2013 AL PG Travon Landry

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
In case you didn't know, Landry committed to the Vols in December. He had an offer from Vanderbilt, and schools such as Alabama, G'Town, and Auburn after him.

ESPN Evaluation

Strengths:
Landry is a pass first point guard that knows how to run a team and is an extension of the head coach on the floor. He is more concerned about winning than stats, but has shown the ability to take over a game when his team needs him. He has a high basketball I.Q. on both sides of the ball and dictates tempo with his ball pressure. He is a threat to knock down an open 3-ball and has speed and ball quickness to get into the paint at will.

Weaknesses:
Although Landry has shown he can shoot it when open he will need to develop his consistency on his 3 point shot; because of his ball quickness defenders often sag in order to contain his penetration and he will need to make them pay when he gets to the college level.

Bottom Line:
Tennessee got themselves a tough hard-nosed competitor that has a great work ethic and loves to compete. His defensive abilities may be more advanced than his offensive prowess at the moment, but he possesses a second gear with the ball that should give him the chance to be very effective scoring the ball when needed.

Links

Travon Landry - Yahoo! Sports
Basketball Recruiting - Travon Landry - Player Profiles - ESPN
Travon Landry

Interview about his decision to go to UT in February
Future Tennessee Volunteer: Travon Landry (2013) |

Twitter handle:TLandry01

Thanks so much for taking the time to create this thread zjc. Much appreciated.

ESPN sure showed him no love. Good to see Vandy wanted him though. They know how to evaluate well, and also tells me he is in good academic standing.

Last edited:
Strengths:
Landry is a pass first point guard that knows how to run a team and is an extension of the head coach on the floor. He is more concerned about winning than stats, but has shown the ability to take over a game when his team needs him. He has a high basketball I.Q. on both sides of the ball and dictates tempo with his ball pressure. He is a threat to knock down an open 3-ball and has speed and ball quickness to get into the paint at will.

Sounds exactly like what we need!

Thanks so much for taking the rime to create this thread zjc. Much appreciated.

ESPN sure showed him no love. Good to see Vandy wanted him though. They know how to evaluate well, and also tells me he is in good academic standing.

No problem. His committment came out of nowhere and we didn't have a thread, so we need one.

@TLandry01: I'm going to sleep in a Alabama shirt.....but I'm wearing it inside out #VFL
He said that like two days ago.

This kid plays for my high school alma mater. Jordan Howell went to the same high school. Good basketball school. They lost in the state finals this past year. His former teammate is a freshman starter for Bama, Levi Randolph.

Not to be a negavol, just realistic...

Landrys performance do far in eybl is alarmingly awful. Here's his averages:

22mpg 6ppg 3apg 1.5to 2.6rbd 38%fg 20%3pt 59%ft

A recent scout put out said...Eric Bossi of Rivals recently reviewed his play in EYBL with "tough kid, decent defender, not a scorer, role player not an impact kid."

Pretty clear now why we are still pursuing other PG, Landry doesn't seem to have progressed at all.

A recent scout put out said...Eric Bossi of Rivals recently reviewed his play in EYBL with "tough kid, decent defender, not a scorer, role player not an impact kid."

Pretty clear now why we are still pursuing other PG, Landry doesn't seem to have progressed at all.

Yeah I'm officially not on board with this. Nothing against him, but it probably wouldn't be beneficial to our program

BTO, earlier you had written you "loved his game." Do you think Landry has regressed from when you saw him or the level of competition is just so much higher in EYBL?

BTO, earlier you had written you "loved his game." Do you think Landry has regressed from when you saw him or the level of competition is just so much higher in EYBL?

Where was that post, not saying I didn't say it just curious as to the context and timing...

When he committed here I was excited about it and liked his gamheart was early junior year and had a good game for a young JR. Unfortunately his numbers haven't improved at all, and now that he's playing EYBL his weaknesses are really glaring and his lack of any big strengths in his game are obvious.

Unless he does major improvements, he is a quick guard who has good handles and is a good passer. BUT, he can't shoot from anywhere, his turnovers are a but worrisome for a PG, his defense is average and he appears to be nothing more than a role player.

It appears the staff feels the same and that's why we are really hounding guys like Newkirk, and still scouting some others. I feel like you can find a capable backup PG late in the process and that's why I wish we'd have waited a bit on him. Although, PG is a position that is nice to have depth at, maybe we bring in Newkirk and Landry and lose one of our many wings that we have(Reese or chievous). Then again, jaquel Richmond is a stud PG in the 2014 class and may be turned off by a having 2 sophomore PG on the roster.

Either way, if he ends up here I'll be rooting for him as hard as any other player, but I just am not very excited right now thinking that he's our PG of the future.

