Gruden Thread Daily Cliff's Notes **INFO ONLY - No Discussion Please**

Status
Not open for further replies.
ESPN NFL insider @mortreport is set to join us on the show right now. You can listen in at SportsTalk with Bo Mattingly .

Mort: The Tennessee job would be the only collegiate job that I think could really get Jon Gruden's attention.

Mort: The Arkansas coaching rumors flying around are getting silly. I've been hearing from NFL buddies, 'What's wrong with your people?'

Mort is Chris Mortensen.

Reactions: 7 people
Full Conversation:

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247

Jon Gruden is not on Tennessee's campus today. Honest question: What in the Smoking Hell is wrong with some of y'all?
Expand

24m JBCVOL JBCVOL ‏@JBCVOL

save this tweet RT @wesrucker247 Gruden is not on UT's campus today. Honest question: What in the Smoking Hell is wrong with some of y'all?
Expand

22m Wes Rucker Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247

@JBCVOL Why are you saving it? Never said he's not interested. He's interested. But he's not on campus TODAY.

Reactions: 2 people
PLEASE READ THE FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD BEFORE COMMENTING.

This thread isn't intended for discussion, but for "cliff notes".

Thanks.

:hi:

Reactions: 111 people
11/14, 9:44 pm

had a great conversation with a friend who happened to play in the mid eighties.first he is still very connected to the program.he said with out a shadow of doubt dooley was done.(which we all already knew).then he told me that jg was a ga when he was there.he said one of the reasons he thinks jg wants to be here is majors.i was in shock and ask why.he said think about this your a young coach hinging on every word of your first mentor.who better to tell the history and storys of tn.football than jm.said it has always left a huge impression on jg.thats the reason he values this job.in a way hes coming home to what he considers his football mecca.on a side note he said he is a very humble approachable guy.unlike what we just got rid of.he said he was going to take his dad to a practice this summer and was told he couldnt do it on the day he requested.so he went any way.when he got tohaslem field 20min before practice was starting dooley was there chewing out a gardner for the way he was triming the hedges.

Reactions: 6 people
Frank Frangie, co-host of an afternoon sports talk show in 1010 XL in Jacksonville, FL, has been calling Gruden to Tennessee since the offseason. Frangie is also a known longtime friend of Ron Zook, so Zook may be his source.

I most recently heard him mention Gruden to Tennessee on Oct. 29. Frangie said he "really thinks" Gruden is the next Tennessee coach. He pointed out that he said that on the air during the offseason, and people thought he was crazy, but he believed it then and still believes it now. He said he knows there have been conversations.

They were discussing each SEC hot seat. A co-host said he expects Dooley to survive the season and then be fired.

Sorry, I haven't found an audio clip, but here's a link to a Florida fan saying he'd heard Frangie say this on the air, a description of Frangie's show, and a link to an article quoting Frangie discussing Zook and Gruden.

From GatorSports.com:
"Frank Frangie seems to believe Gruden is a done deal. He's been saying that for a whole."
GatorSports.com | View topic - Dooley at some point in time will be fired by UT

Frank Frangie's show:
http://pro.wjxl-fm.tritonflex.com/page/The_Frank_Frangie_Show_with_Rick_Ballou/131

Article from this past summer about Zook:
"
"Football is in his system," said Frank Frangie, a Jacksonville radio host and longtime Zook friend. "That's why he and Jon (Gruden) spend so much time together watching tape and talking football. He's as happy and relaxed as I've ever seen him but still chomping at the bit for the next thing."
Frangie talks to Zook almost every day.
"
Fired coaches: $itting pretty | IlliniHQ.com

I've had coworkers tell me more than once since August that they heard Frangie calling Gruden to Tennessee. Frangie isn't a national radio host, but this is Gator/Dawg/Nole country; this isn't a place for Vol homers.

Reactions: 17 people
john slowey ‏@jslowey
@jasonlacanfora are you aware you gave half of the state of tennessee a chub with your gruden comments this morning?
Expand reply retweet favorite
13 nov jason la canfora ‏@jasonlacanfora
@jslowey he flirts often and then pulls away. We shall see. I hear a lot of rumblings about this possibility.
Retweeted by george ebel
hide conversation reply retweet favorite
11/15

11/15 Morning

Tony Basillio

Now, I am happy to report exclusively here that there has been some movement on the Gruden front. Remember, I've been telling you that Tennessee wanted to make sure that Gruden would take the UT job before any offer was ever extended to him???? Well, it's getting very interesting around here right now. Sources really close to this situation tell me that Gruden's agent Bob LaMonte has told Tennessee that Gruden WOULD TAKE THE TENNESSEE job if offered. Here's where it gets really interesting. Gruden's financial demands are mindboggling in this day and age.

