Baseball Recruiting Class Ranked No. 20

VN News

Tennessee head coach Dave Serrano's first recruiting class with the Vols is one of the nation's best according to Baseball America, which ranked the UT crop at No. 20

More...

Discuss.

Is everyone in that class coming for sure or are there some who could go pro? TIA.

No one in baseball ranks recruiting classes before they are enrolled and on campus. Once they are here, they're here for 3 years. So no, no one is going pro from this class for another 3 years at least.

Reactions: 1 person
nice haul for his first class, especially coming in ahead of the Gators. I suspect things will only get better from here. Now the key will be taking what we have and making it better. Great job CDS! Keep it up!

So which ranking do we believe? This one that has us at #20 or the one that came out a month ago and didn't have us in the top 100? With swings that big, I'm not sure any of these guys really know.

What publication had them unranked? BA is pretty strong.

Collegiate Baseball. See the thread in this forum called "Collegiate Baseball 2012 Recruting Rankings."

Perfect Game has the current class ranked 25th, but they don't count JUCO recruits, and I don't think they adjust for who actually shows up on campus (which makes Florida, for example, look a lot better).

I'd trust BA and PG a lot more than whoever Collegiate Baseball is.

This is correct. BA and PG are the only two people to listen to for the most part in college baseball. No one is even close to Aaron Fitt or Kendall Rogers when it comes to college baseball coverage.

I was amazed that we weren't mentioned in the Collegiate Baseball rankings. That being said, these class rankings don't mean a whole lot. Its a shot in the dark based on word of mouth potential.

This is correct. BA and PG are the only two people to listen to for the most part in college baseball. No one is even close to Aaron Fitt or Kendall Rogers when it comes to college baseball coverage.

I was amazed that we weren't mentioned in the Collegiate Baseball rankings. That being said, these class rankings don't mean a whole lot. Its a shot in the dark based on word of mouth potential.

And written and in person evaluation. The people who write these things for BA and PG travel to all the top amateur tournaments and showcases.

Kendall Rogers at Perfect Game is my personal favorite.

Regardless, I think with the shape of the program that TR left it in, I would call this class the base from which Serrano will build our program up from. I've been to a couple of practices and scrimmages this fall and from what I have seen, we should be better this coming year. I don't think we'll contend for the SEC title but I think we have a good shot of finally making it back to Hoover.

And written and in person evaluation. The people who write these things for BA and PG travel to all the top amateur tournaments and showcases.

Yea, but lots of these kids are only seen once or twice. Players carry reputations into these things, and as long as they don't utterly disprove those reputations, its assumed have just had an off day. Also players really turn heads at those things with appearance. You can get a PG Grade 7 without even putting on your cleats. The recruiting rankings are usually a very good indication of future success, but they aren't set in stone. There are too many variables to predict the success of an 18 year old with very much precision.

The recruiting rankings are usually a very good indication of future success, but they aren't set in stone. There are too many variables to predict the success of an 18 year old with very much precision.

That's the nature of recruiting rankings for every sport. If that's your philosophy, then following recruiting isn't for you. Just wait and see how they do at the schools.

Yea, but lots of these kids are only seen once or twice. Players carry reputations into these things, and as long as they don't utterly disprove those reputations, its assumed have just had an off day. Also players really turn heads at those things with appearance. You can get a PG Grade 7 without even putting on your cleats

These guys also have big networks of scouts, college coaches, high school coaches, and travel ball coaches that they talk to when developing these rankings. It's not just a shot in the dark.

Whether UT is 20 or 25, they are definitely not outside the top 100 and are obviously quickly improving recruiting under Serrano I'd expect it to only get better once he gets some winning done with these recruits.

Just curious when was the last time Tennessee even had a #1 overall seed to blow? Hell when's the last time Tennessee was a national seed?

Were not the first #1 seed to lose our regional am we definitely won't be the last.

Y'all couldn't even beat us once in one of our worst years. When we sent 12 players to the major leagues.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back