The Golf Thread

i know where you are coming on hitting down on the ball, but it's more important to come through the ball during the swing, not necessarily hit down on the ball. the mistake is scooping or sweeping and bringing the club up as you make contact with the ball. the angle of the club makes the ball get up in the air. maybe it's just different wording, but my opinion nonetheless.

i know where you are coming on hitting down on the ball, but it's more important to come through the ball during the swing, not necessarily hit down on the ball.

Those two things aren't really mutually exclusive though. If you'll watch most of the guys on TV hit down on the irons while releasing the club through impact. You're still hitting the ball first.

i guess what i'm saying is you stay on the same plane you started out with. the club is level with the ground at impact, the same spot it was when you began your address. if you're still hitting down at impact, you're in trouble.

if you're still hitting down at impact, you're in trouble.

Not really . . . I guess it depends on what club you are hitting, but I'd say that for good players - with mid/short irons especially - typically the "bottom" of the swing occurs AFTER impact.

Some players have "swept" everything - most notably Greg Norman - but those guys are few and far between.

i wholeheartedly disagree, but i'm beginning to think it's just the way i'm defining your wordings... if you're wanting extra distance that is a way to go, but you're losing the point of the loft of the club that way. i don't sweep the ball, I get under it and have a higher trajectory for most players of my handicap, i'll admit that. Too many golfers see coming down as extra distance, but you lose the bounce of the club and the ability to make it stick.

i wholeheartedly disagree, but i'm beginning to think it's just the way i'm defining your wordings...

Just another illustration of why there are about 10,000 different theories on how to hit a golf ball. Who's to say what's right or wrong as long as it works for somebody? :eek:k:

i don't sweep the ball, I get under it

Personally, I find that a lot more dangerous than hitting down on the ball. Do you by chance tend to hit a lot of shots thin? And honestly, I've never considered "bounce" to be much of a factor with any club other than a Wedge.

What's your handicap? Just interested . . . Mundane things like swing theory fascinate me.

Personally, I find that a lot more dangerous than hitting down on the ball. Do you by chance tend to hit a lot of shots thin?

What's your handicap? Just interested . . . Mundane things like swing theory fascinate me.

nope... if i do make a mistake, it's hitting it fat. i take the big thick divot out on my swings... however, the divot starts just slightly before where the golf ball was. also, it should be noted that different soils help create bigger or smaller divots. coastal and more northern soils create bigger divots than say Appalachain soil.

the divot starts just slightly before where the golf ball was.

I'm dying to know what you are shooting. That sounds like a recipe for inconsistent ball striking - unless you are a Moe Norman disciple or something.

last time i truly kept track of my handicap it was a seven, which was about a year and a half ago. however, up until about two weeks ago i had only been able to play about 6 times in a year's span and so i'm sure it's a lot higher right now.

here's a tip.... don't play softball all spring, summer, and fall without playing golf at all and then expect to just have your golf swing in your pocket. i played last week and shot a freaking 91. i about blew a gasket.

I actually hit the ball much further with my irons when I hit down on the ball.

here's a tip.... don't play softball all spring, summer, and fall without playing golf at all and then expect to just have your golf swing in your pocket. i played last week and shot a freaking 91. i about blew a gasket.

I go through the same thing. I don't practice enough anymore to shoot really low numbers, but I can usually get it together just well enough to make my expectations get way ahead of my ability.:banghead2:

I practiced checking up balls at the range today, actually did a fair job, all the way as high as with a 6-iron. Could get a slight back-kick with anything higher than 8, and with the 6-8 i only got a short bounce (around 10 ft) and a good stop.

A winter's worth of hitting the wiffle-styled practice balls out in the garage seems to have paid off somewhat. 18 Tomorrow afternoon will show how well.

I've went back in time to the Tommy Armour 845's. They were my 2nd set if irons, sold them and upgraded twice, but i couldn't get the same feel back from impact. So, after $1300 for 2 sets that didn't ever feel right, i got a 2-LW set of 845's on ebay for $120 shipping included. a few hundred for shafts and grips, and i'm loving it.

I have a R-7 Clone driver, i really like it, but have a difficult time corraling it, to cheap to pay a pro to give me some help. So i generally drive with my trusty 4-iron. I can hit it dead straight out to about 215, which is all i need to meet my expectations, assuming I can 2 putt every hole...4 Iron, 5-7 Iron, Wedge, 2 putts=Bogey 5...ugly but it works

After reading this, 'm sure I'll break 80 in the morning..
Lets see..

1) Head down
2) Hit down on the ball
3) Don't sweep the ball

Thanks for the tips..

i wholeheartedly disagree, but i'm beginning to think it's just the way i'm defining your wordings... if you're wanting extra distance that is a way to go, but you're losing the point of the loft of the club that way. i don't sweep the ball, I get under it and have a higher trajectory for most players of my handicap, i'll admit that. Too many golfers see coming down as extra distance, but you lose the bounce of the club and the ability to make it stick.
All pros hit ball before ground, then take divots that start about half inch beyond ball. Even sweepers like couples and norman take short iron divots. My problem with your getting under the ball is that your likely catching grass between the club and ball, lending to extra distance, but horrible ball control. Catching the ball before the ground is all about control and has nothing to do with extra yardage.
Hitting down through the ball has nothing to do with delofting the club and hitting the ball further, that's just a mistake. In fact, a large part of distance control is about getting the club back to the ball with the same loft every time and that should be the true loft that the club rests with at address.

I practiced checking up balls at the range today, actually did a fair job, all the way as high as with a 6-iron. Could get a slight back-kick with anything higher than 8, and with the 6-8 i only got a short bounce (around 10 ft) and a good stop.

A winter's worth of hitting the wiffle-styled practice balls out in the garage seems to have paid off somewhat. 18 Tomorrow afternoon will show how well.
must be one heckuva well maintained range for you to be backing up 8 irons.

VN Store

Back