Reactions: 17 people
Ainge on the other hand came out this morning and said that we should all ignore the Gruden rumors that re-surfaced this week and again affirmed that Gruden will not be Tennessee's new coach.
He said there are 5 people who are the real decision makers: Hart, Butt Cheek and 3 more;
Then there are 20 more guys with somewhat of an input and with an idea of what's going on which is where his source is, one of the 20; BUT, Ainge then said that the ones who really know what's going on are the 5 and that the 20 only get fed some stuff by the 5;

Reactions: 3 people
11/15 Morning - Entire Basilio Blog Entry. Might as well put it all in for future reference.

Now, I am happy to report exclusively here that there has been some movement on the Gruden front. Remember, I've been telling you that Tennessee wanted to make sure that Gruden would take the UT job before any offer was ever extended to him???? Well, it's getting very interesting around here right now. Sources really close to this situation tell me that Gruden's agent Bob LaMonte has told Tennessee that Gruden WOULD TAKE THE TENNESSEE job if offered. Here's where it gets really interesting. Gruden's financial demands are mindboggling in this day and age.

Gruden's Demands:
A guaranteed 10 year deal @ $5 million per year.
A kitty of $4-5 million per year for his assistants.

I can report that Tennessee hasn't given LaMonte any answer to this. Remember, I told you yesterday that things from UT's end has cooled recently on Gruden as they have some concerns about his style correlating to the major college level. But I've been telling you these concerns wouldn't be a deal breaker in this situation if Gruden could alleviate these concerns.

I believe Tennessee could seek some wiggle room in these terms but LaMonte has given indication that the terms requested are pretty firm. In other words, Tennessee could come back with something lower but not much lower.

I believe The Gruden/Tennessee deal is still in play. It's far from a done deal as some have said. And it's not completely over yet either. I expect this flirtation to continue for a while.

This latest turn with LaMonte telling Dave Hart and UT's brass that Gruden is interested in coming is quite a development.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
11/15/12 1PM

Everybody thinks Gruden love ‘em. Everybody. Over the past four years Gruden’s agent has floated more rumors than Goodyear has floated blimps. College jobs, pro jobs, Gruden’s always “a done deal” somewhere. Currently he’s a done deal — depending on who you ask — to land at Arkansas, Tennessee, the Philadelphia Eagles, the Cleveland Browns and the Dallas Cowboys.

Now, having said all of that, Gruden does have some ties to the UT job. And he’s most definitely atop the Rocky Top wish list. Gruden was a grad assistant at Tennessee in the 1980s under Johnny Majors, who remains a friend to the coach. He met and married a Tennessee cheerleader while on the Volunteer staff. Her family is still living in the Knoxville area. So who knows what the family pull for Gruden might be regarding the UT job (the one that’s currently filled by Derek Dooley, by the way)?

Gruden has actually spoken to Tennessee officials during previous UT searches. While the messageboards have lit up with talk of contract agreements and announcements — it was actually rumored that Gruden would announce he’d accepted the UT job during “Monday Night Football” a few weeks back! — the biggest of big boosters knew then and know now that Gruden is a dream hire, a long shot. That doesn’t mean they aren’t working on him to this day.

In fact, an industry source told us yesterday that Gruden-to-Tennessee isn’t dead yet. That source and a source close to the UT athletic department have both told MrSEC.com that Gruden’s monetary demands have dropped a bit over the past few weeks. (In case you’re wondering, while Dooley said Monday that he’d been told by AD Dave Hart that no decision had been made about his future, we’ve learned that staff members close to Dooley already know that the die has indeed been cast.)

One of the sources we spoke with did throw out the caveat that an NFL club approaching Gruden with a bigger pile of money might lead “Chucky” to walk away at the last minute and leave Tennessee weeping at the altar.

The other rumor that seems to make some sense is the Gruden-to-Tennessee talk. We at MrSEC.com know there has been communication between the two parties. We know that there are family issues that could tug at Gruden’s heart strings. We know that Tennessee’s power brokers are fully aware that he’s the only “home run” candidate who would please 99% of a currently deflated Vol fanbase. And we’ve also been told his cash demands have dropped a bit.

But on a scale of 1-10, we still give the chances of Gruden taking over in Knoxville a three at best. The man coached in the college ranks from 1986 through 1989 and has spent that last 20+ years coaching or broadcasting pro games. Plus, higher-paying NFL clubs are reportedly looking at him, too. (Ironically, the same Haslam family that just bought the Cleveland Browns has long been the biggest benefactor of UT’s athletic department).

Anything is possible.

Redskins Sports radio saying Raheem Morris and Jon Gruden talking...

?@HTTR24_7
#Redskins Gruden has eyes on taking Raheem Morris to College football to be his DC.

