Country music thread

Eric Church doesn't hate the players; he just hates the game. The acclaimed singer-songwriter has found himself having to clarify controversial statements made to Rolling Stone -- statements that landed him in hot water with his friend and fellow tourmate Miranda Lambert, and with her husband, Blake Shelton.

"It's become 'American Idol' gone mad," he told the magazine of today's reality competition show craze. "Honestly, if Blake Shelton and Cee Lo Green f---ing turn around in a red chair, you get a deal? That's crazy. I don't know what would make an artist do that. You're not an artist."

Naturally, Blake and his wife, who was a 2003 finalist on the TV show "Nashville Star," were offended. But Eric sent a statement to The Boot tonight, via his publicist, saying he did not mean to slam his fellow country stars.

"The comment I made to Rolling Stone was part of a larger commentary on these types of reality television shows and the perception they create, not the artists involved with the shows themselves," Eric clarifies. "The shows make it appear that artists can shortcut their way to success. There are a lot of artists due to their own perseverance that have gone on to be successful after appearing on these shows, but the real obstacles come after the cameras stop rolling. Every artist has to follow up television appearances with dedication towards their craft, but these shows tend to gloss over that part and make it seem like you can be ordained into stardom. I have a problem with those perceived shortcuts, not just in the music industry. Many people have come to think they can just wake up and have things handed to them.

"I have a lot of respect for what artists like Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, and my friend Miranda Lambert have gone on to accomplish," continues the "Springsteen" singer. "This piece was never intended to tear down any individual, and I apologize to anybody I offended in trying to shed light on this issue. I am grateful for all of the artists and fans that have supported me along my journey and certainly did not mean for my comments to undermine their talent and achievements."

Gotta piss you off when you ride a bus around for 7-8 years, playing for a couple hundred people a night. Especially when you hear the crap they play on the radio. Its a little more country now but I think we're stuck with the pop singers/groups that aren't good enough for mainstream music.

I went to my 1st EC concert about 7 years ago. Luke Bryan was opening for him, and EC is just now making it big. Don't know how much his kiss my ass attitude derailed his career but I love it.

Reactions: 1 person
Hear about Eric Church blasting reality music shows and Blake Shelton?? WOW!

It has become very clear after an interview in Rolling Stone magazine that Eric Church has NO love for music competition reality shows including those that participiate, host or judge them! Eric takes a hit against American Idol and reality show television, saying that the country music industry is filled with talent from reality competitions – saying that trying out for a show like The Voice means you aren’t a true artist. (Keepitincountryblog.com)

When asked what he thought about NBCs 'The Voice' Eric says:

“It’s become American Idol gone mad. Honestly, if Blake Shelton and Cee Lo Green f—ing turn around in a red chair, you get a deal? That’s crazy. I don’t know what would make an artist do that. You’re not an artist.”

Eric had more to say, taking a jab at one of the stars of 'The Voice' and one of the hottest acts in country music right now Blake Shelton...

“If I was concerned about my legacy, there’s no f—ing way I would ever sit there [and be a reality-show judge]. Once your career becomes something other than the music, then that’s what it is. I’ll never make that mistake. I don’t care if I f—ing starve.”

I didn't even read it like he was talking about Blake anyway. I thought he was talking about the people short cutting their way into the industry the whole time.

And the comment about "once your career becomes something other than the music, then that's what it is. I don't care if i f---ing starve" is true. Maybe Blake should get his and his wife's panties out of a wad and open their eyes to what's around them. They're 2 of the most popular/in the spotlight acts in country music today, so they could do a lot for the industry if they'd focus on the music instead of an image, and show it's fine to do that and still be successful. People would follow their lead if they'd just lead.

He's got a point, but Eric Church is part of the neo-outlaws with earrangs movement that really has no room to talk about what is and isn't country, or legit, or fair. He is a gimmick that appeals to teenagers and post-adolescent males with fake chips on their shoulders.

Reactions: 2 people
He's got a point, but Eric Church is part of the neo-outlaws with earrangs movement that really has no room to talk about what is and isn't country, or legit, or fair. He is a gimmick that appeals to teenagers and post-adolescent males with fake chips on their shoulders.

I was going to say talent-less hack calling out other talent-less hacks, but I guess your way works too.

Eric Church can have his opinion. That's fine. Just don't be upset when your radio career goes to the ****ter. He will be fine. He definitely won't ****ing starve. However, his comments were venomous, no matter what he tries to say. It was an all out attack. I respect where he is coming from, but he could have said this in a much more eloquent manner.

I agree with much of what he was saying, but it seems like he attacked anyone involved in reality shows, which is unfair and is a joke.

Last edited:

Who's got earrangs?! Not his fault aldean wears hoop earrangs...i wouldn't group him and EC together anyway.

he can say what is/isnt fair or legit because he worked to get where he is. Also they ask him and he gave his opinion. Just like you did in your post. Which is all incorrect

Anyone heard this new band called "The Farm Inc."? I just heard their debut single "Home Sweet Home" on the radio in the late night rotation and I really liked it. Turns out it's a $0.69 song on iTunes so I bought it. Whoever plays the fiddle in that group is really good.

After doing some research on them Nick Hoffman (the white guy) is the fiddle player and use to be Kenny Chesney's fiddle player. They sound a little like Little Big Town...great voices and hope they are not a one hit wonder!

The Farm Inc. on Yahoo! Music

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzBN05gSi9w[/youtube]

Last edited:
I like his new album as well. This is his next single. Really great song.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfy24NP7k3Q[/youtube]

I've always liked his music, but I can't stop listening to it right now. I like all forms of country, but I really appreciate what he and Alan Jackson have brought to the genre. Those two are living legends.

George is obviously a hit machine, but the fact that he writes none of songs bothers me.

Although I'm currently in an Aldean phase, he too is not a writer.

I have the most respect for the folks that write and record their stuff.

A buddy of mine that is a DJ in Terre Haute just interviewed new artist Rachel Holder on air and sent me a text saying how smoking she is..lol...Haven't heard her music but I'm a fan!

559477_993785259534_32302667_37949511_579303941_n.jpg

A buddy of mine that is a DJ in Terre Haute just interviewed new artist Rachel Holder on air and sent me a text saying how smoking she is..lol...Haven't heard her music but I'm a fan!

559477_993785259534_32302667_37949511_579303941_n.jpg
Your buddy must have had a good time haha! That's a cool profession too btw

Counting down the days until July 19th when she's putting on a free show in my area...That's a pic I have to get with her, if they wife doesn't kill me..lol

The guys at work have country radio on all day, it's a constant reminder to me of how this genre has gone to dog crap in the last 10-15 years.

VN Store

Back