John Pennington's gut says Petrino

Well after paying a lot of money to listen to rammer jammer over and over in my teams stadium the last 3 times they have been here then I am on the do what it takes to win train.

Because Petrino never beat Alabama. hmm. that train is not ideal.

Misleading opening post, it sounding like Pennington was saying "in my gut I know Tennessee will go after Petrino". Pennington was just talking about the likelyhood of Petrino going to Kentucky, Tennessee, or Auburn.

"At Tennessee, Derek Dooley appears to be on his last legs as well. Most believe he entered the season needing to reach the eight-win plateau to survive. That would take a 5-0 finish at this point and that seems unlikely for a team with a bad defense and a passing game that disappears in conference play. If Dooley isn’t retained, AD Dave Hart will definitely make a run straight to ex-Tampa Bay coach and current ESPN analyst Jon Gruden. Once Gruden flirts with the Vols — as he has before — and then chooses to head back to the broadcast booth or an NFL sideline, Petrino might start looking pretty darn good. UT cannot afford anything less than a proven commodity next time around and Petrino has proven that he can win football games in the SEC."

Let The Race For Petrino Begin

I think he was fine with Kiff...until he hired Yaw Yaw.

Petrino doesn't accuse other SEC coaches of recruiting violations when he himself was comitting some. Kiffin(pot) who I liked,called the kettle black.

Because Petrino never beat Alabama. hmm. that train is not ideal.

I would rather have Petrino than Dooley in that game. I am not in favor of what he did either, but I use most of my extra money for my TN tickets and I am sick of going up there to see them lose EVERYTIME they play a big team.

I don't know what makes him say it, but Will West just posted a link from Mr. SEC that talks about openings. I'm on mobile, so of someone wants to post it, that'd be cool.

If Pennington is right, I'm going to be sick.

I just saw this he gives Dooley a 3% chance of keeping his job and predicts Petrino to be the next HC at Tennessee. He makes it seem like he thinks Petrino is the second choice with Gruden being the first.

Last edited:
I know I am in the minority, but I would rather have a great coach that is a sh&%*y person than a sh&%*y coach that is a great person

Reactions: 1 person
I know I am in the minority, but I would rather have a great coach that is a sh&%*y person than a sh&%*y coach that is a great person

If all you care about is the football, Petrino would be a great hire. If you care about the university, he's a revolting, embarrassing, terrible hire. I'd rather have five more years of Dooley than hire that turd.

Reactions: 4 people
If all you care about is the football, Petrino would be a great hire. If you care about the university, he's a revolting, embarrassing, terrible hire. I'd rather have five more years of Dooley than hire that turd.

At the very least, he might top the embarrassment of the Kiffin departure...:)

But I do agree that he does define "morally bankrupt"

No way no how Hart would think for a second the fans would swallow that embarrassment of a human being. Cmon.

It makes me sick that we'd settle for a guy that left all his previous teams in rough situations. It took Louisville finding Charlie Strong before they could recover. Who knows how long Arky will be down.

He didn't leave Arky. They fired him for a ridiculous reason, and they're paying for it.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Yep. Me too. Guy is a chunk of excrement.
Your quote about the potential of Petrino coaching here that zjc has in his sig is one of the funniest things I have ever read on this site.

Edit for those who haven't seen it

My biggest nightmare as a Vol fan would be watching us win the SEC championship under Petrino. It would be like sitting in the audience at the adult video awards and trying to be happy for her as my daughter took home the prize for best anal scene of the year.

Reactions: 4 people
If Petrino is hired, I'll not longer support UT athletics with my wallet and/or fan support.

I don't know what makes him say it, but Will West just posted a link from Mr. SEC that talks about openings. I'm on mobile, so of someone wants to post it, that'd be cool.

If Pennington is right, I'm going to be sick.

Yeah, I just heard that too. Same reaction. If it's Petrino, I think I'm done.

Here's what a Petrino hire means:

1. The boosters decided to go the cheap route again. Sure maybe they chased after Gruden and offered alot of money to him. Great. But when that one didn't work out, they fell back on the same strategy that landed us Dooley, i.e. find someone who they think is a bargain. I am rather worried this will happen. In my industry, I've dealt with one of the Haslems' businesses and I have colleagues who have worked for them. They're known to lowball their employees and generally pay below market standards and as a result, they have high turnover and subpar results. Maybe this isn't how they run all of their businesses, but just knowing that makes me a bit apprehensive that they will try to find another bargain hire.

2. It means that we'll look ridiculous in the national media. I mean, isn't it enough that we've been irrelevant for the last 3 years (if not more)? Do we have to look stupid and morally bankrupt now too?

3. It means we've just given up on ever beating Saban. Petrino has regularly gotten embarassed by Saban. I know he's done pretty well overall against the top 25, but he's only beaten 1 top ten team right? I know, where we're sitting now, that all looks pretty good, but I'd rather hire an up and comer who has a high ceiling than a known commodity who has already shown that he can't win regularly against the best.

4. It means that we've given up on recruiting the best. Petrino gets second tier players. Even when he had Arkansas highly ranked, he couldn't bring in top talent. Now he's got the extra scandal stigma to deal with. I know some people think you can't recruit top classes to UT, but Majors did it, and Fulmer did it, and Kiffin was in the midst of doing it when he left. Recruiting has been the basis of our success the past 30 years. It doesn't make sense to bring in someone who isn't good at it.

5. It means that we don't care about the future. Petrino isn't going to make something others can build on. He's never left a team in good shape for the next guy to follow him. Hiring Petrino basically means that we're happy winning 10 games for a handful of seasons (and still losing to Alabama and, probably, Florida every year) and then doing another rebuild from the ashes once it inevitably goes south. I know Dooley was sold to dumb fans as an "up-and-comer" but he was always a loser. Why not hire an actual up-and-comer this time (if you can't get a Gruden or Petersen or Patterson), someone like a Butch Jones or Sonny Dykes, someone who can potentially grow with the program and build something long lasting?

Last edited:
That name and Carrols are on the tops of the boosters lists.

More reasons why this whole thing scares me and we can't screw it up. I mean, our top 3 targets may be gruden, Carroll and petrino. 2 NFL coaches and a winning coach that is not a man of any integrity. At all.

It makes me sick that we'd settle for a guy that left all his previous teams in rough situations. It took Louisville finding Charlie Strong before they could recover. Who knows how long Arky will be down.
It's not like Louisville was a perennial powerhouse when Petrino took over....Petrino has improved every single team he has coached....Sorry but he is a winner...He's made some mistakes but hell he is human...He would turn this ship around thats for sure.

That name and Carrols are on the tops of the boosters lists.

More reasons why this whole thing scares me and we can't screw it up. I mean, our top 3 targets may be gruden, Carroll and petrino. 2 NFL coaches and a winning coach that is not a man of any integrity. At all.

I disagree.

I think the third coach behind Gruden and Carroll is currently employed in college football.

After Kiffin and Pearl, I'd say the chances of us going after someone like Petrino is less than 1%.

He didn't leave Arky. They fired him for a ridiculous reason, and they're paying for it.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

You're right... He didn't leave Arkansas. But he doesn't recruit top-notch talent. He recruits system players. So if he were to get fired here, he would leave us with a bunch of system players that would be back to losing to Bama and Florida all over again.

Your quote about the potential of Petrino coaching here that zjc has in his sig is one of the funniest things I have ever read on this site.

Edit for those who haven't seen it

:eek:lol: OMG that is hilarious!!

VN Store

Back