More SEC expansion talk ???

ukvols has the best divisions.

Thanks.

I'm not the only one to suggest that divisional breakdown, but I think I have the best idea for scheduling if they stick with an 8-game schedule. I would miss the annual games with UGA and USC, but it'd be nice to get a home-and-home with the entire league every six years, keep playing teams like Bama, Vandy, and UK every year, and draw the Gators four times every six years.

If they increase to a 9-game schedule, just make everyone I listed as a "preferred" opponent an additional permanent opponent, and then another team would become the "preferred" opponent. For example, with a 9-game schedule, we could play UF every year and someone else, either UGA or USC, four times every six years instead of just twice.

Last edited:
Clemson's relatively unplanned BoT meeting about conference alignment is today.

I predict a noncommital statement expressing a desire to do what's best for the school, leaving the door open. The beginning of the end of the ACC as we know it could really be here, I think.

Clemson meeting: Much ado about nothing - ACC Blog - ESPN

From ESPN.com's ACC Blog:

Clemson's board of trustees will meet at 4 p.m. today, but a school spokesman told me the only thing that will be voted on will be tuition. Yes, the board members will discuss the recent speculation surrounding the Big 12, but more than anything, it's an informative session to make sure everyone is on the same page. Don't expect any major news out of this meeting on the expansion front.

I've spoken with several athletic directors and ACC officials, and I'm constantly hearing the same thing: Nobody is expecting anything to change anytime soon.

I believe them.

If -- and that's a huge if -- anything were to change, it wouldn't happen until after the new playoff format has been decided upon.

I'm pretty sure the Clemson AD specifically said the meeting was partially to get everyone on the same page about alignment.

Heather Dinich is notoriously behind on all ACC news, anyway, so I'm taking her little blurb with a serious grain of salt.

EDIT: it was the board chairman- here's a link from one of their bigger fansites, with quotes: http://m.tigernet.com/m/view/story.do?id=10623

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the Clemson AD specifically said the meeting was partially to get everyone on the same page about alignment.

Heather Dinich is notoriously behind on all ACC news, anyway, so I'm taking her little blurb with a serious grain of salt.

EDIT: it was the board chairman- here's a link from one of their bigger fansites, with quotes: TigerNet.com Mobile -- News Story

edit your post again. you posted a mobile link

...weird how it becomes a clickable link when quoted though

edit your post again. you posted a mobile link

...weird how it becomes a clickable link when quoted though

Yeah, I'm on mobile and my screen keyboard is acting weird. You've quoted it so the link works on there, and I assume people can figure it out.

Nothing will happen with ACC teams until the structure of the playoff system is announced. If they ACC gets left out as a conference (Hopefully this happens), then a mass exodus will happen. If somehow the ACC can still take part in the 4 team playoff, nothing major will happen.

Nothing will happen with ACC teams until the structure of the playoff system is announced. If they ACC gets left out as a conference (Hopefully this happens), then a mass exodus will happen. If somehow the ACC can still take part in the 4 team playoff, nothing major will happen.

I wouldn't count on it. FSU and Clemson are pissed about the terrible TV deal the ACC just signed.

Football is being put in the backseat by the people running the conference. The football schools are getting sick of being pushed around, kind of like A&M was sick of being pushed around by the Big XII and Texas.

I wouldn't count on it. FSU and Clemson are pissed about the terrible TV deal the ACC just signed.

Football is being put in the backseat by the people running the conference. The football schools are getting sick of being pushed around, kind of like A&M was sick of being pushed around by the Big XII and Texas.

Yep and that's why that conference is about to take a nosedive and we need to jump in. Some believe that NC State is joined at the hip with UNC and that's not even close to being the case. All UNC cares about is Duke and they won't go anywhere without them. NCSU hates UNC and would jump quickly at a chance to join this conference. It's the same with VT, they hate UVA with a passion and feel that they belong in this conference. We would be dumb to not go after those two teams if/when expansion happens again.

I'm not sure so much it's really that football is being put in the back seat as it is that the main football schools aren't performing at all near the level expected of them and as such the TV executives are refusing to up that area of the money received (they have scheduled look-ins every X years in the contracts that, if I understand correctly, allow the conference to renegotiate for more money if the level of play - mainly football -were to improve).

I'm not sure so much it's really that football is being put in the back seat as it is that the main football schools aren't performing at all near the level expected of them and as such the TV executives are refusing to up that area of the money received (they have scheduled look-ins every X years in the contracts that, if I understand correctly, allow the conference to renegotiate for more money if the level of play - mainly football -were to improve).

But that's not the perspective those schools are looking at.

Yep and that's why that conference is about to take a nosedive and we need to jump in. Some believe that NC State is joined at the hip with UNC and that's not even close to being the case. All UNC cares about is Duke and they won't go anywhere without them. NCSU hates UNC and would jump quickly at a chance to join this conference.

To be fair, that's really seems to more be the fans, not so much the board and school officials (ex/ president) here.

Perhaps more importantly here though (possibly something getting overlooked):

3/4 of NC State's board of trustees are people elected (put in place) by UNC's Board of Governors

Board of Trustees :: University Administration :: North Carolina State University

North Carolina State University is a constituent institution of the University of North Carolina (UNC) system. According to The UNC Code, NC State shall have a board of trustees composed of thirteen persons: eight are elected by the UNC Board of Governors, four are appointed by the governor, and the remaining member is the president of the student government, ex officio.

The Board of Trustees shall promote the sound development of its institution within the functions prescribed for it, helping it to serve the people of the state in a way that will complement the activities of the other institutions and aiding it to perform at a high level of excellence in every area of endeavor. Each board of trustees shall serve as an advisor to the Board of Governors on matters pertaining to its institution and shall also serve as advisor to the Chancellor concerning the management and development of the institution.

