Who are the next additions to the SEC?

Who will be the next two victims?

• Total voters
I tried to figure out why Florida State, Southern Miss, Clemson, Louisville, Va. tech, were not added to the S.E.C.
When a decision is made that doesn't make a lot os sense, then you follow the "money factor"
The only reason I could imagine for "A & M" and "Missouri" to be selected by the S.E.C. is for some type of financial gain for the S.E.C.
The only possible financial gain I could see was the t.v. market.

I think with A&M, you could argue that there were football and recruiting considerations there, but at the end of the day, I think you do have to follow the money. That said, I still think the SEC wants to remain reasonably regional, making robbing the ACC the most realistic option. The only concern there is the increase in the buyouts that was added due to a concern over the conference being picked apart. I personally think that was done to discourage ACC teams from joining the SEC. Ultimately, I think the SEC will provide sufficient assurances to the schools to convince them to make the move. My guess is the defectors will be NC State and Virginia Tech.

Tied together differently.

Give me sec to find some of that stuff again, but what comes to mind immediately is that 3/4 of NC State's board of trustees are people elected (put in place) by UNC's Board of Governors

Got it:

Board of Trustees :: University Administration :: North Carolina State University

Alabama | MrSEC

I hear what you're saying, but allow me to provide this counter. What would be the impetus for North Carolina to block the move? Again, they are particularly heated rivals. We aren't talking about officials who have a major stake in the football aspect of things. If there is this link, couldn't UNC potentially benefit from this new connection. I understand what the writers are saying could be a fight, but I'm not seeing the point of the fight.

I hear what you're saying, but allow me to provide this counter. What would be the impetus for North Carolina to block the move? Again, they are particularly heated rivals. We aren't talking about officials who have a major stake in the football aspect of things. If there is this link, couldn't UNC potentially benefit from this new connection. I understand what the writers are saying could be a fight, but I'm not seeing the point of the fight.

Good point since the entire UNC system could seemingly benefit from the SEC monies....

I'd rather have UNC than NC st.

Okay, I keep hearing this, and I think most of us would, but you don't get them without Duke, and when you talk television contracts, Duke doesn't help on the football end of things. Adding Vanderbilt 2.0 doesn't make much sense when it boils down to dollars and cents. Plenty of people have also argued that Duke is on the downward side of that basketball success, which would make their addition increasingly pointless. North Carolina is too entrenched with the Duke rivalry to make a move, but NC State doesn't have a big rivalry. The closest thing they have to a big rivalry is the Textile Bowl against Clemson given the cooling of the rivalry with UNC. I'm just not sure what the SEC will offer short of a spot for Duke that will satisfy the Tarheels, and I simply don't believe the conference wants that.

Okay, I keep hearing this, and I think most of us would, but you don't get them without Duke, and when you talk television contracts, Duke doesn't help on the football end of things. Adding Vanderbilt 2.0 doesn't make much sense when it boils down to dollars and cents. Plenty of people have also argued that Duke is on the downward side of that basketball success, which would make their addition increasingly pointless. North Carolina is too entrenched with the Duke rivalry to make a move, but NC State doesn't have a big rivalry. The closest thing they have to a big rivalry is the Textile Bowl against Clemson given the cooling of the rivalry with UNC. I'm just not sure what the SEC will offer short of a spot for Duke that will satisfy the Tarheels, and I simply don't believe the conference wants that.

Didn't say it was most likely, or that it wouldn't have the most implications. I just gave a "I'd drether". I think UNC would be a fun UT rival. Battle for the state, the State of Franklin Cup. Would be allsome.

Didn't say it was most likely, or that it wouldn't have the most implications. I just gave a "I'd drether". I think UNC would be a fun UT rival. Battle for the state, the State of Franklin Cup. Would be allsome.

It could be fun. So could a budding rivalry with VT.

I'd love to whip the turkey hogies on a regular basis.

It may be a very real future for the conference. As much as I know some people are resistant to this, I feel privileged to witness the biggest change in college football since the BCS (which I also witnessed, along with the move to a twelve team conference, but I digress). College football is trying to adapt to the future, and I find it all fascinating. I suppose that's the sports announcer in me coming out versus the fan inside.

It may be a very real future for the conference. As much as I know some people are resistant to this, I feel privileged to witness the biggest change in college football since the BCS (which I also witnessed, along with the move to a twelve team conference, but I digress). College football is trying to adapt to the future, and I find it all fascinating. I suppose that's the sports announcer in me coming out versus the fan inside.

I'm proud that UT is an SEC original. I don't mind a little more expansion; however, I really wish we could stay with whatever format we have for a few decades. I want to establish some rivalries. I mean I'm just now feeling like USC and Arky are part of the SEC, and I'm just now starting to have a certain level of feelings towards those teams.

