Huge loss for vandy/Gain for Vols

BruinVol

One of the best pitching coaches in all of American is leaving vandy for pro ball. Huge loss for Corbin and DS needs to take advantage especially in recruiting.

Reactions: 4 people
There are only a select few posters on here that care about this topic I fully realize that. That's why it's posted in the baseball forum. Idiots complaining about the thread can simply shy clear of the baseball forum. It's really not hard to understand for those of us that didn't ride the short bus to school.

Reactions: 4 people
One of the best pitching coaches in all of American is leaving vandy for pro ball. Huge loss for Corbin and DS needs to take advantage especially in recruiting.

Thanks for the notice, I hadn't heard. This really is good news. Hopefully, with Serrano's record as a "pitcher's coach" we can take advantage.

Thanks for the notice, I hadn't heard. This really is good news. Hopefully, with Serrano's record as a "pitcher's coach" we can take advantage.

Stone and Sheffield, two former Vol commits, need to be pushed for a change of heart. They might be willing to listen.

This is HUUUUUUGE. I cannot stress enough how big this is for our program. Recruits now have questions about Vandy. Without DJ, Vandy is not even close to the recruiting power they have been. I never thought we would see him leave Vandy. We need to make our mark on any and all in state guys now scratching their heads about Vandy. I think Sheffeild's performance at the WWBA's this weekend put him into to the pro-signing category. We should revisit Stone, though.

This is HUUUUUUGE. I cannot stress enough how big this is for our program. Recruits now have questions about Vandy. Without DJ, Vandy is not even close to the recruiting power they have been. I never thought we would see him leave Vandy. We need to make our mark on any and all in state guys now scratching their heads about Vandy. I think Sheffeild's performance at the WWBA's this weekend put him into to the pro-signing category. We should revisit Stone, though.

I agree on all fronts. I knew this would be exciting to a select few diehards.

While this is a HUGE loss for our program, it's not that big of a loss in recruiting. We lost our best recruiter in Josh Holliday who is now the head baseball coach at Oklahoma State. But we bounced back from him leaving and hired Coach Jewett from Arizona State.

We will lose in the development of our pitchers. I saw some post an interesting stat....since 2001 there have been 6 pitchers taken in the first round that went to vandy:

Jeremy Sowers
David Price
Casey Weathers
Mike Minor
Sonny Gray
Grayson Garvin

Out of those 6, only 1 was a first round pick out of HS(sowers). So it speaks volumes about his coaching which will be missed moreso than his recruiting.

I wish DJ the best of luck but Theo and the Cubs can go f themselves

By the way...losing one coach isn't going to make up that much ground.

We are still in elite status in eyes of the rest of the country.

The only status you have is the award for biggest underachieving program! Elite programs go to Omaha more than once.

Is that why all the pundits like Aaron Fitt and Kendall Rogers have deemed Vanderbilt and elite program?

We still have Tim Corbin last I checked.

The only status you have is the award for biggest underachieving program! Elite programs go to Omaha more than once.

This! A one time trip to the CWS (without a title to boot) does not make you elite. Return trips with titles (see S. Carolina) makes you elite. Try again Vandy. More "Anchor Down" instead of "Anchors Away"???

While this is a HUGE loss for our program, it's not that big of a loss in recruiting. We lost our best recruiter in Josh Holliday who is now the head baseball coach at Oklahoma State. But we bounced back from him leaving and hired Coach Jewett from Arizona State.

We will lose in the development of our pitchers. I saw some post an interesting stat....since 2001 there have been 6 pitchers taken in the first round that went to vandy:

Jeremy Sowers
David Price
Casey Weathers
Mike Minor
Sonny Gray
Grayson Garvin

Out of those 6, only 1 was a first round pick out of HS(sowers). So it speaks volumes about his coaching which will be missed moreso than his recruiting.

I wish DJ the best of luck but Theo and the Cubs can go f themselves

I am not going to argue whether or not you're elite. There are no doubts in my mind that Vandy is an elite baseball program. They haven't been there long, and it shows in their lone trip to Omaha, but this game isn't easy. It shows.

That being said, losing DJ hurts massively in recruiting. Its not the direct recruiting effect that's going on. DJ has a seal of approval. I cannot think of a pitcher that has lost draft stock under DJ. HS pitchers know that. His ability as a coach, not as a recruiter is the reason for the great success in recruiting, specifically of pitchers. Tim Corbin is and always has been the best recruiter on that staff (maybe Bakich) but the best recruiting TOOL has always been DJ, without question. You are now just another school, no longer Pitcher University.

I am not going to argue whether or not you're elite. There are no doubts in my mind that Vandy is an elite baseball program. They haven't been there long, and it shows in their lone trip to Omaha, but this game isn't easy. It shows.

That being said, losing DJ hurts massively in recruiting. Its not the direct recruiting effect that's going on. DJ has a seal of approval. I cannot think of a pitcher that has lost draft stock under DJ. HS pitchers know that. His ability as a coach, not as a recruiter is the reason for the great success in recruiting, specifically of pitchers. Tim Corbin is and always has been the best recruiter on that staff (maybe Bakich) but the best recruiting TOOL has always been DJ, without question. You are now just another school, no longer Pitcher University.

Navery moore disagrees with your statement about no pitchers losing their draft value. Other than that, great post!!! They do have elite talent without a doubt but elite programs get results. They haven't

Navery moore disagrees with your statement about no pitchers losing their draft value. Other than that, great post!!! They do have elite talent without a doubt but elite programs get results. They haven't

Navery Moore also had ACL surgery and hurt his arm when he went against the coaching staff's wants. Good post though about nothing

I think this is a fair assessment. This is a huge blow to our program but I have faith in Corbin in that he will make a slam dunk hire. You can't fully replace a Derek Johnson into opinion. You can only do your best to soften the blow and fill it the best of your ability.

As for the final statement, I'm not sure we were ever regarded as pitcher university.

VN Store

Back