Alabama | MrSEC

As for NC State — a school oft-mentioned because no one believes North Carolina and/or Duke would move to the SEC — there would be some serious political issues to work out as well. NCSU is a “constituent institution” of the University of North Carolina system. In other words, the schools have a connection. We’re not talking Texas and Texas A&M, here.

State has a 13-person board of trustees. One member is the president of the student government. Four trustees are appointed by the governor. The remaining eight NCSU trustees are elected by the UNC board of governors.

If StateÂ’s administration decided that their school would be better off in the SEC, it appears from afar that at least two of the eight trustees put in place by UNCÂ’s board would have to okay the move. And thatÂ’s if all the other non-UNC-elected trustees favored the move. And thatÂ’s if a vote to switch conferences only requires a 7-6 majority.

Yeah, that's right! If those gooberheads (the ACC "football" schools) could just get their crap together and actually play some half-decent football for a change, this wouldn't even be an issue. It's so ironic to me that this is all being caused by so-called football schools that suck lately, therefore devaluing the ACC brand that they are rumored to want so desperately to escape.

Yep and that's why that conference is about to take a nosedive and we need to jump in. Some believe that NC State is joined at the hip with UNC and that's not even close to being the case. All UNC cares about is Duke and they won't go anywhere without them. NCSU hates UNC and would jump quickly at a chance to join this conference. It's the same with VT, they hate UVA with a passion and feel that they belong in this conference. We would be dumb to not go after those two teams if/when expansion happens again.

I work with some big VT fans, and I don't think VT desires the SEC as much as you'd think.

I work with some big VT fans, and I don't think VT desires the SEC as much as you'd think.

Do you work with mega boosters on their BOT who make revenue decisions? They are the people to ask. Im guessing regular fans enjoy their Hokies making BCS bowls beating up sorry ACC teams. In the SEC sharktank they would be humbled significantly.

Do you work with mega boosters on their BOT who make revenue decisions? They are the people to ask. Im guessing regular fans enjoy their Hokies making BCS bowls beating up sorry ACC teams. In the SEC sharktank they would be humbled significantly.

Every VT board ive been to 90% of their fans want in the SEC.

No, I don't, but they're regulars on a VT board and have seemed to have had a good pulse for their own fan base. Also, if VT wanted in so badly, I'd have thought it would have happened last year. Perhaps the new corporate-run game between the SEC and Big 12 will start new dominoes.

Wonder what they would think when instead of finishing 1st or 2nd in ACC but 3rd to 7th in the SEC.

I don't think they mind competing tbh. I remember one post saying they would rather play UT, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina etc. for home games rather than welcoming Wake Forest, Duke, Clemson and so on. They also brought up getting a new cross division rival going with Texas A&M, i think they want in more than we think.

Last edited:
I think this would make pretty even divisions. Just considering the talent and rivalries each school has it is pretty difficult to make it perfect.

If anything though it divides the current/traditional 5 Star and bottom feeder schools. :hi:

Division 1:
1. Tennessee
2. South Carolina
3. Virginia Tech
4. Kentucky

Division 2:
1. Alabama
2. Auburn
3. NC State
4. Vanderbilt

Division 3:
1. Florida
2. Georgia
3. Missouri
4. Ole Miss

Division 4:
1. LSU
2. Texas A&M
3. Arkansas
4. Miss. State

I still like this:

I just came up with this while half-asleep.

I'll copy the division breakdown that makes the most sense.
8 conference games. 3 within the division, 4 against another division, 1 permanent opponent, and 1 preferred opponent to play against when your permanent opponent's division rotates on.
In parentheses, the permanent opponent is first, and the preferred opponent is second.

SEC North

Tennessee (Alabama/Florida)
Virginia Tech (NCSU/Arkansas)
Kentucky (Missouri/Georgia)
Vanderbilt (Mississippi/S. Carolina)

SEC East

Florida (LSU/Tennessee)
Georgia (Auburn/Kentucky)
South Carolina (TAMU/Vanderbilt)
NC State (Virginia Tech/Miss. State)

SEC Central

Alabama (Tennessee/LSU)
Auburn (Georgia/Missouri)
Mississippi (Vanderbilt/TAMU)
Mississippi State (Arkansas/NCSU)

SEC West

LSU (Florida/Alabama)
Arkansas (Miss. State/Virginia Tech)
Texas A&M (S. Carolina/Mississippi)
Missouri (Kentucky/Auburn)

Play everyone at least 2 teams every 6 years.
Play your preferred opponent 4 times every 6 years (the 2 years when their division rotates on and the 2 years when your permanent opponent's division rotates on).

So, Tennessee would play Kentucky, Vandy, Va Tech, and Bama every year, and would play Florida 4 times every 6 years. We'd play everyone else 2 times every 6 years, which is more often then we're playing most of the West teams now. The lone casualties are only playing Georgia and South Carolina twice each every 6 years.

I would miss the annual games with UGA and USC, but it'd be nice to get a home-and-home with the entire league every six years, keep playing teams like Bama, Vandy, and UK every year, and draw the Gators four times every six years.

If they increase to a 9-game schedule, just make everyone I listed as a "preferred" opponent an additional permanent opponent, and then another team would become the "preferred" opponent. For example, with a 9-game schedule, we could play UF every year and someone else, either UGA or USC, four times every six years instead of just twice.

Conference semifinals wouldn't even be necessary. The "Divisions" would be the pairings of the 4-team pods. So, the other half of our Division would change every two years.

VN Store

Back