I'm proud that UT is an SEC original. I don't mind a little more expansion; however, I really wish we could stay with whatever format we have for a few decades. I want to establish some rivalries. I mean I'm just now feeling like USC and Arky are part of the SEC, and I'm just now starting to have a certain level of feelings towards those teams.

I guess it's just a perspective issue. I tend to look at things in a more academic fashion and remove my personal feelings from things. In fact, I've done it so much that I'm not sure I have personal feelings about any of it anymore. I just get lost in the numbers and the eye tests and forget to just be a fan sometimes. Until kickoff anyway! Then I'm ALL-VOL!

Reactions: 1 person
I guess it's just a perspective issue. I tend to look at things in a more academic fashion and remove my personal feelings from things. In fact, I've done it so much that I'm not sure I have personal feelings about any of it anymore. I just get lost in the numbers and the eye tests and forget to just be a fan sometimes. Until kickoff anyway! Then I'm ALL-VOL!

I'm not saying I'm right, I just want to have feelings and appreciation after the conferences and colleges cash their checks, while I still owe them money never the less.

Something I hadn't thought about, what about sports at the other schools that are D1 and are perennial NCs or are competing for the NC? VA has a hell of a Lacrosse team as does Duke and NC (Lacrosse is sanctioned in the ACC). NCSt is still club I think at least in that sport and so is VT, Clemson, FL St, and GT. Don't know about Louisville. Wake would be another addition to consider, although we would probably have to send Vandy West so LSUseless wouldn't cry.

I'll say it...West Virginia. I've heard arguments against, butI believe they're a real good fit. Quality program w/ rabid fans. Geographically, not too off base. Much closer to us than Florida and others...and it doesn't add to our apparent westward march.

I also wouldn't rule out Baylor since we're already in Texas. Up and coming teams...I admittedly don't know how good their facilities are.

For quality of play, I'd also go VTech. For selfish geographical reasons, gimme UVA or the Ville.

I picked Clemson and FSU..... doubt we get either of them and I'm against expansion, but if its inevitable id rather get teams that ensure the SEC stays the best conference in college football...... Missouri? Wtf.... that was lame....

Mizzou gets the SEC into two major tv markets: St Louis covering all of eastern MO and southern IL and KC covering western MO and eastern KS. I believe both of them are larger than any in TN, MS, SC, or AL.

For this reason I think VT has to be one of them covering VA and DC. After that, you got to make a run at another TX team or else Ok St to open up another market.

I know many folks from TN and other SEC states do not understand it. But the NCSU v UNC rivalry is old and very meaningful to their alumni and the state. I very seriously doubt that UNC, Duke, NCSU, or even WFU would give any thought to leaving the ACC.

Agreed. A&M may not be a powerhouse but they bring HUGE tradition and a good place to go see a game.

I am with you on that one.. A&M is a good fit for the SEC IMO.. I have seen A&M games before with family that live in TX.. and it felt almost like home.. similar type of fans/tradition etc..

Mizzou on the other hand.. IDK. we will see..

I went with Clemson and Va. Tech. Football-wise, i think their traditions fit in best with SEC teams. However, I think the SEC will likely go after a UNC or UVA, due to academics as well as athletics, since that's what they did this time as well. I don't think they pull UNC though, because of the ties to Duke. So, I think the two likely candidates would be NC State and UVA, for the markets, academics, and athletics.

other

Would love to see OK and OK St. They are good teams with history and tradition.
Move bammer and auburn to the east and you get to keep those rivalries without somehow being unfair.

Either of the Virginia Schools and NC State would make sense. There are a lot of political obstacles for both (VaTech still owes UVA for ACC admissions and the Reynolds family apparently runs the show in Raleigh) and the ACC will be reeling if the Florida schools and Clemson leave. Personally, I would have liked WVU to garner more attention but word was the SEC presidents didn't think too highly of that institution (I mean, we have Alabama and Kentucky so it seems a little contridictory).

Just for kicks and giggles, ASSUMING that the SEC is going to 16 teams, who do you think should be the next two? If you pick other, please list a team.....PLEASE ONLY PICK TWO.

They are going to 16 teams....It is a matter of time.

I'll say it...West Virginia. I've heard arguments against, butI believe they're a real good fit. Quality program w/ rabid fans. Geographically, not too off base. Much closer to us than Florida and others...and it doesn't add to our apparent westward march.

I also wouldn't rule out Baylor since we're already in Texas. Up and coming teams...I admittedly don't know how good their facilities are.

For quality of play, I'd also go VTech. For selfish geographical reasons, gimme UVA or the Ville.

You make some good points.....WVU would be a pretty good choice coupled with VT although WVU would be as hard a sell as it was last year when they were deemed not to fit academic standards although with some of the schools in the conference, I don't see how that could be true.

You also mention more Texas teams, Baylor would be a good one as well as possibly Houston? Would Tulane have a chance at getting back in or are they just too non-competitive. Could be the WD's Vandy...They were an original member. LSUseless would probably complain about them too.

VN Store

Back