A writers thoughts on the Tennessee/Florida match up.

sigh...ok man.

again, sigh all you want.

they had a power running game that utilized te's and fb's throughout his time at florida.

florida's all time leading rusher played under spurrier for four seasons.

hell, spurrier refused to use the shotgun until after florida state pummeled wuerffel into the ground in 1996.

I didn't call names...I said FO....you big DA....and you question the quality of VN posters....at least the majority of them have reading comprehension skills of at least a 5th grade level....unfortunately the same cannot be said for you....mullets and jorts forever eh?

Well, wow. Any reader doubting the average IQ of vol posters should find this post clarifying.

they had a power running game that utilized te's and fb's throughout his time at florida.

hell, spurrier refused to use the shotgun until after florida state pummeled wuerffel into the ground in 1996.

I admire your ambition, 99, but you should remember Bertrand Russell's words: "Education is seldom of any efficacy except in those happy minds in which it is superfluous." No "happy minds" here. I don't think you are going to succeed in explaining Spurrier's offense or the spread.

I admire your ambition, 99, but you should remember Bertrand Russell's words: "Education is seldom of any efficacy except in those happy minds in which it is superfluous." No "happy minds" here. I don't think you are going to succeed in explaining Spurrier's offense or the spread.

You strike me as the kind of guy that is always happy.....and gay

Reactions: 1 person
Until 1990, Florida's success was not attributable to any "brand," because there was none. From 1906-1989 (84 seasons) UF had 15 8+ -win seasons and ZERO SEC Championships. Then Spurrier's Spread offense worked for 10 years. Then Spurrier left and UF was down for 4 years, then Tebow came and UF was up for 4 years. Now they're down again, and have abandoned the Spread for the (good luck!) Pro Set. Demps and Rainey are gone. Whatever "brand" UF claims to have had, it has been short-lived.

As for Kiffin, I call it straight. They guy is no less shrewd than Bear Bryant and is a brilliant HC and recruiter. SEC recruiters wish he'd never been hired by UT (and SEC HCs are glad he's gone). I don't blame him for going home to LA. I hope he gets a few shots at Ohio State and continues to mine Florida talent.

PS. I mentioned Kiffin in the context of UMeyer backing out of OSU's commitment to play UT in 2018-19 -- Lane was the 1st to call him out and certainly UF fans must now agree with Lane.

I see you took my advice to heart. Please continue to focus on what UF failed to accomplish before 1990...I completely understand. Pay no attention to the past 20+ years....nope, nothing to see here. Since 1954, UT has only beaten UF 9 times in 31 games...after winning the first 10 in a row. Our worst team in the past 30 years beat UT in Neyland.

Do we really want to talk about the days when UT's helmets were white, and every player on the field was too? Of course you do. :eek:lol:

To suggest Urban Meyer is afraid to play Tennessee, a team he NEVER lost to, is to also suggest that history-rich and tradition-filled Tennessee is afraid to play the mighty North Carolina Tar Heels in football.

I won't drag the "spread or no spread" discussion deeper into the muck, but I get the impression from some here that any team who doesn't run from the i-formation with a FB and TE on every play is somehow running a "spread" offense, and nothing could be further from the truth.

Finally, Lane Kiffin bolted for the PAC-10 because, like Urban Meyer, he saw the sledding just a little too rough in the SEC. Period. Southern Cal has to contend with Oregon and no one else in that conference. Comparing Kiffin to Bear Bryant...well, you just lost whatever credibility you thought you had.

Last edited:
I didn't call names...I said FO....you big DA....and you question the quality of VN posters....at least the majority of them have reading comprehension skills of at least a 5th grade level....unfortunately the same cannot be said for you....mullets and jorts forever eh?

"Mullets", "jorts", "fifth grade level"--how could I possibly mistaken that for calling names? Just good, solid, intellectual reasoning.

Wow, I've missed a great debate on whether or not Spurrier ran the "spread" offense. By the way, he did not. He certainly spread the field, but so did UT. UT ran 4 wide a lot in the Manning days. I don't think anyone is suggesting UT ran the spread.

Here's the 1st play from the 1995 Bama game. Hit pause at the 7 second mark. 4 receivers, 1 back....Not the "spread."

1995 UT-Bama first play - YouTube

Had the two starting O tackles not been injured FSU wouldn't have pummeled him and most likely wouldn't have won the game. They were both back for the Sugar Bowl and we all know how that turned out.

They really shouldn't...

Why would the fans of tradition-filled and history-rich Tennessee bother to storm the field after beating a flash in the pan program like Florida?

22 years.... Numerous SEC championships....3 National Championships....not bad for a flash in the pan

VN Store

Back