Nov. 26 - Jackson's Top-12

Beef, You like the naughty naughty coaches don't you? Surprised you passed on Tressel.

Well, you may be right. I would Franklin from that group. Would shallow some pride. Tubberville is a retread. Petrino and Payton are too dirty for me. Butch Davis is a retread. I'm not yet convinced on Butch Jones. How did he lose to Dooley?

Jimbo is one of, if not the biggest under achieving coaches in the country. He's had how many top 5-10 classes and can't win the ACC? He's had the easiest road to the national championship for 2 years, with phenomenal talent and chokes it away to horrible teams every year. Hell this year alone he lost to NC State! He's done that every year and he's had the most talented team in the ACC by a huge margin. I don't want a guy who can't win in a terrible conf like the ACC with the most talented team to try and lead us against the best in the country.
Dabo is a less talented idiot than Less Miles and he's dirtier.
Either of those 2 would be terrible hires.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Switch Butch Davis and Dan Mullen in your list and I'm ok with it.

Please, please stop talking about Al Golden, Butch Jones, Tommy Tubberville, and James Franklin.

Beef, You like the naughty naughty coaches don't you? Surprised you passed on Tressel.

Well, you may be right. I would take Franklin from that group. Would swallow some pride. Tubberville is a retread. Petrino and Payton are too dirty for me. Butch Davis is a retread. I'm not yet convinced on Butch Jones. How did he lose to Dooley?

And Butch Jones didn't get out coached by Dooley, he got out talented by a substantial margin.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Would you rather make $2.4 million per year, or $5 million per year?

That would be the only reason

Your logic isn't off per say.. but in big boy college football it isn't always about the money. Irs about ego and building dynastys. Muschamp would earn that extra 2 mil a year if he took the Tennessee job versus where he is with Florida. Same thing with Kelly.

Ok, I added him to the list under the ones I don't want. Sorry, at this point in his career, I just don't think Butch is the answer for us.

I would be okay with the Butch Davis hire, he is a defensive minded coach, and won back-to-back Superbowls as DC of the Cowboys under Jimmy Johnson... plus has HC experience, and lots of good coaching ties, along with his assistants going on to be HC's include Randy Shannon and Chuck Pagano. Is he the best candidate? No. But he isn't in the bottom tier by any means. He is getting old, at 61, which is one of the major flags I have on him, but he is a good coach.

Reactions: 1 person
Your logic isn't off per say.. but in big boy college football it isn't always about the money. Irs about ego and building dynastys. Muschamp would earn that extra 2 mil a year if he took the Tennessee job versus where he is with Florida. Same thing with Kelly.

True! And that is exactly why neither of those two guys will end up at UT. There is more to it than just the cash.

But if I am Dave Hart, I am carrying $5 million with me and holding under those top-10 guy's noses....all they can do is say no.

I would be okay with the Butch Davis hire, he is a defensive minded coach, and won back-to-back Superbowls as DC of the Cowboys under Jimmy Johnson... plus has HC experience, and lots of good coaching ties, along with his assistants going on to be HC's include Randy Shannon and Chuck Pagano. Is he the best candidate? No. But he isn't in the bottom tier by any means. He is getting old, at 61, which is one of the major flags I have on him, but he is a good coach.

Yeah, we could do a lot worse than Butch Davis. In general, I would like to see us get someone in that early 40's to mid-50's age range.

We have a dead period in recruiting from Dec 18 – Jan 3. So if you are going to be the new head coach at Tennessee , you want to get started asap right? However, you do have to fulfill your obligation to your current school for a conference title game. After that, you can depart prior to the bowl game. That is typically considered to be acceptable timing. So, using that logic, perhaps we can nail things down a bit:

Leading candidates who are available this week:
Jon Gruden
Chip Kelly
Dan Mullin
Will Muschamp
Dabo Sweeny

Leading candidates who are available starting next week:
David Shaw
Bob Stoops
Gary Patterson
Jimbo Fisher
Mike Gundy
Charlie Strong
Jim Mora Jr.

Guys I wish we would quit talking about:
Al Golden
James Franklin
Butch Jones
Art Briles
Tommy Tubberville
Sonny Dykes
Jim Tressel
Bobby Petrino
Kirby Smartt
Kliff Kingsbury
Sean Payton
Butch Davis

I could live with any of the second category. Tuberville and maybe Tressel out of the last, and all but Muschump and Mullen out of the first.
Sorry its out of order.

Me too...if we proceed for 3-4 days with no news....which I think we will, you can eliminate those first five from the list. Then I think it is either Jimbo or Patterson announced middle of next week.

If I was Dave Hart, I would be in Eugene Oregon this morning showing this right here to Chip Kelly...$5 million in cold hard cash....double his currrent salary. He has no ties to Eugene.

images

5 million in 100 dollar bills would weigh around 110 lbs.

Not sure Hart has that kind of upper body strength. He may need a suitcase with wheels.

Me too...if we proceed for 3-4 days with no news....which I think we will, you can eliminate those first five from the list. Then I think it is either Jimbo or Patterson announced middle of next week.

If I was Dave Hart, I would be in Eugene Oregon this morning showing this right here to Chip Kelly...$5 million in cold hard cash....double his currrent salary. He has no ties to Eugene.

images

I'm sure Chip would love to see that stack of $100 bills and would gladly take them, but if PK really wants to keep Chip Kelly at Oregon, he will gladly roll out another 10 thousand of them. Getting into a bidding war with Phil Knight wouldn't be very smart on our part.

