Official Jon Gruden Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cr you as well as I do assistant coaches aren't hired after head coaches are fired. It's a very rare thing and certainy isn't an expectation.

I know I'm just busting you. I do think its a little telling that he didn't seem to be in the running when they hired muschamp. I know muschamp was a hot name at the time, but they had seen Strong for 9 years(i think) and he never really had a shot at the job.

I also understand he had just moved on to louisville 1 year prior, but he would seem like a logical choice if he is truly a great coach.

I think at this point, after friday, I realized I spent too much time here worrying about things I cant control, and missed out on family time etc. So now, I am here mostly when at work because I have a computer up all day, and I have learned to relax and let it be...my wife and kids are happier for it...

It either will or wont be Gruden...in the meantime chillax...

Very true sir. I have thought the same.:good!:

Reactions: 1 person
It happens rarely but it is never an exspectation. Assistant coaches are only expected to have a fair shot at jobs when the previous coach that leaves is successful. Anybody that follows the coaching profession knows that! Fisher was the coach in waiting so using him as a example doesn't fly.

Nearly everything stated here is incorrect. Respectfully.

There is no way his assertion can be true. You would have to be the dumbest AD in the history of AD's to put out 4 contracts and see who jumps first.

The rumors of this thread and about this thread actually exceed the rumors in this thread

And that is difficult to do :yes:

Reactions: 2 people
Florida didn't hire strong after zook was fired. Assistant coaches aren't hired when HC are fired. That's isn't being passed over.

When urban left strong was already at Louisville and had just finished his first year. He wasn't on staff to get pasted over

Strong hasn't been pasted over twice by florida!

FYI Bruin:

Strong interviewed for head coaching jobs at:

Cal
East Carolina
Kansas
Minnesota
Vanderbilt
considered by UK prior to the hiring of Brooks.

All passed on him.

I said this last night, I think we'll have to pay more than 3.5 for Strong. He makes right at 3 now. Louisville will counter any offer we make. I think we'll have to pay 4 for STrong at a minimum, plus a buyout. WHile I think Strong is a good, young coach, I don't think he is worth that kind of money. JMO

Problem is he is not a young coach.

Question, since we are in a hold pattern today with the banquets in NY,

When you look around the college football landscape, which team do you think most closely mirrors the football teachings of General Neyland?

When I think of General Neyland I think of defense.

Alabama

Boro:

In my humble opinion, UT cannot under any circumstance rush this hire, whether it is Gruden or anoother coach. The last time UT did that we got Dooley and no one wants to go through that nightmare again!

Some people are talking about making a hire quickly so that the new coach can get out on the recruiting trail. Well the dead period begins on 12/17/12 and ends on 1/3/13! If UT hired a coach this week, the new coach would have at most 10-11 days to recruit. You would have to throw into the mix that the new coach would have to assemble his staff which isn't an easy task which would cut into recruiting time.

We only have to look to Alabama to see that even if you bring a coach in January, a university can have a top 5 recruiting class! Tennessee must keep its eye on the prize and if that requires having to wait until late December to "hire" a head coach then that is what must be done!!! It should also be kept in mind that one candidate has some rather large contractual issues with his current employer and possibly his prior employer!

These things take time! Neither Strong nor Gundy is "the guy"!!!!

The only issue with waiting is that if you don't have anybody before then - well the remaining choices might not be that attractive. I think you could have a private agreement and not make it public until a later date but to have nothing until the later date would seem a bit risky. jmo.

I know I'm just busting you. I do think its a little telling that he didn't seem to be in the running when they hired muschamp. I know muschamp was a hot name at the time, but they had seen Strong for 9 years(i think) and he never really had a shot at the job.

I agree the time muschamp was hired is iffy when stating a case for strong but it should be noted he wasn't at florida at time like most posters are claiming.

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back