Traffic jam on Everest

CAN do it... As in "it's within the realm of possibility for them if they so desire"... Not HAS done it... Pays yer money... Do some training and it can happen for you. 73 yo Japanese grannies have done it.... Blind people have done it... If YOU wanted to do it I feel positive you could make it happen.

Yes, I guess it is possible. Might take $10,000s and multiple attempts, but possible.

Until recently, the statistics were nearly one in four climbers dies attempting to reach the summit. Advancements in technology and experience have led to a better survival rate of climbers. Currently about 1,000 climbers a year attempt to reach the summit, and on average 15-20 perish. Expeditions are the primary source of income for Nepal, and licenses to ascend start at around $25,000. If you have lesser experience and want to ascend with an experienced group, several companies will lead you to the top with a team of sherpas for prices starting around $40,000 per person.

So basically like running a marathon.

In 99, Dave Hahn recovered the body of george mallory who vanished on the mountain in 1924. The body was still well preserved

I'd rather hike Mt. Everest than start Ranger School over; however, I would never opt to hike Mt. Everest for ****s and giggles.

I'm fascinated with alpine climbing and mountaineering, but I would draw the line when it comes at such a cost

I would attempt it in a heartbeat but only if i had time to devote at least 5 years to training and gaining experience.

Alright already!!! I recant!! It's unbelievably difficult to climb Everest and only superhuman (rich) folks are able to do it!

Marathons are still a piece of cake though, provided you aren't worried about your time... Running sub 3 hour marathons is an entirely different discussion but actually finishing a marathon (even if it takes seven hours...)? No problemo.

I would attempt it in a heartbeat but only if i had time to devote at least 5 years to training and gaining experience.

I don't know. Camping on a ledge in the bitter cold and barely being able to breathe doesn't have much appeal to me. There's only so much training you can do and it doesn't include climbing at 25,000 feet.

Alright already!!! I recant!! It's unbelievably difficult to climb Everest and only superhuman (rich) folks are able to do it!

Marathons are still a piece of cake though, provided you aren't worried about your time... Running sub 3 hour marathons is an entirely different discussion but actually finishing a marathon (even if it takes seven hours...)? No problemo.

Dude just stop. Once you hike Everest or run a marathon then talk your shiz.

I present you all, most difficult event in the world:

RAAM

RAAM is a race! But unlike the three great Europeon Grand Tours (Tour de France, Vuelta a Espana and Giro de Italia), RAAM is not a stage race. RAAM is one continual stage, similar to a time trial. Once the clock starts it does not stop until the finish line. RAAM is about 30% longer than the Tour de France. Moreover, racers must complete the distance in roughly half the time allowed for the Tour.
More importantly, RAAM is not limited to professional cyclists. RAAM is open to professional and amateur athletes alike. While solo racers must qualify to compete, anyone may organize a team and race.

Racers must traverse 3000 miles across 12 states and climb over 170,000 vertical feet.

Team racers have a maximum of nine days and most finish in about seven and a half days. Teams will ride 350-500 miles a day, racing non-stop. Solo racers have a maximum of 12 days to complete the race, with the fastest finishing in just over eight days. Solo racers will ride 250-350 miles a day, balancing speed and the need for sleep.

I present you all, most difficult event in the world:

RAAM

Not really an apples to apples comparison.

But you are correct that the participants who do that race solo are not normal humans. I saw a documentary which showed the leader guy ride several hundred (500?) miles before he got any sleep. Crazy.

I read Into Thin Air; great book. Personally, I wouldn't try to climb Everest if they paid me the fee it costs to do it.

VN Store

Back