The Heisman:

Unfortunately, I know how the Heisman has historically worked. That does not mean that it ought to go to the offensive player who puts up the most impressive stats over the most outstanding player in college football throughout the course of the given season.

If you think Clowney is that player, then if you were given a vote (which, technically you are, though it accounts for very little) why would you vote for Manziel?

I think that Teo has demonstrated that he was the most outstanding player over the course of the season. I think that Manziel demonstrated that he was outstanding in most of his games, but not over the entire course of the season.

If you know how Heisman voting historically works, whether you agree or disagree, then you already know why I'd vote for Manziel.

You're entitled to your opinion on Teo...great kid, great story and great player. But you and I both know he's likely not winning the Heisman.

Interesting side note. If Manziel wins, it will be the second Heisman for natives of Tyler, Tx. Not bad for a small town. Also, Hooks (Billy Sims) isn't too far up the road from Tyler.

Last edited:
Never thought I'd say this, but I now believe Manziel will win the Heisman. Not that I didn't think he deserved it...just that the voters can be fickle...and I wasn't certain if the national press was behind him.

If today is any indication, Johnny Football has the Heisman locked up. He was interviewed by four separate programs today: Mike & Mike (ESPN Radio), Dan Patrick, Mike Francesa (The FAN in NYC), and Jim Rome. Dan Patrick and Jim Rome shocked me...they couldn't say enough positive stuff, both during and after their respective interviews. I too came away pretty impressed. Hard to believe this kid turns 20 in a week...he comes across quite mature and humble.

If he has a big game tonight he could and should be right in the middle of this talk. He's only had one bad game it was just awful timing on his part. If he has the game he's capable of having, he's a strong candidate for a voter that doesn't want a freshman or defensive player to win it.

While Clowney is good and more talented than Teo, I do not think he is more excellent or more consistently excellent (he might be equally excellent, in his respective role).

Clowney: 49 tackes, 4.5 tackles per game
Teo: 101 tackles, 8.5 tackles per game

Clowney: 36 solo, 3.3 per game
Teo: 46 solo, 3.8 per game

Clowney: 13 sacks, 1.2 per game
Teo: 1.5 sacks

Clowney: 0 interceptions
Teo: 7 interceptions

Clowney can get to the quarterback; Teo is not a pass rusher. Teo can pick the ball off pretty well for a LB; Clowney does not drop in coverage. Thus, the last two statistics seem to be a wash.

When it comes to tackles, I will admit that Clowney's stats are hurt by the fact that other teams gameplan away from Clowney; and, MLBs usually always have high tackle counts.

Being the lynch pin on one of the best defenses in the country, the strength (the defense not Teo) of the #1 team in the country, certainly helps Teo. It might be unfair that being on a defense that surrendered 44 points to Florida hurts Clowney.

This would bother me if it was clear to me that Clowney is a more excellent, and consistently excellent, player than Teo; but, that is not clear to me. Thus, Teo gets the nod from me for a handful of huge plays that sealed crucial victories for ND (pick against OU, goal line stands against USC and Stanford).

Bump :)

VN Store

Back