Gruden Thread Daily Cliff's Notes **INFO ONLY - No Discussion Please**

Status
Not open for further replies.
11/28

pretty sure the rumor that hart is "out of the office" today and tomorrow to sit down in person with a certain coach and his agent is dead on. Whether they are finalizing or negotiating i have no idea. My money is on finalizing and heading back with an extra passenger or two for a friday announcement. Absolutely lines up with more than 90% of what i have heard.

Reactions: 2 people
The response from Tennessee:

"We will not comment. We are not discussing the dynamics of the search till the search is over." -- Jimmy Stanton, Associate Director of Communications

Tennessee is clearly not interested and not going to put any Gruden rumors to bed so they will continue throughout this coaching search.

Why will Tennessee not deny the Gruden rumors when given the opportunity? I will let you all figure that out.

Reactions: 6 people
11/28
i cannot get into the details at this time, so people asking me will be disappointed and possibly even angered... I'm only sharing this so that this place doesn't have a complete meltdown today after last night. I have yet to comment on anything gruden, but i am choosing to break my silence and say that it is no coincidence that last night's story broke in memphis...

I cannot get into the details yet due to work conflicts, but if you connect the dots and think about the situation you should be able to begin to figure it out.

Hint: A certain super coaching agent may or may not live and work in memphis...

Hint: This super coaching agent may or may not represent other candidates not named john gruden who are interested in the tennessee job...

Hint: This super agent may or may not have leaked this story to the same news station the lane kiffin news broke on hoping it would put pressure on hart and gruden to make this decision one way or the other sooner and more public than previously anticipated.

I will not get into details on anything further, but i will say we still have a good chance as of this am at 8 am cst of landing john gruden to be our head football coach next season. If something changes i will let you know... You can either make fun that i found it humorous to put bucksnort as my hometown or believe what i'm saying it makes no difference to me, just sharing a little snippet of what i'm allowed to say at this time.

FYI: Sexton is Jimbo Fisher's Agent.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
"Gruden linked to Vols Job" on ESPN in their menu items on the left of the screen as a talking point. On SportsCenter

I'll post what they say. Alot of smoke out there

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
11/28
This is absolutely, positively 100 PERCENT believable.

Sexton has been playing UT for YEARS.

In response to above post:

hold on now... That's a very strong and bold statement.

Let's look at the facts here:

1. Jimmy sexton graduated and was a manager at ut

2. His entire family bleeds orange

3. Any decisions he's made in getting us a football coach have been business first, which is how you operate a business. Period.

4. I can assure you that no one loves tn more or bleeds a truer shade of orange than mr. Sexton and his family for that matter.

This notion that he has somehow "played" this program by pushing his guys here is comical. Jimmy didn't make mike hamilton choose dooley over sumlin. Or make mike hamilton choose kiffin over kelly, hamilton made both of those decisions. You cannot fault a businessman for pushing his clients into positions of prominence.

11/28

there is a lot still to be determined from the gruden camp and a few contractual issues he's dealing with, which may or may not be part of the hold up from his end... If we get him as our next head coach i'd expect to hear something soon (by the end of the weekend) one way or the other. Cannot really go into more details than that at this time sorry. What i can say that as of this am around 8 or so i still feel good that gruden could be our next coach, but nothing is set in stone either way at this time.

Fuad Reviez said this morning in an interview with the sports monster here in the Tri-cities that Gruden is not coming to Tennessee. He said I want to make it clear. It's not going to happen.

"@TonyBasilio: 'I hear Dave Hart met with Gruden yesterday in Tampa. This is really heating up now. I'll still believe Gruden 2 Vols when I see it. #Vols"

Reactions: 5 people
Jon Gruden says Tennessee Volunteers have not offered him job to replace Derek Dooley - ESPN

Jon Gruden says he hasn't received an offer to coach Tennessee as part of a deal that includes becoming part owner of the NFL's Cleveland Browns.

According to a report by Memphis TV station WREG, Gruden was weighing an offer to coach the Volunteers that also would give him a piece of the Browns, who are owned by Jimmy Haslam -- brother of Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam. Their father, Jim, played on the Vols' 1951 national championship team.

Gruden, a former NFL coach and current "Monday Night Football" analyst, said Wednesday on ESPN Radio's "Mike & Mike In The Morning" that there is "no truth" to the report. In the past reports Gruden has been linkied to various NFL and college openings.

"I'm just excited about Monday Night Football and getting ready for the Giants and the Redskins," Gruden said. "I don't have time to get into all that stuff. I like what I'm doing and I'm just trying to hang on to the job I have. Let's leave it at that."

