The Golf Thread

Fine Vol

Go Vols
LAW on a side- What does it cost to rent golf clubs for a round of golf or does the club house do that?

Surely you can borrow a set of clubs. I worked in a proshop in college and I can tell you that rentals suck. They are all 20 year old sets of Golden Bear blades, and most of them are left handed.

Surely you can borrow a set of clubs. I worked in a proshop in college and I can tell you that rentals suck. They are all 20 year old sets of Golden Bear blades, and most of them are left handed.
Great they match my game!!!!!!:) suck

LAW on a side- What does it cost to rent golf clubs for a round of golf or does the club house do that?

Typically you rent them at the course and its ridiculously expensive relative to the round. I've not had to do it, but have had people come into town and pay $50 to rent clubs for a $75 round. Why? Because they know you need them and you've got nowhere else to go. And most courses make every group go out with that number of golf bags and clubs, so no sharing is permitted in most cases. Now, if you are doing a charity thing, they may not check or even care.

I saw your post the other day about shooting 110 and I gather you do not have a set of clubs. Given that, my suspicion is that if you actually kept accurate score and didn't take mulligans, you probably actually shoot more like 125. Don't sweat it, you've got to start somewhere.

My advice is that you go to a Play It Again Sports where they sell used equipment. Used golf clubs in Florida are more common than sand here, so you can probably buy a good basic set of used irons for $100 or so and then a cheap used driver and putter for maybe another $100.

Why should I pay $200 for clubs when I can rent for $50, you ask. Good question. If you ever want to play the game well, you need to get a set of clubs that you use all the time. It makes a difference. Then you need to go take lessons. You can buy into a group lesson for $80 to $100 and usually get four hours of instruction for that, along with three or four other folks. It is so worth it.

You live in Florida. If you don't invest some time and money on the front end to learn how to grip, line-up, and swing the club properly, you are letting one of our greatest advantages in this state go to waste. There's good golf courses every 30 feet.

Have fun tomorrow. Hit 'em straight. And remember, mulligans are for losers. Don't be a loser, never take a mulligan.

Have fun tomorrow. Hit 'em straight. And remember, mulligans are for losers. Don't be a loser, never take a mulligan.

Very good advice on the clubs. Make sure you pay a little extra for cavity backs. I think that King Cobra has the best irons out there FOR THE PRICE. I gave a set away when I got my Taylor Made bubble shafts, and I still miss them. Invest in clubs and go to the driving range often. It is really the only way to get better.

LG, at least let me hit two balls off the first tee. That is all that I ask.

Typically you rent them at the course and its ridiculously expensive relative to the round. I've not had to do it, but have had people come into town and pay $50 to rent clubs for a $75 round. Why? Because they know you need them and you've got nowhere else to go. And most courses make every group go out with that number of golf bags and clubs, so no sharing is permitted in most cases. Now, if you are doing a charity thing, they may not check or even care.

I saw your post the other day about shooting 110 and I gather you do not have a set of clubs. Given that, my suspicion is that if you actually kept accurate score and didn't take mulligans, you probably actually shoot more like 125. Don't sweat it, you've got to start somewhere.

My advice is that you go to a Play It Again Sports where they sell used equipment. Used golf clubs in Florida are more common than sand here, so you can probably buy a good basic set of used irons for $100 or so and then a cheap used driver and putter for maybe another $100.

Why should I pay $200 for clubs when I can rent for $50, you ask. Good question. If you ever want to play the game well, you need to get a set of clubs that you use all the time. It makes a difference. Then you need to go take lessons. You can buy into a group lesson for $80 to $100 and usually get four hours of instruction for that, along with three or four other folks. It is so worth it.

You live in Florida. If you don't invest some time and money on the front end to learn how to grip, line-up, and swing the club properly, you are letting one of our greatest advantages in this state go to waste. There's good golf courses every 30 feet.

Its funny I live on a golf course. I played for a couple years but I am no no good. I had a set of Ping ISI-ks but sold them. I think I will borrow some. Good advice.

Very good advice on the clubs. Make sure you pay a little extra for cavity backs. I think that King Cobra has the best irons out there FOR THE PRICE. I gave a set away when I got my Taylor Made bubble shafts, and I still miss them. Invest in clubs and go to the driving range often. It is really the only way to get better.

LG, at least let me hit two balls off the first tee. That is all that I ask.

I agree except that if you are a true beginner, go cheap for now and work on your swing. Equipment makes a difference, but not if you can't hit the ball to begin with.

And Lex, the answer is no. I repeat: Mulligans are for losers. Don't be a loser, never take a mulligan.

If you don't get there early enough to hit a few on the range before the first tee, tough nuggies. Get your azz there earlier next time.

Its funny I live on a golf course. I played for a couple years but I am no no good. I had a set of Ping ISI-ks but sold them. I think I will borrow some. Good advice.

No shame in borrowing them. If you lived closer, I could probably cobble together a passable set for you. But its time to grow up. You need your own set long-term. Seriously, check out a Play It Again shop. They are usually inundated in used sets, many of them quite good.

