Recruiting Forum: Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
You either get someone that has head coaching experience with success doing so, or you hold Dooley for another year and do it at the end of next season. We are getting into a hole with all the dang buyouts that this new coach has to be successful. We can't get a guy and hope he produces just to fire him in three more years with another buyout. Tennessee needs to stop looking for a diamond in the rough and go pay for one that is already found, polished, and shimmering.

So everyone wants Dooley fired but the only head coach that will satisfy people is Gruden (or Gary Patterson)? Just want to make sure I understand.

I don't want Dooley fired because I would like this team to win out, however, to answer your question. Gruden or Strong for me.

Our fanbase is setting itself up for failure with the Gruden talk. JMO. Just because you say something over and over and eventually convince yourself it's going to happen...does not mean it's going to happen.

Reactions: 8 people
So everyone wants Dooley fired but the only head coach that will satisfy people is Gruden (or Gary Patterson)? Just want to make sure I understand.

I think everyone agrees we need a proven head coach. Anything else is speculative and we just tried that with Dooley.

First off. Dooley has not done anything to retain his job. That has nothing to do with everyone else, thats on him.

Second off. Why would anyone feel good about Smart.

I think Smart is our next head coach.

images

I want Charlie Strong over Smart any day. It's not even close. IMO I want Gruden or Strong as my bext coach. Don't want anymore first timers. Spend the money right the first time and hire a real head coach.

Reactions: 3 people
Our fanbase is setting itself up for failure with the Gruden talk. JMO. Just because you say something over and over and eventually convince yourself it's going to happen...does not mean it's going to happen.

Haven't believed it since it all started. It's just a snowball effect. Someone throws it out there because he has ties to UT, then everyone convinces themselves it's a legitimate chance.

I think it's a huge long shot he goes from Super Bowl coach, to MNF making $4-5M working a few hours a week acting like a celebrity, to college football at a program that is down.

Crazier things have happened, I guess.

Reactions: 1 person
Sadly, anyone we hire will likely be a more successful head coach than Dooley. I commend him for taking the job when he did and correcting some of the issues.

BB and I on the same page again.....weird.

I want Charlie Strong over Smart any day. It's not even close. IMO I want Gruden or Strong as my bext coach. Don't want anymore first timers. Spend the money right the first time and hire a real head coach.

I don't want Dooley fired because I would like this team to win out, however, to answer your question. Gruden or Strong for me.

Haven't believed it since it all started. It's just a snowball effect. Someone throws it out there because he has ties to UT, then everyone convinces themselves it's a legitimate chance.

I think it's a huge long shot he goes from Super Bowl coach, to MNF making $4-5M working a few hours a week acting like a celebrity, to college football at a program that is down.

Crazier things have happened, I guess.

I would have agreed with you up until this morning. They will make a strong push for him, whether he accepts is a different story. I personally thought he wasn't even in the picture, but apparently that is not the case.

Patterson I just my first choice at who I want. Cause I refuse to believe the Gruden rumor if it happens great if not it's whatever I just want a proven HC. I'm thankful for the job that Dooley has done here and the improvements he's made to the roster and the off the field image at UT.

Sadly, anyone we hire will likely be a more successful head coach than Dooley. I commend him for taking the job when he did and correcting some of the issues.

...back when I still supported him, I said whether he succeeds or is eventually fired, he'll have done more good for this University than bad.

I still stand by those words, even if the guy can't beat anyone other than Vanderbilt.

I wouldn't mind that either Strong is number two or three on my list of possible replacements. Cutcliffe is in my top five as well cause if you can win a Duke ACC or not you can coach and should be given a chance at bigger program.

...back when I still supported him, I said whether he succeeds or is eventually fired, he'll have done more good for this University than bad.

I still stand by those words, even if the guy can't beat anyone other than Vanderbilt.
I agree. I said the same before the season started.

I wouldn't mind that either Strong is number two or three on my list of possible replacements. Cutcliffe is in my top five as well cause if you can win a Duke ACC or not you can coach and should be given a chance at bigger program.

Cutcliffe would have the offense and Bray producing at a very high level. The amount of offensive talent this team is wasting is crazy.

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back