He'll still be a solid player. A couple bad weeks means nothing to me.

He'll still be a solid player. A couple bad weeks means nothing to me.

It's over a month of very bad play. This is his chance to play against top competition and he hasn't shown very well. Scouts saying hes a role player, or mid major level guy isn't too enticing. EYBL is a great barometer of a players skill set and level, and to this point landrys is very underwhelming.

There's a reason the staff is still heavily pursuing other PG, mainly Josh Newkirk.

A lot of guys when they committ early stop working to improve, maybe that's the case with Landry, because he hasn't improved and some scouts say has actually regressed. If it was a bad game or 2 ok, but over a month and 24 games and he hasnt shown much...that's worrisome.

His biggest fault, and problem right now is his shot. Shooting 50's or lower from the free throw line, and teens from 3 point land just isn't going to cut it, and that's been the knock for awhile yet it hasn't improved.

EYBL is basically a second high school season just against better competition. College coaches love it and put a lot of stock into how players play in this league. As I said, maybe Landry figures it out and works and improves, but right now he appears nothing more than a role player/backup, and I'm definitely not the only one with thy opinion.

Last edited:
It's over a month of very bad play. This is his chance to play against top competition and he hasn't shown very well. Scouts saying hes a role player, or mid major level guy isn't too enticing. EYBL is a great barometer of a players skill set and level, and to this point landrys is very underwhelming.

There's a reason the staff is still heavily pursuing other PG, mainly Josh Newkirk.

A lot of guys when they committ early stop working to improve, maybe that's the case with Landry, because he hasn't improved and some scouts say has actually regressed. If it was a bad game or 2 ok, but over a month and 24 games and he hasnt shown much...that's worrisome.

His biggest fault, and problem right now is his shot. Shooting 50's or lower from the free throw line, and teens from 3 point land just isn't going to cut it, and that's been the knock for awhile yet it hasn't improved.

EYBL is basically a second high school season just against better competition. College coaches love it and put a lot of stock into how players play in this league. As I said, maybe Landry figures it out and works and improves, but right now he appears nothing more than a role player/backup, and I'm definitely not the only one with thy opinion.

THe problem we are pursuing another point guard is because we don't have one other than Landry when Golden leaves.

I agree, the stats are disappointing. But I'm not too worried.

THe problem we are pursuing another point guard is because we don't have one other than Landry when Golden leaves.

I agree, the stats are disappointing. But I'm not too worried.

I don't think it's as much that as it is they aren't confident in Landry. You have golden and Landry for 2013 season. Were high on Richmond list for 2014 and will most likely bring a PG in that class as well. So that leaves Landry and frosh for the 2014 season. Plus you still have Armani and Richardson who both can play the point, Armani more than josh most likely.

So yes while pursuing Newkirk has something to probably do with future depth, I'd say it's more about the lack of progression and confidence the staff has in Landry. As posters have been saying, if it comes down to the end and we have Newkirk committed and need another scholarship for a recruit, the staff may be telling Landry to look elsewhere. Or maybe even if they get a committment from Newkirk they may go ahead and tell him to look elsewhere.

I like Landry, he's a great kid and very humble, but right now he's not a SEC point guard. If he busts his a$$ in the gym then maybe hell be one, but right now I'm worried if he's our PG of the future.

I looked at some of the box scores for the EYBL games. Now while I didn't look at all of them, I think it's safe to say that Landry's team was in over their heads at this thing. They finished 5-15 and many of the games were not even close. Maybe Landry's bad numbers are a product of a pass-first PG on a badly over-matched team. Who knows really without someone having been there or posting video.

If he played EYBL will he still play AAU ball this summer too? If so, it will be interesting to see if his numbers spike back up. If he struggles in regular AAU, Martin may cut him loose sooner rather than later.

I looked at some of the box scores for the EYBL games. Now while I didn't look at all of them, I think it's safe to say that Landry's team was in over their heads at this thing. They finished 5-15 and many of the games were not even close. Maybe Landry's bad numbers are a product of a pass-first PG on a badly over-matched team. Who knows really without someone having been there or posting video.

If he played EYBL will he still play AAU ball this summer too? If so, it will be interesting to see if his numbers spike back up. If he struggles in regular AAU, Martin may cut him loose sooner rather than later.

Even in their "good" games he didn't exactly play lights out, that was the issue I had. He has 5* jimmy Taylor and 5* 14' Devin booker on his team, they should've been better than what they were.

I didn't get to see any, was planning in making the Hampton session but things came up. So I'm solely going off the numbers, and more so what scouts reports and opinions are of him after every session, and now after the season.

As far as the playing more AAU ball, I'm really not sure about that part, I can try and find out though.

VN Store

Back