Browns spokesman Neal Gulkis said Jimmy Haslam has no involvement in the University of Tennessee's coaching search, and the report that Gruden would potentially have an ownership stake in the Browns is "completely erroneous."

Tennessee didn't immediately return a call from The Associated Press. The Vols are looking to replace Derek Dooley, who was fired on Nov. 18.

11/28

i'll repeat this from yesterday. I have known gus coogler for about 30 years. He is jimbo's father-in-law. I have known candy (coogler) fisher since she was a very little girl. Gus lives about 100 yds from me. He was at the house yesterday and said, " jimbo will only go to auburn if the money is right. If not he will stay at fsu."

Additional points made by former Vols-quarterback Jerry Colquitt on the Basilio Show:

"The Gruden Option – Does anyone get the feeling the longer this plays out the worse the outcome for the coaching search? As a fan, I am beaten down and my hopes are in the tank for a successful ending to all this drama. . . . The fact that we haven’t heard Gruden outwardly turn the job down to avoid distractions for Monday Night Football tells me two things.

HE HASN’T BEEN OFFERED THE JOB – This would be disturbing in that you have to question are we trying to be competitive if we’ve not offered him the job. I view Gruden as a true professional and with that Monday Football can’t be compromised. It’s in MNF’s best interest to squash rumors and avoid drama if he were offered the job. Also, accepting the coaching job at Tennessee with a month left of MNF isn’t the same as a coach in limbo who is on his way to another job – so there is no conflict of interest. That makes me believe he’s not been offered the job.

CHAMPIONSHIP WEEKEND – When you hear of top tier names being eliminated by this weekend, this spells trouble. Remember, NFL teams and ADs at the schools of the rumored candidates are well aware of their commodities being of interest for the Tennessee job. This means their bosses will be contacting them proactively to gauge their interest so they can replace them accordingly. With recruiting, bowl games and playoff games around the corner, they will make their employees publicly take their names out of the hat. If Jim Mora Jr, Charlie Strong, The Fishers, Jon Gruden, Gary Patterson or Dan Mullen’s name is taken out of the coaching hat this weekend, it will be a huge disappointment. Times will be reminiscent of the days of Mid Major Mike if none of these coaches are in play over the next week.

A worrisome part of all this is most teams “REQUEST TO INTERACT WITH A PROSPECTIVE COACH” and that is public and transparent. Yet, there’s been no public knowledge of Tennessee requesting for interaction with one of their employees. These requests are typically made public in early December during coaching changes. When news of this is made public, I will know Tennessee is zeroing in on a candidate.

So, I believe Gruden is not involved with Tennessee but he better be."

Per VQ

"Figured I'd throw out what I've heard, not that anyone will give it much credence I'm sure

I have a cousin who used to be a sports writer for the Tampa Tribune. He knows JG somewhat and said he is NFL all the way. His exact words were "Never happen. Forget it. Trust me on this". Got that text this morning

I also know one of Cindy Gruden's cousins fairly well. He talked to her mother over Thanksgiving and she said that they were seriously considering the UT job. According to her, JG is really struggling with leaving the booth, mainly because of his family and the time issue. Cindy feels like when he is coaching, she only has a husband for about 2 weeks a year. Its just the way he is. Coaching consumes him. There is the appeal of her moving back closer to her family and that might mitigate some of the concerns she has. The family (again, according to her cousin) feels like the NFL is not really an option. So as of last Thursday, they had not decided anything.

So there you have it. My sources are completely contradictory. I'd say thats why Brent and others are having such a hard time with this. Good, close sources are adamant both ways. Should be interesting.

TFWIW"

Reactions: 6 people
by Brent_Hubbs at 11/28 12:39 PM

Hey guys,

I know the timing of this is bad, but my daughter has to go see an allergist at 1pm here for some things she is dealing with. I will try and hit the board in the waiting room and will get right back to everyone ASAP.

Dave Hart is currently in the office and not one is putting anything rumor wise to bed regarding Gruden.

The rest of BJRPA is working to get all we can find out.

Thanks back soon, I promise.

Last edited:
As we noted last night, there were plans for Dave Hart to fly out of Knoxville to do some work. We felt like that work was in Florida, but Hart never left last night and he has been in town all day.

Sources have told us the work in Florida was to go see Gruden who declined the meeting and then of course this morning answered the Tennessee question for the first time on Mike and Mike in the morning.

Now, as we have noted coaches searches are fluid and things are always subject to change, but at this point the search for Tennessee's next head coach is centered around other names like Jimbo Fisher, Al Golden, Larry Fedora perhaps and Charlie Strong.

- Hubbs

@Josh_Ward: Also from @JimmyHyams: Tennessee expected to interview "several" candidates in next week. Announcement likely between Dec. 7-10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back