Thoughts on Kentucky

Was half-joking. Looks like everyone is fine with it here :hi:

While it probably belongs in the around the NCAA forum, it will get a much better reception here. They need to split that forum into sport specific forums. Or just make "around college basketball" or "SEC Basketball" a sub-forum of this one.

According to the past 3 years that's doubtful. We'll be top 3 in the SEC without a doubt and probably top 10 team. Of course im somewhat of a homer but im sure some would agree. We'll be more than capable of getting to the final four given the right road. That's what comes down to a lot of teams getting to the final four. UT will be more than capable. All depends on how the NCAA makes the brackets.

Regardless, most UK fans view this season as a "bridge year". 2010-11 season for an example. Some guys will go pro and the ones who don't will add depth and experience to our monster 2013 class.

This team's roster is so much worse than any roster Calipari has had at UK. My concern as a UK fan would be who is going to score?

Ok...just looked at UK's nonconference schedule and it's really weak outside of four games. They'll lose 3 of those and likely 5 to 6 SEC games. So 8 to 9 losses.

I think they'll have 10 or more regular season losses.

I really don't see that, but agree to disagree. I concede they are Cal's least experienced and probably least talented team, if you can call it that. They still have more raw talent in their top 7 than 99% of the rest.

Ok...just looked at UK's nonconference schedule and it's really weak outside of four games. They'll lose 3 of those and likely 5 to 6 SEC games. So 8 to 9 losses.

I guess the 3 or so regulars didn't want this in their bb forum. Anyway, I agree this is the worst UK team Cal has had since he has been there. They have a ways to go before they are cohesive at all but 8 loses is max. They should be favored in every game this year but maybe 2-3. But you never know, these cats may not gel at all.

I guess the 3 or so regulars didn't want this in their bb forum. Anyway, I agree this is the worst UK team Cal has had since he has been there. They have a ways to go before they are cohesive at all but 8 loses is max. They should be favored in every game this year but maybe 2-3. But you never know, these cats may not gel at all.

Actually, the majority of us regulars would just as soon have this left in the basketball forum as it relates to our basketball team as well. Mods see fit to move it though.

Dook will win tomorrow due to inexperience, but it will be a good experience for March.

Neither team has good guard play right now and I would have to give the edge to duke down low. Will def miss upperclassmen like liggins and miller.

Neither team has good guard play right now and I would have to give the edge to duke down low. Will def miss upperclassmen like liggins and miller.

Veterans like Miller and Liggins are so underrated because they play tough defense, are quality shooters, and don't require a high volume of shots. So much of basketball is chemistry. UK is going to struggle to find it this year.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Agreed. I think the talent for this basketball season is not up to the level of a lot of SEC teams. If Calipari can get this team to 25 regular season wins, he'll gain a ton of respect IMO. This is by far his worst team at UK.

3 top 15 recruits including number 1...talent is down by UK standards but not by SEC standards

Mays is the grandpa on this squad. Even tho he's a transfer, he's already a leader getting the kids to work together. He very much will step into that Darius Miller role. Polson is a Jr, and from indications will get some PT.

Reports of KY's demise are greatly exaggerated. The first game is just that....don't expect anyone to be in March form. Harrow had the flu and did not play up to expectations vs. Maryland. It's reported that he won't make the trip to Atlanta either. But he'll be fine, and will come along as the season goes by.

GBB.

Veterans like Miller and Liggins are so underrated because they play tough defense, are quality shooters, and don't require a high volume of shots. So much of basketball is chemistry. UK is going to struggle to find it early this year.
Fyp

I would be very careful to dismiss the team so early - imo KY will win the SEC and end up with about 6-8 losses - they will be a 2 seed and make a deep tourney run again

the team just needs to gel and they have plenty of pieces that can start to come together for a really good run

people discount Cal as a coach but his teams really get better through the year so I see this team having a lot of upside

This team's roster is so much worse than any roster Calipari has had at UK. My concern as a UK fan would be who is going to score?

