The Golf Thread

Yeah I went to it and liked it. Not a lot on information, though. How good are they, in your opinion? How well will they work for a weekend warrior like me?

If you're playing with an old set of clubs, just about any cavity backed game improvement iron will work wonders for you. The technology even on the low end clubs is light years ahead of where the high end clubs were just 5-10 years ago.

I don't know if they have made it south of ATL, but I have had a 100% success rate with Golfnow.com. I am playing for $22 and $16 dollars this weekend at $40 courses, and get a free round for every 10 rounds booked. You get credit for every tee time that you book, so if you book the foursome on your account, you get credit for four rounds booked.

The only down side to the cheap prices is that you usually have to play in the afternoon. In Lex that is not all bad, but in GA even some spring afternoons are just too brutal.

Except for in July and August, I don't feel heat when I'm on the golf course. :)

Down here you are forced to either get used to it or move.

Honestly, I would advise you not to buy that at all. I've never seen you swing a club, so take this FWIW . . .You probably are going to need more loft than that. I'd recommend something closer to 10-11 degree range.

Honestly, I would advise you not to buy that at all. I've never seen you swing a club, so take this FWIW . . .You probably are going to need more loft than that. I'd recommend something closer to 10-11 degree range.

Great advice. Those 8.5s are bears to hit.

That's what I swing. :shades:

I have only test driven those. Of course I don't have your God given ability. I have found that 9.5s are best for me. When I go further down, it seems like some of my "natural draw" off the tee is straightened.

I have only test driven those. Of course I don't have your God given ability. I have found that 9.5s are best for me. When I go further down, it seems like some of my "natural draw" off the tee is straightened.

I wish my "God given ability" would allow me to hook it occasionally. I couldn't draw my driver consistently if my life depended on it. The shaft in my Driver is probably too heavy and the loft too low, but I kind of like it because I pretty much can go after it and know that the left side of the golf course is not in play off the tee for me.

Speaking of drivers, what is everyone swinging right now? I am using a TM R5 dual TP right now. I am just starting to try and play more thane twice a year again and have been impressed with the driver. VERY long and forgiving.

It certainly adds a little distance for me when it is hitting on all cylinders. Right now I am hitting a Taylor Made 360 with an extra stiff shaft.

Driver technology is a beautiful thing. I think the whole world is 20 yards longer than they were 5 years ago.

Driver technology is a beautiful thing. I think the whole world is 20 yards longer than they were 5 years ago.

Do yourself a favor and don't play with these twenty somethings that grew up hitting these drivers. Five or six years ago I would have considered myself long off of the tee. Now I have to play in church scrambles to win long drive contests.

Do yourself a favor and don't play with these twenty somethings that grew up hitting these drivers. Five or six years ago I would have considered myself long off of the tee. Now I have to play in church scrambles to win long drive contests.

I know the feeling. I remember my days in Junior golf when I thought I had hammered one if I hit it 250. Now most the kids fly it that far.

I also have a gripe with GPS. I hit one 290 the other day (with the wind at my back) that would have easily been about 315 if the dadgum GPS wasn't around to give me the exact distance.

Those darn accurate measurements!! They're great from the fairway, but they'll take away your manhood off the tee.

Thanks for the advice, GA, I stopped bidding. I will only look at 10-11 degrees.

I can hit it a ton, but my slice is awful. I just don't know how to fix it. :(

Thanks for the advice, GA, I stopped bidding. I will only look at 10-11 degrees.

I can hit it a ton, but my slice is awful. I just don't know how to fix it. :(

Try closing your stance a tad and concentrate on getting your hands through the ball.

Lex and GA, you guys are awesome. Thanks for the tips. We have 1 public course here, so I do a lot of range work. My clubs are so old and I'm going to invest in those TAs and a new driver.

VN Store

Back