2013 F Austin Nichols (Memphis Briarcrest)

Agree on that, but it's a little late to turn it on is my point. What I was saying is it was telling Memphis staff was still recruiting 3 bigs, Tennessee staff hasn't contacted any and is only pursuing Nichols...that was my point, that they must feel damn good about their chances or theyd atleast be looking at backup plans.

In fact, their back up plan they had in place, they informed him not to visit that they were pulling the offer...he has since committed to Minnesota.

Oh I understand what you're saying but it's not smart to put all your eggs in one basket. I dont' care how sure you are of signing a player, things can always change. Maybe they won't in this case but surely Martin has a backup plan.

And Nichols isn't a MSU fan, so why'd he go...

Uh-oh...closet Vols fans!!!

He knows people there, he's being recruited there and it was the closest decent game around........and his sister was there. Going to the football game is not very telling. I still say he's leaning to UT but I dont' put anything into going to the game.

Oh I understand what you're saying but it's not smart to put all your eggs in one basket. I dont' care how sure you are of signing a player, things can always change. Maybe they won't in this case but surely Martin has a backup plan.

He did it with hubbs and Nichols, hubbs worked out nicely. I agree typically it's not smart, however, maybe Austin has informed CCM of his intentions....

If something happens where Nichols doesn't come here, ccm doesn't have a sure fire back up and will likely monitor some guys and sign someone in spring.

He knows people there, he's being recruited there and it was the closest decent game around........and his sister was there. Going to the football game is not very telling. I still say he's leaning to UT but I dont' put anything into going to the game.

I don't put much into it, just busting people's chops...and his sister was there because he was there.

He could've easily attended the Vanderbilt game, they're recruiting him...

He did it with hubbs and Nichols, hubbs worked out nicely. I agree typically it's not smart, however, maybe Austin has informed CCM of his intentions....

If something happens where Nichols doesn't come here, ccm doesn't have a sure fire back up and will likely monitor some guys and sign someone in spring.

Yeah, maybe, but I'm talking anything......injury, etc. Good to have a B/U plan and I'm certain that Martin has something in mind. There's always transfers and JUCO players. I feel certian that's what Memphis will look at if Williams and Nichols fall through.

I don't put much into it, just busting people's chops...and his sister was there because he was there.

He could've easily attended the Vanderbilt game, they're recruiting him...

I knew you were. Vanderbilt.......this year that's just a step up from Memphis football.. :ermm:

Memphis staff has been actively recruiting bigs Coleby, and Williams in addition to Nichols. Their staff has been really pursuing them and pushing hard for those 2 other guys...

Meanwhile...Tennessee staff has been pursuing ZERO other bigs. Staff hasn't do much as even really watched or scouting any other bigs lately...

Tells me staff for Tennessee still feels real good about Nichols...if I heard they were here or there watching this big, or contacting that post...I'd wonder a bit about their position with Nichols...but the fact the staff hasn't waivered at all says a lot IMO.

Tells me two things:

1) As you have stated in the recent past, "you never stop recruiting". UM will recruit 'til the whistle tips off the 2013 season. As you well know, AN's recruitment is not affected by D. Williams; again, per BTO, "we'll take both".

2) UT has 12 months to correct its mistake should they lose AN. And if Stokes bolts for the NBA, you will need a BIG or two. And you lose one of the reasons you feel AN favors UT - no Stokes buddy/buddy.

Hey I went to the MM at Memphis and to the Vols game at Starkville....guess where I'm going to play my college ball????? Oh by the way that pepper spray stuff burns like red hots...man we were just busting up some old blue haired dudes in the upper deck at FEDEX Forum...ya know...kicking and having a little fun....and here comes MPD...yeah...spraying that can of stuff all up in my face and....oh...sorry...thought I was still giving my statement"....

Were you having a stroke when you typed this?

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, maybe, but I'm talking anything......injury, etc. Good to have a B/U plan and I'm certain that Martin has something in mind. There's always transfers and JUCO players. I feel certian that's what Memphis will look at if Williams and Nichols fall through.

He doesn't have anyone on the back burner is what I meant...sure if he misses hell start recruiting someone hard, but as of now he's not pursuing someone.

That was my original point, he cut ties with his backup plan, that makes me feel that the staff has either been told something by Nichols, or just feels really confident to cities with your backup plan who was a solid player.

Tells me two things:

1) As you have stated in the recent past, "you never stop recruiting". UM will recruit 'til the whistle tips off the 2013 season. As you well know, AN's recruitment is not affected by D. Williams; again, per BTO, "we'll take both".

2) UT has 12 months to correct its mistake should they lose AN. And if Stokes bolts for the NBA, you will need a BIG or two. And you lose one of the reasons you feel AN favors UT - no Stokes buddy/buddy.

I'm pretty sure well know where Austin is headed long before we know if stokes is going pro.

Rob Lewis on VQ reiterated again today that he likes where Tennessee stands w/ Nichols going into this weekends visit.

Take this with a grain of salt....I stress "grain of salt"....I've heard from someone who has a decent feel for things that Nichols could be making a decision Thursday.

Once again, not promising it's true...just passing something along to volnation that i have heard.

so that means... Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday-BOOMSday.

Reactions: 1 person
Some stuff from some other people...

"I guess the irony is that the Memphis fans have been claiming for some time that it was the dad that was pushing Austin to UT while Austin preferred Memphis...lol

I guess Easterwood mentioned on Gary Parrish's show the other day that the family was somewhat alarmed with how Memphis fans had bashed the kid on message boards for the past 3 months since they thought Memphis was out of the mix, but did a 180 when it was said that he would attend Memphis Madness."

"My bet is that Coach Martin will tell Nichols and his father about how Glenn Robinson, Jajuan Johnson, and Kyle Weems were used in college. That should alleviate any concerns about how a player with both post and perimeter skills can function is his preferred style of play."

If Austin makes it through the weekend without committing, I may change my outlook on Memphis' chances.

This is a big weekend in Austin's recruitment.

Last edited:
In town now according to Hubbs. He said they brought a lot of the family in a big van or something!:rock: Bad news is he said dad is a little concerned about how he would fit into Tn style of play.

If Austin makes it through the weekend without committing, I may change my outlook on Memphis' chances.

This is a big weekend in Austin's recruitment.

I don't expect him to make an announcement this weekend...he's still scheduled to visit auburn which I think he wants to uphold for his AAU coaches...and he is going to announce on ESPNU in three weeks his dad said.

VN Store

Back