Maryland getting new turf to rival the "Smurf Turf"

Hoosier_Vol

Vol Stuck in B1G 10 Hell
Maryland is replacing the turf used for football and lacrosse at Byrd Stadium. According to a lacrosse blog and Maryland fans the stadium is getting a new turf to rival the Boise State "Smurf Turf." According to the blog, the turf will be grey and white but a GIF being circulated by Maryland fans has the turf as black with a "diamondback" design in it. The endzones would be representations of the Maryland state flag.

Lacrosse Playground» Blog Archive » Byrd Stadium Gets Turf, University of Maryland Is Breaking Ground But Not Tradition

Screen-shot-2012-05-23-at-1.02.59-PM.png

Pretty sure this was an April Fool's Day joke, and I'm also pretty sure the NCAA put the kaibosh on all non-green fields after letting Eastern Washington get the red turf.

Pretty sure this was an April Fool's Day joke, and I'm also pretty sure the NCAA put the kaibosh on all non-green fields after letting Eastern Washington get the red turf.

nope...
I found this

The most prevalent is that the NCAA subsequently banned playing surface colors other than green, but allowed Bronco Stadium's field to remain blue under a grandfather clause. In reality, the NCAA has never adopted such a rule. Any school may color its playing surface (or any part, mainly the end zones) any color it wishes. Indeed, other schools have non-green football fields including the University of New Haven (blue)[16] and Eastern Washington University (red). [17] On April 1, 2011, the University of Central Arkansas announced that they would install a purple and grey striped field to Estes Stadium.[18] Nine high schools also have non-green fields: Barrow High School in Barrow, Alaska,[19] Lovington High School in Lovington, New Mexico, West Hills High School in Santee, California (alternating royal and sky blue every five yards), Hidalgo High School in Hidalgo, Texas (navy), Chaminade College Preparatory School in the Los Angeles neighborhood of West Hills, Oxford High School in Oxford, Michigan, New Braunfels (Texas) Canyon High (red)[20][21] and Canutillo High School in El Paso, Texas. The four Boise high schools in Idaho of Boise, Borah, Capital and Timberline also compete on a non-green field, as all four play their home games at Bronco Stadium.

I think its nice but yeah Boise was grandfathered in on off colored turf. I havent seen the red turf. Yall pacific time zoners get to see those great games.

Football, meant to be played on natural, green grass. Nothing else. If you need a gimmick to bring fans in, stick to soccer.

Reactions: 2 people
Football, meant to be played on natural, green grass. Nothing else. If you need a gimmick to bring fans in, stick to soccer.

Agreed. And Boise doesn't need a gimmick any more, but I guess the Smurf Turf has become so much of who they are that they couldn't get rid of it at this point.

It doesnt bother me but if you have a colored field then I dont think its fair to play wearing same color jersey. For instance boise should have to wear orange.

Yeah, the world's most famous sport, a sport who doesn't even have any sort of competition to attempt to steal the most famous title, needs gimmicks to survive. What an idiot.

Yeah, the world's most famous sport, a sport who doesn't even have any sort of competition to attempt to steal the most famous title, needs gimmicks to survive. What an idiot.

Nice namecalling! Did you get a violation for that?

I'm well aware of soccer's worldwide appeal. I was referring to the fact that American football doesn't require gimmicks to sell tickets. American soccer just doesn't have the natural draw that American football does.

Nice namecalling! Did you get a violation for that?

I'm well aware of soccer's worldwide appeal. I was referring to the fact that American football doesn't require gimmicks to sell tickets. American soccer just doesn't have the natural draw that American football does.

what type of "gimmicks" is soccer using? You may be offended by the name, and likely did report me, but I used the name it because by definition it fit the best.

VN Store

Back