I think Larry Fedora needs to be mentioned in the discussions.

4 bowl games in 4 seasons at Southern Miss.

SEC experience under Zook at Florida.

2 years at MTSU so he actually might have an ideal how to recruit the in state talent we do have unlike Dooley.

Took a UNC team facing a post season ban this year to an 8-4 record with three losses by a combined 9 points. The only real red flag was the blowout to GA Tech but that option is tough to face sometimes.

They are ranked three spots higher than the Vols in recruiting and facing much tougher NCAA sanctions than the Vols. Losing 5 scholarships a year for 3 years, post season ban this season, 3 years probation.

2.35 million dollar buyout, making 1.7 million a year so he would be one of the cheaper options among those listed.

Shouldn't be the first choice, but I'd have him in my top 10.

Reactions: 1 person

2 years at MTSU so he actually might have an ideal how to recruit the in state talent we do have unlike Dooley.

Took a UNC team facing a post season ban this year to an 8-4 record with three losses by a combined 9 points. The only real red flag was the blowout to GA Tech but that option is tough to face sometimes.

They are ranked three spots higher than the Vols in recruiting and facing much tougher NCAA sanctions than the Vols. Losing 5 scholarships a year for 3 years, post season ban this season, 3 years probation.

2.35 million dollar buyout, making 1.7 million a year so he would be one of the cheaper options among those listed.

Yeah, we talked about him quite a bit last year. The Mufreesboro bunch didn't think that highly of Larry. Plus I really prefer not to take a guy who has only been on his current job one year. Yes, I have Mora on the list but that is a drawback to him too.

A man who will give his word, and then up and leave after one year.....well, see Lane Kiffin. I don't think that is what we're looking for long term.

Fedora is in my top 20-30 group I guess.

Also this year without him as head coach, Southern Miss has gone from a 12 win team to 0-12!

If that doesn't show his worth I don't know what does!

Also this year without him as head coach, Southern Miss has gone from a 12 win team to 0-12!

If that doesn't show his worth I don't know what does!

Really? I did not know that. I wanted Dooley fired at this time last year. Sumlin and Fedora were in my Top-5 to replace him. But I think that ship has sailed.

What kind of man would up and leave North Carolina after one year?

I'm sure Chip would love to see that stack of $100 bills and would gladly take them, but if PK really wants to keep Chip Kelly at Oregon, he will gladly roll out another 10 thousand of them. Getting into a bidding war with Phil Knight wouldn't be very smart on our part.

I kinda think ole Phil Knight might let him go....?

I may be wrong. Chip has accomplished about all there is to do in Eugene. Let's see if that stuff works in the SEC.

We have a dead period in recruiting from Dec 18 – Jan 3. So if you are going to be the new head coach at Tennessee , you want to get started asap right? However, you do have to fulfill your obligation to your current school for a conference title game. After that, you can depart prior to the bowl game. That is typically considered to be acceptable timing. So, using that logic, perhaps we can nail things down a bit:

Leading candidates who are available this week:
Jon Gruden
Chip Kelly
Dan Mullin
Will Muschamp
Dabo Sweeny

Leading candidates who are available starting next week:
David Shaw
Bob Stoops
Gary Patterson
Jimbo Fisher
Mike Gundy
Charlie Strong
Jim Mora Jr.

Guys I wish we would quit talking about:
Al Golden
James Franklin
Butch Jones
Art Briles
Tommy Tubberville
Sonny Dykes
Jim Tressel
Bobby Petrino
Kirby Smartt
Kliff Kingsbury
Sean Payton
Butch Davis

Great thread JH and I like your list. I'm in the minority but I don't mind talking about Petrino and Franklin if all else fails. Otherwise, I'm with you.

I kinda think ole Phil Knight might let him go....?

I may be wrong. Chip has accomplished about all there is to do in Eugene. Let's see if that stuff works in the SEC.

I don't know if he does or not, but considering what Chip Kelly has done since he's been at Oregon, you would think he would like to hold onto him.

Unlike some, I think his offense could work in the SEC, but we would need a good DC and a solid two deep defense to hold up every game.

We saw that offense alone isn't going to get us very far in the SEC.

Really? I did not know that. I wanted Dooley fired at this time last year. Sumlin and Fedora were in my Top-5 to replace him. But I think that ship has sailed.

What kind of man would up and leave North Carolina after one year?

The kind that would like a 1 million per year or so raise. LOL

Plus, he would have much better resources and not facing the scholarship losses at UT.

I agree with you on being concerned with him leaving after just one season but times are different and loyalty is in short supply.

I don't see it much different than discussing Stoops or Patterson though. Both of those guys are fixtures at their institutions.

I think them leaving for a lateral move IMO would be as much as a slap in the face as what Kiffin did to us.

The kind that would like a 1 million per year or so raise. LOL

Plus, he would have much better resources and not facing the scholarship losses at UT.

I agree with you on being concerned with him leaving after just one season but times are different and loyalty is in short supply.

I don't see it much different than discussing Stoops or Patterson though. Both of those guys are fixtures at their institutions.

I think them leaving for a lateral move IMO would be as much as a slap in the face as what Kiffin did to us.

I would agree that Stoops would be making a lateral move coming here. For Patterson it would be a step up IMO. He is at a very small school that doesn't have anything near what he would have at his disposal here.

VN Store

Back