No shame in borrowing them. If you lived closer, I could probably cobble together a passable set for you. But its time to grow up. You need your own set long-term. Seriously, check out a Play It Again shop. They are usually inundated in used sets, many of them quite good.
Sounds good:eek:k:

I agree except that if you are a true beginner, go cheap for now and work on your swing. Equipment makes a difference, but not if you can't hit the ball to begin with.

And Lex, the answer is no. I repeat: Mulligans are for losers. Don't be a loser, never take a mulligan.

If you don't get there early enough to hit a few on the range before the first tee, tough nuggies. Get your azz there earlier next time.

OK. No more mulligans off of the first tee....not. Just don't have the time to warm up. If you and I ever tee it up, I will play by your rules.

I don't know if they are still circulating, but in Lex, you could get a set of Tommy Armour 845s for next to nothing. You may want to look around. Those are some quality clubs.

I hit a driver pretty well and a 3 wood off the fairway but irons I suck at, mental block.

Not mental. You are not swinging properly. Trust me. I have sooooooo been there.

A couple of tips (and remember, we all think we are experts).

1) Don't swing like an eggshell, i.e. straight up and down. There should be some angle there akin to 45 degrees plane to ground.

2) Hit down on the ball. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but the goal is to pinch the ball between the clubface and the ground. The club will naturally lift the ball. The biggest mistake people make is trying to sweep a ball off the ground. It doesn't work that way. Ever wonder why the pros take enormous divots? Because they hit down on the ball.

3) I know it is a mantra, but its true. Keep your head down. If you play and practice enough so as to repeat the same swing over and over, you learn to trust it. And that means that you line up your shot and play your draw or your slice, and then swing, confident that the ball will do what you intended. So you don't need to watch it until it is well on its way. That, my friend, is the secret to shooting in the 80's. Shooting in the 70's is about putting. And you don't want my advice on that because if you take it you will quit the game.

Not mental. You are not swinging properly. Trust me. I have sooooooo been there.

2) Hit down on the ball. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but the goal is to pinch the ball between the clubface and the ground. The club will naturally lift the ball. The biggest mistake people make is trying to sweep a ball off the ground. It doesn't work that way. Ever wonder why the pros take enormous divots? Because they hit down on the ball.

Absolutely the most important step in learning iron play. Do not sweep the ball, try and drive the top of the ball into the ground.

1) Don't swing like an eggshell, i.e. straight up and down. There should be some angle there akin to 45 degrees plane to ground.

3) I know it is a mantra, but its true. Keep your head down. If you play and practice enough so as to repeat the same swing over and over, you learn to trust it. And that means that you line up your shot and play your draw or your slice, and then swing, confident that the ball will do what you intended. So you don't need to watch it until it is well on its way. That, my friend, is the secret to shooting in the 80's. Shooting in the 70's is about putting. And you don't want my advice on that because if you take it you will quit the game.
Thanks great advice, the hit down on the ball I will take to heart because I do what you said, try to sweep under it.:hi:

We will be weeeelllllllll.........getting .....lets say HAMMERED and have some Monte Cristos on the side

Thanks great advice, the hit down on the ball I will take to heart because I do what you said, try to sweep under it.:hi:

Leads to shanking the ball, slicing the ball, topping the ball... The one thing that does not do is lift it off the damn ground.

Isn't it true with your woods off the tee to have a swing that sweeps?

Obviously irons you swing down. My irons are getting much better in my 2nd season of golf.

However, I can blast the off the tee with my driver or my 3 wood, but my slice is awful.

Obviously irons you swing down. My irons are getting much better in my 2nd season of golf.

However, I can blast the off the tee with my driver or my 3 wood, but my slice is awful.
Yea irons are hard so I will hit down on the ball.

The only club that should sweep would be the driver and that's based solely upon ball position. Some good pros will sweep the 3 wood, but majority tee it low and catch it with a slight descending blow, generating back spin to lift the ball. If they are trying to hit a moon ball that stops quickly, they might move it a bit forward in their stance to catch it on the flat stretch of swing, but 3 woods are made with slight bit of bounce to press the hands forward of the ball just a hair. That bounce can be deadly to the mere mortal trying to sweep a 3 wood.

If you really want to get better, scrap the long stuff for a while and hit tons of shots from 40 yards and closer. That way, you'll stop caring about distance and begin to develop good directional control, a feel for the center of the club and some rhythm to the swing. Not to mention you'll shave about a jillion strokes.

The only club that should sweep would be the driver and that's based solely upon ball position. Some good pros will sweep the 3 wood, but majority tee it low and catch it with a slight descending blow, generating back spin to lift the ball. If they are trying to hit a moon ball that stops quickly, they might move it a bit forward in their stance to catch it on the flat stretch of swing, but 3 woods are made with slight bit of bounce to press the hands forward of the ball just a hair. That bounce can be deadly to the mere mortal trying to sweep a 3 wood.

If you really want to get better, scrap the long stuff for a while and hit tons of shots from 40 yards and closer. That way, you'll stop caring about distance and begin to develop good directional control, a feel for the center of the club and some rhythm to the swing. Not to mention you'll shave about a jillion strokes.

Truer words never spoken. Ask any PGA player and they will confirm that 95 percent of scoring is about what happens inside 100 yards.

:thumbsup:

VN Store

Back