SEC Media Days 2012

And of course spurrier was going to make some fuss about scheduling and being unfair today:

At least he didnt trot out that "only same division games should count" he's been telling the press all summer.

I'm not sure what to make from what he said in this part really:

How did he fuss? The dude seemed to think that the coaches got to make the schedules. Spurrier's response was hardly fussing.

Just watched Franklin. What a jerk. And all of the ESPN guys are gushing over him. "I am motivated," sez Kevin Carter. "He speaks the truth....James Franklin is very impressive." Other guy sez Vandy got Kimbrow because he's from Memphis and Vandy played in the Liberty Bowl in Memphis, while Tennessee did not. Good Lord.

Just watched Franklin. What a jerk. And all of the ESPN guys are gushing over him. "I am motivated," sez Kevin Carter. "He speaks the truth....James Franklin is very impressive." Other guy sez Vandy got Kimbrow because he's from Memphis and Vandy played in the Liberty Bowl in Memphis, while Tennessee did not. Good Lord.

I didn't see all of it but I what I did watch he didn't seem like a jerk. I thought he sounded like a football coach trying to get to get his program out of the perennial basement. He must had said something early on that I missed.

Shorter SEC Media Days: We've got hundreds of media folks with nothing to cover all summer, so let's manufacture some stories for them.

no sec love for the ut. Lol at bringing up the 3 best qbs and tyler bray not being one. Mizzou cocky imo and the espn screwballs pretty much writing ut as a loss at usce. We'll be an underdog but they act like we have no chance. I cant wait to light these suckers up!!!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Andre Ware looked like he'd been partying with Charlie Sheen.

His eyes were bloodshot and his nose was runny...I was longing for the days of standard-definition TV.

HOOVER, Ala.—If we learn nothing else from the smorgasbord of a circus that is SEC Media Days, we now fully understand what Missouri thinks of the SEC.

In a word, meh.

Gary Pinkel dispensed with the niceties when discussing his new conference mates. (AP Photo)
Coach Gary Pinkel was surly and short. Tackle Elvis Fisher and cornerback E.J. Gaines were chippy at times and spoke with an edge. And then there was wideout T.J. Moe.

“It’s not all 12 teams who are dominating everybody,” Moe said. ‘It’s one or two (teams). The rest are kind of … average.”

He was serious. I think.

That statement was soon followed by: “The girls are prettier, the air is fresher and the toilet paper is thicker.”

So everyone laughed at the new kids in town, the group of four from the Show-Me State who waltzed into the big ballroom at the Wynfrey Hotel and laid their cards on the table: It’s the SEC; yeah, so?

Remember, it was Missouri offensive coordinator David Yost who told Sporting News last spring that he’d be “disappointed” if Tigers quarterback James Franklin wasn’t the best in the SEC. Tuesday, almost on cue, Pinkel said “I’ll be disappointed if we’re intimidated.”

Later, at a side podium, Moe—unsolicited—took a shot at fellow newbie Texas A&M. Specifically, at wideout Ryan Swope, who has been named to numerous All-SEC teams this offseason.

“Apparently, Ryan Swope is God because he can come in and get first team All-SEC,” Moe said. “But that’s fine.”

And away we go.

Pinkel was clearly irritated when asked about the increase in competition. He offered up some odd anecdote about vacationing in Florida and folks asking him if Missouri could adjust—but did so only through clenched teeth.

He spoke about Franklin, his dual-threat quarterback who recently began throwing again after offseason shoulder surgery. He says Franklin will be ready to play in the season opener.

This, of course, means Franklin will be ready Week 2 in the SEC opener at Faurot Field against Georgia. You know, average Georgia.

Look, it’s not like Moe isn’t saying what many college coaches and players would like to say—and what many fans of rival conferences argue. Once you get past LSU and Alabama—and granted, that’s a big hurdle to get past—what’s left in the SEC?

It’s the argument against most every major conference. They’re all top-heavy, with the rest of the teams a mish-mash of who gets hot on specific fall Saturdays.

