Jon Gruden thread (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see our DBs getting beat last night. I did see them miss assignments when FLA went in motion, like the last TD for example. They also seem to lack the speed to stop the edge runs and cut off the angles.

When you give up huge plays, your DBs are largely responsible--especially your safeties, last line of defense. Need to be better, tougher.

RE Gruden: wouldn't he coach in the NFL again before taking a college job? He's not going to become our coach--but I sure as hell would ask him!

So we hire him and we go to Fla and loss next year what happens then. How long do you guys give him. He would start with more talent than Dooley so he should win the NC first year right? We should go undefeated as long as he is here right? Everyone says that these kids don't remember when UT was good but think they will remember the coach that won a super bowl when they were 7 to 9 years old. Yep that's it let's pack up the brinks truck .

Reactions: 1 person
So we hire him and we go to Fla and loss next year what happens then. How long do you guys give him. He would start with more talent than Dooley so he should win the NC first year right? We should go undefeated as long as he is here right? Everyone says that these kids don't remember when UT was good but think they will remember the coach that won a super bowl when they were 7 to 9 years old. Yep that's it let's pack up the brinks truck .

Straw man alert

So we want a guy who wins with the previous coach's players, then fizzles out. Excellent.

What was his win percentage in the years following his Superbowl win again?

Straw man alert

I just don't understand the love for him. He is just over .500 as a coach and if he was so great why did Tampa fire him? He hasn't recruited in years so how can someone say we would have better players lining up to play at UT? What just because he pulls out a ring all the 5* players will sign on the spot?

Green Bay (Assistant)
Dallas (Assstant)
Philly (Assistant)
Knoxville (Graduate Assistant)
Oakland (Head coach)
Chicago (Assistant)

He did 10 total videos. Chicago , Oakland , Pittsburgh , Tampa , New Orleans , New York , Dallas , Green Bay , Philly and Knoxville. 4 places he never coached at.

being a bucs fan I saw what gruden did first hand driving my bucs into the ground after what dungy had built up....no thanks

I got to speak to Haslam for like 5 minutes about a year after Dooley was hired. I asked him if he knew how serious we were about landing Gruden. He looked at me like I was an idiot for a sec, then realized he was looking at me like I was an idiot, then laughed a friendly chuckle. He said to his knowledge there was never any serious Gruden consideration and any talk was nothing more than speculation by the fans and smoke stirring media. And if its worth anything, both Hyams and Dave Hooker told me pretty much the same thing.

Yeah, let's go get a BSU guy.

Wilcox really tore it up during his 2 years here...oh wait.

You know we got out coached by their former OC last night, don't you? IMO Boise has some of the best coaches because they do so much with so little talent. Just saying'...

Re Gruden, not to mention the NFL to 1st college coaching gig model's success record is so atrocious, I mean so bad it's hard to believe, that advocating for people like cowher and gruden is absurd. Especially when you consider there are proven successes like Johnso, Patterson, Peterson, etc who are attainable

That settles it. Dungy it is, lol.

He was responsible for the success of that offense. I also think we should add Jim Caldwell to the list. He took the Colts to the Super Bowl without saying a word on the sideline the entire season. But we should give Gannon all the credit for the success that Gruden had in Oakland. And Tampa has won so much , Gruden deserves no respect for anything.

Last edited:
Gruden is enjoying his easy life and so is his wife.

He's making BIG money and not having to work very hard for it.

He has more time for family but still gewts his football fix with his job.

He's NOT going anywhere as long as he can keep his easy job.

He would go back to the NFL long before he'd think about college football where he can hire or draft his players instead of have to recruit and beg 17 yr old kids to come play for him.

CDD isn't going anywhere anyway so this new coach speculation is silly.

VFL...GBO!!!

Gruden is enjoying his easy life and so is his wife.

He's making BIG money and not having to work very hard for it.

He has more time for family but still gewts his football fix with his job.

He's NOT going anywhere as long as he can keep his easy job.

He would go back to the NFL long before he'd think about college football where he can hire or draft his players instead of have to recruit and beg 17 yr old kids to come play for him.

CDD isn't going anywhere anyway so this new coach speculation is silly.

VFL...GBO!!!

THE Volnation should start boycotting Pilot STores. If Jimmy Haslam has over 1 Billion to waste on the Browns, he can surely throw a few Million to HIS University. You want instant cred, take a blank check to Gruden, tell him to fill out for "whatever" amount for a 4-5 year contract. And go on with life.
To be honest, I dont know if it works. I did think the 32M Saban contract was insane, looks kinda smart in hind sight.
If you want to return to tip 10 consistant status, get the recruits needed to be there.............this is the quickest way.

Haslam hates us

THE Volnation should start boycotting Pilot STores. If Jimmy Haslam has over 1 Billion to waste on the Browns, he can surely throw a few Million to HIS University. You want instant cred, take a blank check to Gruden, tell him to fill out for "whatever" amount for a 4-5 year contract. And go on with life.
To be honest, I dont know if it works. I did think the 32M Saban contract was insane, looks kinda smart in hind sight.
If you want to return to tip 10 consistant status, get the recruits needed to be there.............this is the quickest way.

hay ivtec jrod, you work close with cheez-it so answer me this. How in the Heck do they get that big cheesy taste in that little cracker, i mean really? Thank you in advance.

I work for Kellogg's who makes Cheez-It. Cheez-It is a major sponsor for College Game Day. We brought Herbstreit to my office in Bentonville, AR today where he did a Q&A for an hour, then signed autographs, and allowed our employees and their families take photos with him. After that his handlers rushed him over to Bentonville High School where he was the MC for the 7 on 7 tourney over there.

The people I work with are predominantly Arkansas, Oklahoma, or Missouri fans. He gave a few of the Kansas fans a hard time. I'm the lone Louisville fan in the office, so I could only ask one question during the Q&A. My question was, "In the BCS Era the Big East has outperformed the ACC by a wide margin in BCS Bowl games. Why, then, does the media give the ACC such a free pass while constantly bashing the Big East?"

Before he answered he said "Nobody is recording this session, right? No cell phones or iPhones or anything like that?" Everybody kind of laughed, but that led me to believe that anything he said that could possibly be construed as negative towards the ACC would get him in hot water. Anyway, he said that if everybody saw what he sees week in and week out it would be so obvious that the Big East isn't a BCS caliber conference. He said if the conference was so good why would Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia, Miami, BC, and Virginia Tech all leave. He flat out said, (and I quote) "The Big East is a joke." His point is that it is a basketball conference and controlled by the basketball schools and that it's a sinking ship. He asked me who my team was and I responded "Louisville." He said that Jurich was the best AD in the country and that Louisville is a team on the teetering on the precipice right now and they need to get out of the Big East fast...really fast.

There were questions about the Petrino ordeal at Arkansas. He said that John L. was the perfect hire. His personality and antics will keep the media's interest and keep them from rehashing that embarrassing Petrino saga over and over and over again. He said Petrino will turn up somewhere because he's a great coach. He didn't know anything more than that.

In response to the question, "Who will be the next coach at Arkansas?" he responded that he was with John Gruden at a Kenny Chesney concert a few weeks ago. From that conversation he got the distinct impression Gruden was itching to get back into coaching, and it will most likely be at the college level. He said he didn't think Arkansas would be attractive enough for him, but he mentioned that the Tennessee job, should it come open, would be attractive to Gruden. 15 minutes later when asked about coaches on the hot seat he mentioned that the Tennessee coach was most at risk this year. Interesting...

Did the article come from The National Enquirer ???Come on

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back