Collegiate Baseball 2012 Recruting Rankings

BigOrange51

College Baseball Poll

Not my favorite baseball news source, but we definitely have some catching up to do. I'm kind of surprised we aren't even mentioned. It really hurt to lose Giacalone.

Missouri is the only other SEC school not in the top 40. We are the only team not mentioned. Thus, they have us dead last in the SEC for this class. That scares me a little.

Reactions: 1 person
Sad state of affairs for the Vols and more evidence that Vandy and their need based money is playing under a clearly unfair set of rules. Until someone on the Hill has the guts to question Vandy directly to the NCAA about their misuse of need base money, Tennessee baseball will be irrelevant.

Sad state of affairs for the Vols and more evidence that Vandy and their need based money is playing under a clearly unfair set of rules. Until someone on the Hill has the guts to question Vandy directly to the NCAA about their misuse of need base money, Tennessee baseball will be irrelevant.

So, how do you explain the other 99 teams listed as having better recruiting classes than ours? Is everyone better than us cheating?

So, how do you explain the other 99 teams listed as having better recruiting classes than ours? Is everyone better than us cheating?

Not at all but Vandy and their unlimited scholarships have eliminated Tennessee's ability to get talented in state kids at a cheaper scholarship price or even at all. Make no mistake it's a clear unfair advantage and the biggest victim is the big orange and yes irrelevance is a word to describe the program ATM.

I have not paid tons of attention to baseball but I thought the new coach was supposed to bring UT baseball to the top? I know he just started, but I guess I just assumed he would be bringing in big recruits.

Not at all but Vandy and their unlimited scholarships have eliminated Tennessee's ability to get talented in state kids at a cheaper scholarship price or even at all. Make no mistake it's a clear unfair advantage and the biggest victim is the big orange and yes irrelevance is a word to describe the program ATM.

Vandy has only one freshman from Tennessee this year. Need a new theory.

Reactions: 2 people
Vandy has only one freshman from Tennessee this year. Need a new theory.

The fact that they have spent virtually zero of their 11.7 on any of the other in state kids on their entire roster allows them to offer much higher percentages on the kids they do target out of state. Check their perfect APR score of 1000 and you will see that All the instate kids they signed in years past and have transferred out were on zero scholarship dollars(thus no apr penalty). Curt Powell ring a bell?

Last edited:
That list is bull****! This game has always been decided within the white lines, this year will be no different! List's have only one good use, KINDLING! Keep the FAITH!

The fact that they have spent virtually zero of their 11.7 on any of the other in state kids on their entire roster allows them to offer much higher percentages on the kids they do target out of state. Check their perfect APR score of 1000 and you will see that All the instate kids they signed in years past and have transferred out were on zero scholarship dollars(thus no apr penalty). Curt Powell ring a bell?

Vanderbilt's APR for the year Powell enrolled was 952. That means some scholarship players either did not remain eligible or did not remain at a four-year school or both. Of course, the APR is a rolling average, so there's no way to know how any one athlete affected it.

For my part, I question how you could be so certain about the aid packages for particular athletes. That's not publicly available information.

Vanderbilt's APR for the year Powell enrolled was 952. That means some scholarship players either did not remain eligible or did not remain at a four-year school or both. Of course, the APR is a rolling average, so there's no way to know how any one athlete affected it.

For my part, I question how you could be so certain about the aid packages for particular athletes. That's not publicly available information.

Not sure where you see that score but Vandy's apr for Powells class was a perfect 1000 score which means no scholarship player left or was ineligible in that entire 4 year time period. I would link that info but I don't know how to post a link but just go to NCAA.org.

As far as how I know I have some, I have a few close friends that are high school coaches of a few kids recruited by both Vandy and Tennessee. When need based money is used its over. In the 2013 class the Vols got destroyed by Vandy for a number of in state kids and need based money was used reportedly.

Not sure where you see that score but Vandy's apr for Powells class was a perfect 1000 score which means no scholarship player left or was ineligible in that entire 4 year time period. I would link that info but I don't know how to post a link but just go to NCAA.org.

As far as how I know I have some, I have a few close friends that are high school coaches of a few kids recruited by both Vandy and Tennessee. When need based money is used its over. In the 2013 class the Vols got destroyed by Vandy for a number of in state kids and need based money was used reportedly.

Then go out and provide the need based money for the recruits out of your pocket. You're pretty much the only one that is crying about it. Win, and things will take care of themselves.

Not to defend the staff, but I wonder what recruiting rankings re after the draft and signing deadline.

Rankins in fall mean nothing.

Thi is what tripped up Rod. Lot's of great signees that ended up going pro

Not to defend the staff, but I wonder what recruiting rankings re after the draft and signing deadline.

Rankins in fall mean nothing.

Thi is what tripped up Rod. Lot's of great signees that ended up going pro

These rankings are for the kids on campus right now. Draft and signing deadline have passed. Perfect Game should have their ranking done in the next week or so. Interested to see the differences.

Also, every major school deals with people signing. Its the nature of recruiting. For every Tyler Beede or Karsten Whitson, there are 50 guys who sign at that talent level.

