Is Jon Gruden a Viable Candidate at Tennessee?

I can't see UT spending 7 - 8 Million, I think anything over 5.5 is pushing it. That might be the only thing that stops this from happening.

Reactions: 2 people
That kind of money is eventually coming to college football. On a related note, I think it was Beano on Tony B. Show yesterday that made an interesting point about the 10 year/50 million rumor: might as well do it, because five years into the contract, bigtime coaches will probably be getting paid 6-8 million, so technically you're getting a steal at 5 million per year (assuming Gruden works out, which he should).

That kind of money is eventually coming to college football. On a related note, I think it was Beano on Tony B. Show yesterday that made an interesting point about the 10 year/50 million rumor: might as well do it, because five years into the contract, bigtime coaches will probably be getting paid 6-8 million, so technically you're getting a steal at 5 million per year (assuming Gruden works out, which he should).

Are we not paying Dooley $11 mil for 3 years? I think he is getting $2mil per year for 3 years and a $5mil buyout.

UT will never pay 7-8 million for a HC, nor should they

I wouldn't say never. I say give it 10-15 years and that will be the norm thanks to inflation, but I don't see them paying that this season which is what I assume you meant.

Are we not paying Dooley $11 mil for 3 years? I think he is getting $2mil per year for 3 years and a $5mil buyout.

Don't know how accurate it was, but I read somewhere that somebody (can't recall who) had worked the figures, and the 10 year deal for Gruden and staff would end up only being something like 15 or 20 million (maybe 25 tops; can't remember for sure) more during that span than if Dooley and staff's current contracts were extended over a 10 year period. 15 or 20 million sounds like a lot (and it is for me), but when you factor in the returns you're likely to get during that time, that 15 or 20 million could probably be paid off in a year or two under Gruden.

I don't know what the final coast will be but I will say whether it's 5 or 8 mllion it will be well worth the investment. Takes money to make money, the market is going to be at that rate in just a few years no matter what we do for a top notch coach.. It's not going down. Why pay 2 or 3 to get a coach that cannot take you to the top. If your not competing for titles you aren't going to be making money, if you hire a dud you're not going to make money. WE HAVE TO SEIZE THE MOMENT AND WE WILL!! GO VOLS GET GRUDEN!!!!!! GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!

What is the largest source of Revenue?

REVENUES Total ($)
Tickets 37,753,467
Donations 23,652,836
Marketing/IMG 9,737,410
SEC 20,208,777
Concessions/Souvenirs 3,024,782
Licensing 2,800,000
Endowment Interest 1,385,533
Student Fees from Campus 1,000,000
All Others 5,450,972
Camp Revenues 1,471,599
TOTAL REVENUES 106,485,376

Looks to me like ticket revenue. If that continues to decline, the UTAD may get swamped. The only viable thing to do is sell out Neyland every home game. The Troy game alone cost the University close to $3m. Add Mizzou to that and there is Grudens salary for the first year. Its not difficult math, and a huge hire is a necessity.

Reactions: 2 people
The silence is starting to suggest there is more to this than just rumors.. Seems like by now someone from Gruden's camp, or Gruden himself would have put these rumors to rest..

People need to realize, the University is not running this hiring, the boosters are leading the way. Which also means they are putting up the money.

Reactions: 1 person
College football has changed and especially with all the tv deals and upcoming playoffs, coaches are going to start making this. Used to be 3 million was a big deal. Vandy's coach makes more than that now. $5 million is the current high. It is just going to continue going up. Its either get on board and be a trend setter and major player or just blend into obscurity.

I can't see UT spending 7 - 8 Million, I think anything over 5.5 is pushing it. That might be the only thing that stops this from happening.

It wouldn't be spending it the boosters, aka Peyton,Thornton,Has, etc will be covering most of it while UT reaps the $ and other benefits as will us fans. I can see Gruden getting 5 mill plus with potential bonuses plus another 4 mill plus for whatever staff he wants to assemble. Way too many people are making too big of a deal with the money and buyouts. It's not going to cost the school anywhere near that but will make them who knows how many millions and will have a standing room only Neyland week in and out, which I haven't seen since early 2000. It's a win, win for the University. There is no way they would do it without commitment from donors and boosters.

Gruden name for the UT job coming out by another media source outside the UT family.
That is a good thing.

It is looking more and more like Gruden will be here Soon.

If that's the case, then Gruden would simply ask to have his contract re-negotiated. If there's anything we know about pro- and high-level collegiate sports, it's that the head coaches always win on contract matters.

Last edited:
If that's the case, then Gruden would simply ask to have his contract re-negotiated. If there's anything we know about pro- and high-level collegiate sports, it's that the head coaches always win on contract matters.

True.

What is the largest source of Revenue?

Looks to me like ticket revenue. If that continues to decline, the UTAD may get swamped. The only viable thing to do is sell out Neyland every home game. The Troy game alone cost the University close to $3m. Add Mizzou to that and there is Grudens salary for the first year. Its not difficult math, and a huge hire is a necessity.

This has been my contention all along. UT simply can't afford to mess this up.

This is correct and there are two ways to think about it... One: If Gruden is a stud-coach like we think he will be then 4-5 years in his contract will be renegotiated which, at that time, could mean flirting with 8-10 million per annum. Two: Gruden struggles and 5-6 years in his contract is priced at a discount to what the premier coaches in America are making. How is the second scenario that different than what we are in now? In any event, by locking a guy like Gruden into a long-term deal you are getting a lot more than just the guaranteed outlay...

VN Store

Back