Sabanization

I think people were a little shocked that 'Bama was so good in Saban's second year. I think most experts agreed that year 3 was going to be 'Bama's year and that year 2 was still supposed to be a rebuilding year. What it told me was just how much talent Saban inherited when he came to Alabama. I think too many Tennessee fans looked at that kind of turn around and thought we should have done the same thing. However too many don't really understand that ours and Alabama's situations were entirely different.

Reactions: 2 people
Uh... Tennessee hasn't paid the price for success up front and it isn't willing to do so, both figuratively and literally. Alabama did, which is why the Crimson Tide went to the Sugar Bowl in Saban's second year. I could see the point of this thread if we just hired a coach with a BCS title under his belt for a tidy sum, but not every coach has the ability to focus on the little things instead of the "end game" knowing that it will eventually pay off.

Sabanization works if you're, you know, Nick Saban. It doesn't work when you've only strung together one winning record as a head coach.

If u don't understand the difference between what Saban took over compared to the dumpster fire CDD took over, u haven't paid attention, you're slow, or u are just a troll..

I think people were a little shocked that 'Bama was so good in Saban's second year. I think most experts agreed that year 3 was going to be 'Bama's year and that year 2 was still supposed to be a rebuilding year. What it told me was just how much talent Saban inherited when he came to Alabama. I think too many Tennessee fans looked at that kind of turn around and thought we should have done the same thing. However too many don't really understand that ours and Alabama's situations were entirely different.

This.

There wasn't a worse situation in the SEC after kiffin left.

Uh... Tennessee hasn't paid the price for success up front and it isn't willing to do so, both figuratively and literally. Alabama did, which is why the Crimson Tide went to the Sugar Bowl in Saban's second year. I could see the point of this thread if we just hired a coach with a BCS title under his belt for a tidy sum, but not every coach has the ability to focus on the little things instead of the "end game" knowing that it will eventually pay off.

Sabanization works if you're, you know, Nick Saban. It doesn't work when you've only strung together one winning record as a head coach.

Which coach was that? Numerous coaches turned down the offer to come coach us. The timing of Kiffin leaving could not have been worse with it being so close to NSD. Unlike the fans, most coaches knew what the state of the Vols program was and stayed away. Dooley was chosen and he has been focusing on the little things that can lead to titles...we'll see if it pays off.

Which coach was that? Numerous coaches turned down the offer to come coach us. The timing of Kiffin leaving could not have been worse with it being so close to NSD. Unlike the fans, most coaches knew what the state of the Vols program was and stayed away. Dooley was chosen and he has been focusing on the little things that can lead to titles...we'll see if it pays off.

Ask yourself this, at this point who would you prefer to have as your coach, Dooley or Muschamp? I certainly know who I'd pick! Sometimes you have to be thankful for UNanswered prayers.

Reactions: 1 person
Ask yourself this, at this point who would you prefer to have as your coach, Dooley or Muschamp? I certainly know who I'd pick! Sometimes you have to be thankful for UNanswered prayers.

Agree 100%. Dooley's assembling quite a team and rebuilding our depth...he just needs to show that he can coach X's and O's...or has hired assistants that can.

If u don't understand the difference between what Saban took over compared to the dumpster fire CDD took over, u haven't paid attention, you're slow, or u are just a troll..

Don't you mean u're slow?

Saban inherited a team that had gone 6-6, 10-2 and 7-6 in the three seasons prior to his arrival (I'm not using the vacated record as that's not the point). He then went 7-6, followed by Sugar Bowl, National Championship, Top-Flight bowl and National Championship.

Dooley didn't inherit a superstar squad, but don't pretend that Tennessee was in that bad of a rut just because no one wanted to come coach here for the paltry sum Hamilton was throwing at them. Stop making excuses.

Don't you mean u're slow?Dooley didn't inherit a superstar squad, but don't pretend that Tennessee was in that bad of a rut just because no one wanted to come coach here for the paltry sum Hamilton was throwing at them. Stop making excuses.

Oh good God! Um, let's see when Dooley took over this team...

1.) We were starting 2 undersized walk ons on the offensive line!! That means we didn't have ANYONE who was on scholarship better than them. Think about that for a minute. TWO WALK ONS!

2.) We were starting an undersized, former walk on at middle line backer!

3.) Our defensive line averaged about 280lbs! Our best defensive lineman was DE transfer from SC who was playing undersized at DT.