Only there’s one problem: the SEC may be deeper and stronger this season than it has been in more than a decade. Vanderbilt coach James Franklin was taking questions Tuesday about the SEC’s longtime tomato can becoming a legitimate factor in the conference race. That’s right, I said Vanderbilt.

The last time a Vandy coach had the undivided attention of the ballroom was two years ago, when interim coasch Robbie Caldwell was talking about his first job in high school as a turkey inseminator.

“I don’t need to tell you what that is,” Caldwell quipped.

The media throng roared its approval. Caldwell, you see, is a man of the South. He spoke with an syrupy, self-deprecating Southern drawl and had a—how can I say this?—unique cross-section of Americana in stitches.

There are longtime, dyed-in-the-wool media members here. There are men and women who wear team colors, who wear national championship shirts (seriously), who look forward to this July week from the moment spring practice ends.

And then T.J. Moe walks into the middle of it all, when many expect him to bow in reverence to all things Ess, Eee, See, and lays out this gem:

“It’s serious here,” Moe said. “I wouldn’t be surprised if everybody was strapped with a gun here.”

Again, he was kidding. I think.

Just like I think Pinkel was kidding, when he was asked about Nick Saban, his college teammate at Kent State.

“I want everyone to know,” Pinkel said, “he’s older than me.”

You want silence? I swear I heard the guy’s jaw drop next to me.

But maybe this is how Mizzou wanted to play it all along. Maybe the Tigers see the SEC East Division is in transition and if they’re going to make a move, why not in Year 1?

Why not make bold statements in the spring (see: Yost); why not make bold statements in the summer (Pinkel, Moe); why not get your entire program so juiced that Faurot Field really does sound like an SEC Saturday when East Division favorite Georgia comes to town?

“We proved ourselves in the Big 12,” Moe said. “We’re going to have to do the same thing here.”

The interview ended, and Moe walked off the stage to a standing ovation. It was like some surreal Vegas moment as Missouri went all in Tuesday.

It could be a defining moment.

Or it could be, meh.

SEC newbie Missouri raises stakes with tough talk at Media Days - NCAA Football - Sporting News

Interesting picks by the "experts" for Mizzou... beating UGA at home, and losing to FL and UT away.

Looks like Pinkel's MO - if I'm reading this correctly - for his team is "come in with a chip on our shoulders"

Then again, when I think of it, if I had a team where I spent all offseason with pieces on "they're not as cut out," "they're not tough enough," "they're in for a wide awakening," "they don't fit" I would probably go in with that kind of attitude (proving my team was more than the credit given) as well

...huh, he's right. Nick's a year older.

Last edited:
these "experts" suck. There is no way mizzou beats UGA. They basically threw the UT game out there as a toss up and not gonna happen. I would rather mizzou come to knoxville besides going to florida first, but they aren't staying with us.

Cant wait to see these guys pick states schedule. 90% sure they take them over UT.

these "experts" suck. There is no way mizzou beats UGA. They basically threw the UT game out there as a toss up and not gonna happen. I would rather mizzou come to knoxville besides going to florida first, but they aren't staying with us.

Cant wait to see these guys pick states schedule. 90% sure they take them over UT.
They picked UT over State

Reactions: 1 person
They picked UT over State

was about to bring this up.

The "experts" picked us to beat Mizzou and Miss St (albeit, by split decision), but those two games are huge as far as being fairly evenly matched, imo.

If those two wins happen, we get a W against the Gators and take care of business against NC State, its going to be a fun season.

Those four, plus Ga State, Akron, Troy, Kentucky, Vanderbilt..... hello 9 wins, we've missed you.

Beat one of USCjr, Georgia, Bama - and we have double digits and a January bowl game. Beat two of them, we'll probably be in Atlanta.

Its really not that far fetched....is it?:question:

Sorry, I was waiting for someone (media) to transcribe it to make sure I posted it correctly.

It might need someone to upload video to do it some justice though; there was really quite a bit in the emphasis/how he said it(/the excitement)

Mizzou beating UGA isn't that far fetched. UGA will be missing some players because of suspension, Crowell got booted and UGA seems to always lose one game at the beginning of the season that they shouldn't.

VN Store

Back