@CarbonPrimo
@HTTR24_7 Gruden got a college coaching job?
?
@HTTR24_7
@CarbonPrimo a lot of talk about him going to Tennessee.. Rumor has him wanting Raheem as his DC.

Reactions: 32 people
Clay Travis doubles down on Gruden to Tenn for 6 mill a year on WJOX.

Says talks about staff are already taking place and it would take an NFL job like San Diego or Philly to get in the way of it happening.

11/15 from TOS
Originally posted by Brent_Hubbs:
I have confirmation that Gruden is not in town as some have suggested.

Otherwise, it just depends on who you talk to. No one tells me a deal is done or close to done. But some are telling me that it's not dead in the water.

Gruden continues to talk to coaches who could be potential staff members for him and the college game is a part of that discussion.

But that's really all I can confirm.

11/15/12 6:15PM

When asked what percent he would put on the likelihood of Gruden coming:
99.99999999%

I fully 100% believe a complete agreement has been reached. Not spouting of about sources or specifics, but I believe it fully. Also believe Raheem Morris has been contacted about the DC position.

JayVols 7:01

Guys, if you have been following this saga since Gruden I, you know that I have been saying Gruden coming to UT was a real possibility. I've been here for the highs and lows. I have been cautious- very cautious actually. I have very recently heard from several folks that I have been in contact with throughout this ordeal and others that have been getting information from different places. They have been scary accurate with what they have told me. I have complete trust in and respect for these individuals- great folks. They have been cautious as well. However, things have changed and for the better over the last two days. I got all that I needed, and in spite of my normal cautiousness, I'm with Lex, Boro, and all the other OG's that's gone all in:

WE GOT HIM!

I have nothing on a timeline. Not trying to be a jerk, but I don't care about a timeline. The most important item is that based on what I have been told, UT Football will soon have a man at the helm capable of resurrecting us from the ashes. It probably won't happen overnight, but we will shortly have someone worthy of our faith in the UT Football program. Before long, we will have a guy that is relentless in his pursuit of excellence. In summation, we will forthwith have a coach worthy of the title of Head Football Coach at The University of Tennesse. We have been down in the recent past- way down, but the worm is turning. The college football world (the SEC in particular) better prepare it's anus. Tennessee is coming back soon.....and hell's coming with us.

Haters, doubters, "real insiders", Dooley apologists, Duck Meat, or whoever, can keep on keeping on if that's your thing. I don't care what you think. Nothing can take away my immense joy at this moment because it would take a Myanesque apocalypse to prevent Jon Gruden from being the next head football coach at The University of Tennessee. As my dad used to say "If you're mad, might as well scratch your hind-end and get glad." It's done. Others can believe it or not.

Reactions: 65 people
11/15 7:26 pm

hey guys, just to throw a little more gas on the fire, my dad has a source that is 2nd to the action and he just got a text saying an mou (or something of that nature) has indeed been signed and that jay graham will be retained. Said a group of 5 came up with the money and peyton was an influence as well.

Reactions: 19 people
Originally Posted by VFL44
1h Raleigh McCammon ‏@RaleighMcCammon
@ClayTravisBGID Gruden's kids toured Webb School yesterday. That's 100% fact. Not saying he's coming at all, but that's interesting.
Expand
13m Clay Travis ‏@ClayTravisBGID
@RaleighMcCammon I've seen that multiple places, but can anyone confirm it? How do you know it's 100%?
Hide conversation Reply Retweet Favorite
5:38 PM - 15 Nov 12 · Details
32m Raleigh McCammon ‏@RaleighMcCammon
@ClayTravisBGID I'm the youth pastor for sophomore class there. I had like 30 kids text me
Expand

Clay Travis ‏@ClayTravisBGID
Webb student says no. RT @WillCarter27: I go to Webb, and no, this is complete B.S.

Clay Travis ‏@ClayTravisBGID
Youth pastor says yes. RT @RaleighMcCammon: sitting with 15 kids from Webb right now. They all say it's true.

Babyvol, on TOS saying he feels as confident as ever about gruden. Reliable and conservative with what he puts out there.

Reactions: 1 person
Hubbs

There are several other sources who are close to Gruden who believe that ultimately Gruden will return to the NFL because that's where he is most comfortable. He could get a job where he has control. Several who know Gruden well think that he would not be happy in the college game. He was never big on rookies and younger players. The 20-hour rule would be really foreign to him as in the NFL he was one of the most time demanding coaches in the league. And then there would be the recruiting element as well.

All that being said, Gruden has continued to have conversations with coaches he has known through the years that might be possible staff members with them and he has talked to them about both the NFL and the college game, which would obviously include Tennessee. And those conversations have taken place as late as Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back