4.) We were starting a scrub JUCO QB the first part of the season and then a true freshmen QB the second part of the seaon.

5.) We were playing with a roster that was well under the 85 man limit.

Come on man! Look I'm all for not making excuses but sometimes reality is just reality. Our cupboard was bare!

Yes, because that will make our OL and DL bigger, stronger, and faster as well as increase our total number of players on scholarships to the max. 85.

Saban inherited a team that had gone 6-6, 10-2 and 7-6 in the three seasons prior to his arrival (I'm not using the vacated record as that's not the point). He then went 7-6, followed by Sugar Bowl, National Championship, Top-Flight bowl and National Championship.

Dooley didn't inherit a superstar squad, but don't pretend that Tennessee was in that bad of a rut just because no one wanted to come coach here for the paltry sum Hamilton was throwing at them. Stop making excuses.

Lol... This proves u have no clue about the game.. Look at the roster CDD was left with.. Look at the o and d lines! U can't be competitive with that.. There's a reason we have played and started more frosh and sophs than anyone the last two years.. We had no upper class at all!

Get the ***** outta here with that nonsense. The only one pretending is you buddy. You say that Tennessee and Alabama weren't that far apart? Could not be further from the truth. Take a look at the facts in the link below. If you grade a team's overall talent by who they send to the League, then the Vols were $hit for the last 4 years...if not longer. You're more than welcome to believe what you want, but know that your BS will be called out.

Blue Chip Stories | MrSEC

Oh good God! Um, let's see when Dooley took over this team...

1.) We were starting 2 undersized walk ons on the offensive line!! That means we didn't have ANYONE who was on scholarship better than them. Think about that for a minute. TWO WALK ONS!

2.) We were starting an undersized, former walk on at middle line backer!

3.) Our defensive line averaged about 280lbs! Our best defensive lineman was DE transfer from SC who was playing undersized at DT.

4.) We were starting a scrub JUCO QB the first part of the season and then a true freshmen QB the second part of the seaon.

5.) We were playing with a roster that was well under the 85 man limit.

Come on man! Look I'm all for not making excuses but sometimes reality is just reality. Our cupboard was bare!

:clapping:

Saban inherited a team that had gone 6-6, 10-2 and 6-7 in the three seasons prior to his arrival (I'm not using the vacated record as that's not the point). He then went 7-6, followed by Sugar Bowl, National Championship, Top-Flight bowl and National Championship.

I can't believe I'm about to stick up for Tennessee, but you are way off. Mike Shula was a horrible gameday coach, but he had recruited very well. Saban took over a talented, but lazy, team in 2007. He had an Outland Trophy winner at left tackle, a Butkus winner at LB, two All-Americans in the secondary, and a solid stable of RBs. Now, Saban coached those guys into those honors, but they were already in Tuscaloosa when he got there.

Who has Dooley had on his squad that rivals Rolando McLain, Andre Smith, Javier Arenas, Glen Coffee, or Rashad Johnson?

You could look at Saban's 7-6 record in '07 and compare it to Dooley's 6-7 in '10, but you'd be missing the bigger picture. Bama didn't lose a single game by more than a touchdown in 2007. The difference between Bama's losses and Tennessee's were because of talent.

You're never going to hear me say that Dooley is anywhere near Saban's level. But it's unfair to point to coaching as the primary cause of UT's struggles over the past 2 seasons.

Reactions: 3 people
Okay then, blame it all on the roster. Lane Kiffin screwed us! He left us with nothing! There's no way we should have been competitive! Dooley is doing the best with what little he was given!

Except... everyone was predicting winning seasons the last two years. People must not have thought that Tennessee was that barren if the majority of posters believed Tennessee was going to be a winning team "Year 0" and at least "7 wins plus bowl win" last year. Now, with a roster that's not nearly as big of an upgrade as everyone thinks in year three, people are saying 8 wins at minimum. Yep... 8 wins in the Southeastern Conference just two years removed from a "bare cupboard" with back-to-back losing seasons.

So, when Tennessee falls short of 8 wins this year, what's the game plan? Stick to "Sabanization" and bank on the Vols learning the little things and magically becoming a behemoth next year? That seems silly. But, if you want to replace him, what happened to your passion about Tennessee being left with nothing and Dooley working to make this team great?