I don't see that much of a disparity in this team and the 2011 final four team

3 top 15 recruits including number 1...talent is down by UK standards but not by SEC standards

I'm not saying these kids won't be good, just that they are not on the level of the past classes Calipari has brought in at UK and Memphis. I see no dominant PG on this team. Cal's teams always have a dominant PG. Each of the 3 top-15 freshmen have significant deficiencies in their respective games right now. Noel has no offensive game. Goodwin struggles shooting the ball, and Poythress lacks confidence and seems to be a step behind the play.

I think people are mistaking talent for performance this year.

I'm not saying these kids won't be good, just that they are not on the level of the past classes Calipari has brought in at UK and Memphis. I see no dominant PG on this team. Cal's teams always have a dominant PG. Each of the 3 top-15 freshmen have significant deficiencies in their respective games right now. Noel has no offensive game. Goodwin struggles shooting the ball, and Poythress lacks confidence and seems to be a step behind the play.

I think people are mistaking talent for performance this year.

I think you are judging far too much off of one game - and one game w/o the PG you are saying they lack

when Ryan Harrow comes back from the flu this team will have all the pieces they need to be elite

word from many close to UK bball is that Harrow consistently drubbed Teague last year in practice so what you are saying is a weakness could well be the team's strength once he gets over the flu

To illustrate my point, look at UK's rosters during Calipari's tenure. The rosters with some upperclassmen ('09-'10 and '11-'12) were very successful. The one year without much upperlcassmen (still had 2 JRs and 1 SR), UK had 9 losses. This year's team is no where near as good as the 3 previous seasons. How many kids on this year's roster would have received many minutes the past few years?

2009-2010 (35-3)
Wall (FR)
Miller (SO), Bledsoe (FR)
Dodson (SO), Liggins (SO), Harris (SR)
Patterson (JR), Stevenson (SR)
Cousins (FR), Orton (FR), Harrelson (JR)

2010-2011 (29-9)
Knight (FR)
Lamb (FR)
Miller (JR), Liggins (JR)
Jones (FR)
Harrelson (SR), Vargas (JR)

2011-2012 (38-2)
Teague (FR)
Lamb (SO), Miller (SR)
Kidd-Gilchrist (FR)
Jones (SO), Wiltjer (FR)
Davis (FR), Vargas (SR)

2012-2013
Harrow (SO), Polson (JR)
Goodwin (FR), Mays (SR)
Poythress (FR)
Wiltjer (SO)
Noel (FR), Cauley-Stein (FR)

I think you are judging far too much off of one game - and one game w/o the PG you are saying they lack

when Ryan Harrow comes back from the flu this team will have all the pieces they need to be elite

word from many close to UK bball is that Harrow consistently drubbed Teague last year in practice so what you are saying is a weakness could well be the team's strength once he gets over the flu

I had these thoughts prior to the season. More than anything, I am comparing this team to the past team's Calipari has had, and it pales in comparison. Time will tell.

I had these thoughts prior to the season. More than anything, I am comparing this team to the past team's Calipari has had, and it pales in comparison. Time will tell.

I don't think they are as talented as the first Cal team or last year so I am not disagreeing there

but they aren't going to be playing those teams - they are playing the current NCAA field this year and compared to that they are still very, very talented

Cal still took the down team you mention (and you are correct that they are a down team comparatively) to the final four so ruling out a great year, an SEC championship and a deep NCAA run i think is very premature

when Harrow comes back this team will start to gel and they will be more talented than every team they play the rest of the year (harrow is not playing tonight so not counting tonight)

I don't think they are as talented as the first Cal team or last year so I am not disagreeing there

but they aren't going to be playing those teams - they are playing the current NCAA field this year and compared to that they are still very, very talented

Cal still took the down team you mention (and you are correct that they are a down team comparatively) to the final four so ruling out a great year, an SEC championship and a deep NCAA run i think is very premature

when Harrow comes back this team will start to gel and they will be more talented than every team they play the rest of the year (harrow is not playing tonight so not counting tonight)

The '10-'11 team had Miller, Liggins, and Harrelson. Those 3 guys were instrumental to that teams success. This team has Mays and Polson as upperclassmen. Mays and Harrow are going to have to be elite for this year's team to be very good.

VN Store

Back