC.

Business as usual for the Tennessee Volunteers. Average hire with an average staff.

BJ did not have to say that he was going to assemble the "best in america" but that's exactly what he said. Many people on this board were saying that BJ's first test was what type of staff he would put together. And that would be the first test to judge him by.

Well the staff is looking very average! His staff looks to be no better than a "C"! Of the coaches he is bringing with him I do not see any that can recruit, the big name coaches in the SEC and the nation. When you hire average coach you will get average results.

Maybe BJ will restore the mighty Vols to an average program! Well woopity du!!!

Reactions: 2 people
People forget athat some of the best OC and DC out there started in small positions at smaller schools. They didn't exactly become famous and well known overnight at some major school...

Larry Fedora
1997-1998 - Air Force - QB/WR
1999-2001 - MIddle Tenn St - OC
2002-2004 - Florida - OC
2005-2007 - Oklahoma St - OC

Charlie Strong
1986-1987 - Souther Illinois - WR
1988-1989 - Florida - OLB
1990 - Ole Miss - WR
1991-1994 - Florida Asst - HC/DT
1999-2001 - South Carolina - DC
2002-2009 - Florida DC/DE - Intern HC

Will Muschamp
1998 - West Georgia - DB
1999 - Eastern KY - DB
2000 - Valdosta St - DC
2001-2004 - LSU - DC/LB

People forget athat some of the best OC and DC out there started in small positions at smaller schools. They didn't exactly become famous and well known overnight at some major school...

Larry Fedora
1997-1998 - Air Force - QB/WR
1999-2001 - MIddle Tenn St - OC
2002-2004 - Florida - OC
2005-2007 - Oklahoma St - OC

Charlie Strong
1986-1987 - Souther Illinois - WR
1988-1989 - Florida - OLB
1990 - Ole Miss - WR
1991-1994 - Florida Asst - HC/DT
1999-2001 - South Carolina - DC
2002-2009 - Florida DC/DE - Intern HC

Will Muschamp
1998 - West Georgia - DB
1999 - Eastern KY - DB
2000 - Valdosta St - DC
2001-2004 - LSU - DC/LB

Everyone needs to realize these huge name coordinators they want either are super secure or unemployed and or looking for a reason.

The big concern I have is can he put a staff together that will recruit at the top levels of the SEC. If he recruits at Dooley's level or below it will be very difficult to compete for SEC championships regardless of how much players are coached up. Without the players, it is almost impossible to "out scheme" the upper level SEC defenses. The SEC is not the MAC, Big East or even the Big 10.

I don't think any criticism is justified at this point. We need to see how it all plays out IMO

VN Store

Back