Then go out and provide the need based money for the recruits out of your pocket. You're pretty much the only one that is crying about it. Win, and things will take care of themselves.

You're wrong. Its a big deal what Vandy is able to do for these kids to get them on campus. Baseball has too few scholarships to really deal with this on the field. Obviously Vandy is not why we are at the bottom of the SEC in recruiting, but their advantages with need based money are why they have topped the recruiting rankings two years in a row.

You're wrong. Its a big deal what Vandy is able to do for these kids to get them on campus. Baseball has too few scholarships to really deal with this on the field. Obviously Vandy is not why we are at the bottom of the SEC in recruiting, but their advantages with need based money are why they have topped the recruiting rankings two years in a row.

Again, if you don't like it, you provide the players the money or turn Vandy in to the NCAA. I'm not saying I like it, but I'm not crying about it and being all "woe is me" like Bruin.

Again, if you don't like it, you provide the players the money or turn Vandy in to the NCAA. I'm not saying I like it, but I'm not crying about it and being all "woe is me" like Bruin.

State schools can't award need based money even if it's done on the up and up which isn't the case with Vandy.

Tennessee hasn't beat Vandy for a recruit in many years and yes some of that can be attributed to the success of the programs but money SHOULD have pushed at least one talented in state kid to Tennessee. Think about it a 60per scholarship which is a huge offer would leave 20k per year at Vandy if there was no need based money. Compare that to less than 3k left at Tennessee. You can't tell me one talented kid over the past 5 years wouldn't have been a vol over Vandy under those circumstances!

. Obviously Vandy is not why we are at the bottom of the SEC in recruiting, but their advantages with need based money are why they have topped the recruiting rankings two years in a row.

Without a doubt the need based money allows them ever year to be at the top just as you say. Someone close to their prgram told me Price,Alvarez, and the closer that went 6th overall on that team were all three on full rides and neither on any basebAll money. Corbin isn't a great recruiter just great underachiever with his schorship limits.

Without a doubt the need based money allows them ever year to be at the top just as you say. Someone close to their prgram told me Price,Alvarez, and the closer that went 6th overall on that team were all three on full rides and neither on any basebAll money. Corbin isn't a great recruiter just great underachiever with his schorship limits.

I know that Price and Alvarez were on full, need-based rides. Not sure about Weathers. I believe I've said those two before on this forum. Maybe that's where you heard it.

That's not fair to say Corbin isn't a great recruiter. Tim is one of the sharpest, friendliest, and most energetic people I have ever met. He is without a doubt a great recruiter. Match that with program success and their ability to give so much need based money and he's basically fishing with dynamite.

State schools can't award need based money even if it's done on the up and up which isn't the case with Vandy.

Tennessee hasn't beat Vandy for a recruit in many years and yes some of that can be attributed to the success of the programs but money SHOULD have pushed at least one talented in state kid to Tennessee. Think about it a 60per scholarship which is a huge offer would leave 20k per year at Vandy if there was no need based money. Compare that to less than 3k left at Tennessee. You can't tell me one talented kid over the past 5 years wouldn't have been a vol over Vandy under those circumstances!

If I had the opportunity to get 60% from athletics, plus any other scholarship from academics (which you can't prove these players are not getting) and get the Vandy education, I would jump at the opportunity. You cannot prove that they are not intelligent students with academic scholarships along with athletic scholarships.

I know that Price and Alvarez were on full, need-based rides. Not sure about Weathers. I believe I've said those two before on this forum. Maybe that's where you heard it.

That's not fair to say Corbin isn't a great recruiter. Tim is one of the sharpest, friendliest, and most energetic people I have ever met. He is without a doubt a great recruiter. Match that with program success and their ability to give so much need based money and he's basically fishing with dynamite.
I agree on Corbin's characteristics but having
More money allows you to target the prices of the world and get them because of money.

Sorry he has vastly underachieve when looking at results.

Tennessee hasn't beat Vandy for a recruit in many years and yes some of that can be attributed to the success of the programs but money SHOULD have pushed at least one talented in state kid to Tennessee.

Isn't this a little overgeneralized? Vandy didn't want Forsythe, Hawn, Gant, Liles, Polk, Ramsey, Bennett, Simcox, etc.? None of them?

Isn't this a little overgeneralized? Vandy didn't want Forsythe, Hawn, Gant, Liles, Polk, Ramsey, Bennett, Simcox, etc.? None of them?

The specifics of all those kids recruitment I don't know but I don't recall Vandy recruiting any them hard. I will say this my impression is the amount of need based money that Corbin has at his disposal has increased dramatically in the past few years so some of those older names might not fall under this umbrella. I can say with little doubt that none of DS instate recruits were wanted by Vandy including Simcox.

Last edited:
Bruin, you are wrong about Simcox. He was offered by Vandy......and a very good offer at that. AJ was going to South Carolina (they made a very good offer too) until Serrano came back to UT and made him a priority.

Simcox is a big time recruit and could have gone about anywhere he wanted to go.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back