Recruiting Forum: Football Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Palardy kicking this week, McNeil could start.

As for our Oct 20 game, a strong argument could be made that it is the least impressive of the three matchups.

At Money, Brewer would be much closer to the ball so his speed wouldn't be exposed so much. He'd be asked to cover tight ends and running backs as opposed to receivers.

Maybe speed is not the only thing with coverage but I would not think that one could necessarily expect RBs to have less speed than the WR. The two Freshmen at GA apparently have world class speed and R. Neal is the fastest player on our team. Seems like Vols have been vulnerable to the short to medium passess across the middle. Just putting this out ther.

JMO, but I think he's perfect for the Money position. That is a dimeback/hybrid S/LB who lines up at LB in the nickel. Sapp and Brewer have both played Money for us this season.

At Money, Brewer would be much closer to the ball so his speed wouldn't be exposed so much. He'd be asked to cover tight ends and running backs as opposed to receivers.

Against Akron, Brewer started at FS and Sapp was at LB/Money. When Brewer started getting exposed, they moved Waggner back to FS and Brewer to LB/Money.

Same thing against UGA, except this time it was McNeil replacing Brewer at FS and Brewer replacing Lathers at LB/Money.

I'd expect McNeil to get the start at FS, but for Brewer to come in at LB/Money in the nickel against MSU.

Flashbacks of "Swingers" in your post...:)

I've honestly never heard of the "Money" position, interesting--really doesn't sound much different than the Star though--is it just another name for it?

SN: I miss the days when all I need to know was strong-side, weak-side, inside.

Now it's Jack, Will, Mike, Sam, Star, Money....sheesh. Sounds like a bad glam-rock band. :)

Flashbacks of "Swingers" in your post...:)

I've honestly never heard of the "Money" position, interesting--really doesn't sound much different than the Star though--is it just another name for it?

SN: I miss the days when all I need to know was strong-side, weak-side, inside.

Now it's Jack, Will, Mike, Sam, Star, Money....sheesh. Sounds like a bad glam-rock band. :)

It's just Saban's terminology for the dimeback. The Money position is the 6th DB. Star is the nickelback, the 5th DB. That is where Eric Gordon plays.

The Money will come in for the Will linebacker (Lathers) when we go to the nickel. He lines up in the same spot of the WLB. Sapp and Brewer have both played this position. The Money usually should be a safety/linebacker type player who could cover a TE, but is big enough to help in the run game.

Here is a video of Saban talking about it. Nick Saban on Bill Belichick’s Hybrid/Subpackage Defenders: “Star” and “Money” | Smart Football

LSU-A&M and Florida-South Carolina are the other games we are competing with for the 3 time slots. As long as we win vs MSU, I can't see it being a noon game.

Hopefully it will be LSU-A&M at noon, UF-USCe at 3:30, and UT-Bama at 7-7:45 on ESPN.

LSU and aTm could both lose this weekend. If that happens, we might get the night slot regardless of the outcome with Miss St. However, I do think a Win Saturday guarantees us a Primetime slot.

Random thought: Florida has the best resume in the country and should be ranked #1.

absolutely, and it isn't even close.

I wish rankings were based on resume rather than preseason expectations.

Also, the BCS computers have UF ranked #1, which bumps them up to #5 in the BCS rankings (if they were released this week)

Random thought: Florida has the best resume in the country and should be ranked #1.

bowling green is ooc win - 1 team they have played is currently ranked - not sure why that resume is so much better than the rest - just be patient - the good thing about SEC teams is you don't have to argue - you will be found out - they are in hte middle of their tough stretch with 2 of next 3 being against ranked teams - either they will show they are who you think them to be or they will be exposed - but 1 win against a ranked team at home by 1 score is not enough to seal the deal

Tennessee hasn't beaten a Top 20 ranked team since October 27, 2007. SMH.

I think they flashed a stat in the USC/GA game that Richt was something like 1-9 against top 25 teams in the last 4 years. Someone correct me on the numbers, but it was a very bad statistic.

I think they flashed a stat in the USC/GA game that Richt was something like 1-9 against top 25 teams in the last 4 years. Someone correct me on the numbers, but it was a very bad statistic.

2 and 15 against teams that finished the season in the top 25. It really is an awful stat.

I remember them flashing the stat, idk remember exactly what it was, but it was awful.

Perhaps BB would like to comment on this but, wouldn't Brewer be better suited at the STAR position?

He just seems like he'd be better suited at a rover position than dropping back into coverage; where its obvious he struggles....and where's the speed we heard about over the summer??

He looks more like a hybrid LB/S to me. I dunno, JMO.

BB, thoughts?

Obviously not BB but I'd personally love to see Brewer in an Ogletree type role at LB. I don't think that he has the skills necessary to play the STAR or MONEY position because smaller players in the slot would be a nightmare for him to cover in space. Playing him similar to how Georgia plays Ogletree would play to his strengths (downhill physical player at the point of attack that's capable of going sideline to sideline to run down players) while minimizing his weaknesses.

Reactions: 1 person
Obviously not BB but I'd personally love to see Brewer in an Ogletree type role at LB. I don't think that he has the skills necessary to play the STAR or MONEY position because smaller players in the slot would be a nightmare for him to cover in space. Playing him similar to how Georgia plays Ogletree would play to his strengths (downhill physical player at the point of attack that's capable of going sideline to sideline to run down players) while minimizing his weaknesses.

This by far....He needs to play LB period. He's just not good in coverage. At least he can keep up with TEs. With fast guys he has no chance. Wonder where that super fast 40 time is because he looks about as slow as PW23.

This by far....He needs to play LB period. He's just not good in coverage. At least he can keep up with TEs. With fast guys he has no chance. Wonder where that super fast 40 time is because he looks about as slow as PW23.

Is PW23 really that slow or does he just run smooth? Maybe I'm just in denial about it lol

i think if we are honest we would say Brewer was an emergency guy brought in a couple years ago when the situation on defense (and everywhere else) was so dire that any warm body with a hint of athleticism was a reasonable pickup

at this point many on the board have penciled his name as a S starter as if that was enough to make one a capable player - truth is he has shown clearly the inability to play at this level so his only real position if our D is going to be any good is scout team

Is PW23 really that slow or does he just run smooth? Maybe I'm just in denial about it lol

Remember the fumble return versus Memphis 2 years ago? The pick versus NC State also shows you how slow he is. He fell from trying to run hard. A CB should never fall on a cut back by himself. That's easy compared to covering a fast shifty WR. Waggner knew the NC State TE was closing in on him. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back