I'd just love to hear what you want done after this season when the "ragamuffin group of undersized and underskilled players" don't lead Tennessee back to the glory days! Sabanization for everyone!

I can't believe I'm about to stick up for Tennessee, but you are way off. Mike Shula was a horrible gameday coach, but he had recruited very well. Saban took over a talented, but lazy, team in 2007. He had an Outland Trophy winner at left tackle, a Butkus winner at LB, two All-Americans in the secondary, and a solid stable of RBs. Now, Saban coached those guys into those honors, but they were already in Tuscaloosa when he got there.

Who has Dooley had on his squad that rivals Rolando McLain, Andre Smith, Javier Arenas, Glen Coffee, or Rashad Johnson?

You could look at Saban's 7-6 record in '07 and compare it to Dooley's 6-7 in '10, but you'd be missing the bigger picture. Bama didn't lose a single game by more than a touchdown in 2007. The difference between Bama's losses and Tennessee's were because of talent.

You're never going to hear me say that Dooley is anywhere near Saban's level. But it's unfair to point to coaching as the primary cause of UT's struggles over the past 2 seasons.

Wow. You just made up for that comment yesterday about Sentimore not being in Bama's 2-Deep. Maybe I misjudged you.

Okay then, blame it all on the roster. Lane Kiffin screwed us! He left us with nothing! There's no way we should have been competitive! Dooley is doing the best with what little he was given!

Except... everyone was predicting winning seasons the last two years. People must not have thought that Tennessee was that barren if the majority of posters believed Tennessee was going to be a winning team "Year 0" and at least "7 wins plus bowl win" last year. Now, with a roster that's not nearly as big of an upgrade as everyone thinks in year three, people are saying 8 wins at minimum. Yep... 8 wins in the Southeastern Conference just two years removed from a "bare cupboard" with back-to-back losing seasons.

So, when Tennessee falls short of 8 wins this year, what's the game plan? Stick to "Sabanization" and bank on the Vols learning the little things and magically becoming a behemoth next year? That seems silly. But, if you want to replace him, what happened to your passion about Tennessee being left with nothing and Dooley working to make this team great?

I'd just love to hear what you want done after this season when the "ragamuffin group of undersized and underskilled players" don't lead Tennessee back to the glory days! Sabanization for everyone!

You realize that this team isn't undersized, underskilled, or inexperienced anymore right? The last couple of teams were at key upperclassman positions. There is a difference...not sure how you're missing this point but you clearly are.

You realize that this team isn't undersized, underskilled, or inexperienced anymore right? The last couple of teams were at key upperclassman positions. There is a difference...not sure how you're missing this point but you clearly are.

So we've engaged in Sabanization and are now about to see the fruits of being mired in mediocrity. Got it.

Granted, this didn't stop the collective fanbase from anticipating "good" seasons the last two years, being disappointed when they didn't come and then trying to explain away the lack of success, but yea. Totally got it.

Granted, this didn't stop the collective fanbase from anticipating "good" seasons the last two years, being disappointed when they didn't come and then trying to explain away the lack of success, but yea.

That's called "being a fan." Fans of historically successful teams tend to have high expectations, even in light of glaring issues.

Brilliant!!!!:focus:

That's called "being a fan." Fans of historically successful teams tend to have high expectations, even in light of glaring issues.

Those unable to temper their expectations don't really have a leg to stand on when discussing the course the program is taking. It's really easy to be optimistic, make excuses for why your optimism was misguided and then continue to express misguided optimism. Easy, yes, but absolutely stupid.

Those unable to temper their expectations don't really have a leg to stand on when discussing the course the program is taking. It's really easy to be optimistic, make excuses for why your optimism was misguided and then continue to express misguided optimism. Easy, yes, but absolutely stupid.

Did you forget to get the prescription for your anti-depression meds refilled? It's also really easy to be pessimistic, then make excuses why your pessimism was misguided and continue to express misguided pessimism. Instead of doing either, fans should take a look at the circumstances of the situation and come up with expectations grounded in reality. I can't help it if posters are overly optimistic and that bugs you, but you being overly pessimistic is the pot calling the kettle black.

i should have been banned years ago...doubt this is the one that does me in.

ESPN Loves Bama!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvyknw4VClE[/youtube]

No real Tn fan would say those words.:p Just messing with you by the way. Don't want anyone taking me too seriously.:)

Last edited:

VN Store

Back