Jon Gruden thread (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the hell is the obsession with Gruden anyways? I guarantee if he had married a Gator cheerleader his name would never come up.

Reactions: 1 person
So, Corona Extra presented Gruden with the script for the commercial, and Gruden himself said "Wait, I know this doesn't include Knoxville in it, but I'm going to add it because I want to send a secret message to all Tennessee fans that I think their school is special and I might want to coach there if the opportunity arises. Ya'll ok with that, Corona Extra?"

LOL

I see what you did there, but I do believe the Knoxville bit has to do with input from Gruden. I don't think it's because he wants to come coach here, I just think he likes Knoxville.

I was walking my golf bag across the street into my uncle's driveway after playing a Florida Open qualifier at Avila Country Club in Tampa... Jon Gruden was jogging by, and after spotting my Titleist Tennessee hat and Smokey headcover -- gave me a pretty firm "GO VOLS!"

True story.

Reactions: 2 people
Also, I'd like to add... I've played there with my uncle a few times, and once we played with Shelton Quarles (who's also a member there) -- who played LB for Gruden on their Super Bowl winning team.

The topic of Tennessee football inevitably came up, as I'm pretty decked out in T gear most times (Quarles played for Vandy)... He made mention that Gruden is very fond of Tennessee, wife was a cheerleader, etc...

I had to kinda chuckle, after all the talk over the years... I didn't ask him about CJG's land ownership in TN, however.

Why, exactly, do many people on here pine for Gruden? Is it just because you actually know his name and that he was affiliated with the UT program?

He's never been a head coach in college. He was a grad assistant here, but likely never had to shoulder a great burden on the recruiting trail. People underestimate how much time and manpower it takes to really be an excellent recruiter, and he's never dealt with it on this level. What makes you think he has the ability to go into Alabama or Georgia to snatch elite players from Saban or Richt?

I'm not even convinced he's that good of a coach. He won the Super Bowl in his first year with Tampa Bay with Dungy's talent. Aside from that, he had a good year in Oakland that ended in the AFC championship game. The rest of his years were either mediocre (which isn't good enough) or flamed out early in the playoffs.

Seriously. Why is he the answer? Honest question. I don't have anything against him, but I see nothing that would automatically put him at the top of any wish list.

This^

Reactions: 2 people
yea he's just beat the Cowgirls.. so he's lookin at his options as we speak.....Tennessee seems such a good fit for a west coast guy.

I said pipe dream, but he'd be best for us. Much better than a guy with no real college experience.

Jon Gruden's brother Jay may be a more realistic option-I think he's the offensive coordinator for Cincinnati Bengals.

Jon Gruden's brother Jay may be a more realistic option-I think he's the offensive coordinator for Cincinnati Bengals.

when the NFL-1st college job track record is so abysmal, why would anyone in their right mind recommend a guy like either Gruden?

when the NFL-1st college job track record is so abysmal, why would anyone in their right mind recommend a guy like either Gruden?

What was Sabans record in the Pros!! About to get run off in Miami.
Give me a break. Dont know if he could do it or not.
I DO know, the program gets INSTANT bump and the recruiting go through the roof.
If he put the right staff together.............could be any worse.

I DO know, the program gets INSTANT bump and the recruiting go through the roof.

The second half of a game would be different, i can guarantee that. Since a teams attitude reflects the HC's, then he would be alot better than Dooley.

Saban was not just a proven commodity in college, he had won a national damn title. Sorry to be so blunt but what a dumb post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back