Hart To Interview Gundy Sunday

Can anybody confirm that he is here in Knoxville today??

I would like to know that myself. If he came here to interview, that's another point to look at. If Hart had to go to Stillwater or a central meeting place to speak to him, it makes me think less of a chance.

Except UT is willing to pay Gundu 4 mil+ with incentives. Who knows what could happen.

So what's your point?

You don't think OK ST would match a 700 K raise if your 4 million number is accurate?

My point about any of these guys at established programs are going to be a tough sell. Why leave their comfort zone and comparable money to take the UT job?

Sure, you can point to the SEC being the big swinging d-ck of college football but it isn't like these guys are coaching in the Sun Belt or MAC.

Not saying Gundy to UT can't happen, I just don't see enough of an upside for Gundy, Fisher or others to do so.

Gundy is definitely worth the 4.5 mil it would probably take to get him. And throw him another 4 mil to assemble a staff. Bama's staff is worth 3.9 mil.

So what's your point?

You don't think OK ST would match a 700 K raise if your 4 million number is accurate?

My point about any of these guys at established programs are going to be a tough sell. Why leave their comfort zone and comparable money to take the UT job?

Sure, you can point to the SEC being the big swinging d-ck of college football but it isn't like these guys are coaching in the Sun Belt or MAC.

Not saying Gundy to UT can't happen, I just don't see enough of an upside for Gundy, Fisher or others to do so.

I don't see either coming but I believe they'll listen.

So what's your point?

How many Schools have given a 700,000.00 raise to a guy who went 7-5? How many schools would do it after giving the man a 1.8 million dollar raise and 7 year extention after going 12-1 last year? It just does not make sense they would keep piling on money unless the peformance on the field justified it(see 2011).

Reactions: 1 person
He wants more money and better facilities. IMO

OSU has great facilities. He has some sort of disagreement with the AD. I have a really good friend that graduated from there. He is scared to death that we are going to hire him.

OSU has great facilities. He has some sort of disagreement with the AD. I have a really good friend that graduated from there. He is scared to death that we are going to hire him.

Now that is what I was thinking. Something is just not right and I doubt it has anything to do with money or wanting more of it from OSU. Maybe they work out their differences, but I would not expect to hear Gundy has got a raise if he stays there.

Now that is what I was thinking. Something is just not right and I doubt it has anything to do with money or wanting more of it from OSU. Maybe they work out their differences, but I would not expect to hear Gundy has got a raise if he stays there.

Don't be fooled though. Gundy is T-Boones boy.

He is certainly not worth what it would take to get him. Gundy makes almost 4 mil a year right now. Tenn would have to offer him Saban money to get him and by the way he is no Saban.

I would rather, go after someone like a Strong, Franklin, or even a Gus Malzahn and pay about 3.5 mil and have an extra 2 mil to pay great Assist coaches.

Exactly!

I must admit that I do not always have time to follow all the coaches across the country. So, my thinking on the coaching search is evolving. However, I do believe that your philosophy on this is sound.

If we can't get Gruden, then lets get a good, solid HC, who we can get a good deal on. Then, lets get the best assistants in the business.

Bobby Bowden was a genious until Mark Richt left in 2000. Urban Meyer decided it was time to move on after Charlie Strong left after 2009. He then changed his mind, and went 8-5 in 2010. Sometimes we focus way too much on the HC, when it is really a great supporting cast that is doing all the work.

I would not want Malzahn without a really great DC. I do believe that is an excellent short list though.

Don't get me wrong, Gundy is a huge upgrade over Dooley but who isn't? I don't think we should simply settle for a guy because he's a huge upgrade over Dooley or they may as well hire anyone to achieve that.

My concern with Gundy is that everyone seems to think he would be good as long as he brings a big time DC with him. Well, who is this big time DC that Gundy would get?

Currently, I see him as another guy that can hang 50 points on the board but allows the other team to do so as well. We just dealt with that under Sal Sunseri and I'm afraid that "outscore em'" approach of the Big 12 wouldn't work well in the SEC.

He may be alright but after what we witnessed this past season, I would be concerned with a staff that couldn't stop anyone.

How many Schools have given a 700,000.00 raise to a guy who went 7-5? How many schools would do it after giving the man a 1.8 million dollar raise and 7 year extention after going 12-1 last year? It just does not make sense they would keep piling on money unless the peformance on the field justified it(see 2011).

I understand what you are saying but Gundy lost Wheeden and Blackmon among others to the draft.

He lost 3 of those 5 games by a TD or less, another one by 2 TD to conference champs K ST. The only outlier was AZ.

I know this is the same argument that Dooley supporters used(we were this close to winning X number of games) but the key difference is that Gundy has 2011 to point to as a ceiling.

Does OK ST let him walk in what was essentially a rebuilding year for them?

I don't think you can apply common business logic to college football. It has become a nuclear arms race where everyone is escalating their stockpile.

Tennessee scored plenty of points this year. That hasn't been the issue. And that part lines up with Gundy and the Big 12 also.

But, what also lines up with them is no defense or minimal defense and utter shootouts with other high powered teams.

Big 12 football doesn't work on SEC teams. Every now and then with certain matchups sure. But to sustain and build an SEC program where offensive shootouts are preferred over defense (which seems to be the midset there), I don't see any current Big12 coach as an option---mainly because of that.

This is EXACTLY how I feel about Gundy. I disagree only with the last sentence. We're not going to get him but Patterson is a Big XII coach and would be a HR. (And is defensive-minded.)

This is what everyone else says about us, and our reply is to remind everyone of our boosters.

True. However, I think the OSU situation is worse. I wish I could get the WSJ link to work correctly, but here is a summary of the article.
T. Boone Pickens's Largesse Offers 'Cautionary Tale' for How Universities Deal With Donors - Philanthropy Today - The Chronicle of Philanthropy- Connecting the nonprofit world with news, jobs, and ideas

I have no idea if he would leave or not, nor do I have an opinion on wether he is the best solution for UT...just that it could have some realistic reasoning.

I like Gundy better than Fisher but I would much rather have a defensive minded coach like Strong than a OC type coach like Fedora or Gundy.

This is EXACTLY how I feel about Gundy. I disagree only with the last sentence. We're not going to get him but Patterson is a Big XII coach and would be a HR. (And is defensive-minded.)

Patterson would be best rumor is he won't come here because of happenings in the past hirings.

VN Store

Back