2013 Silly Season

jhen713

Hanging with Smokey
From an article on Foxsports.

9. Speaking of silly season

Several drivers names have cropped up in the rumor mill, including Ryan Newman, Joey Logano and Jeff Burton. Sources say Newman and Logano have been told they can test the market. Burton, however, still has another year on his contract, as does sponsor Caterpillar.

Please don't tell me that Stewart is gonna not resign Newman and keep Patrick and run her full time next year. I would rather see Vickers, Smith, or Ragan than Patrick.

I think Stewart's plan was to try and run Patrick full time in 2013 whether he has Newman or not. I'd like to see Vickers get back in a decent ride. He's shown in his couple starts with MWR that he still knows how to wheel a race car. Ragan had his shot and then some when Roush gave him five years to produce and he didn't.

Biggest free agent is still Kurt Busch. That being said I really hope Regan Smith can finally get a decent ride some where. I believe he has the talent but he has done everything his current equipment allows him to do. That being said, his Furniture Row team is thinking about expanding to two cars and has talked to Kurt about the second team. They are also rumored to be one of the targets for Dodge.

I was telling someone this past week that I feel the Newman/SHR relationship will end after this season. I don't believe Danica will be in that second car, however.

Biggest free agent is still Kurt Busch. That being said I really hope Regan Smith can finally get a decent ride some where. I believe he has the talent but he has done everything his current equipment allows him to do. That being said, his Furniture Row team is thinking about expanding to two cars and has talked to Kurt about the second team. They are also rumored to be one of the targets for Dodge.

I don't see Kurt being in the market for many competitive rides. His best chance may be to take over the Home Depot ride, but that is doubtful, too.

I still would like to see the Busch brothers open a team and drive for Dodge. Somehow I find myself kinda rooting for Kurt now, maybe it is the underdog role. That would be the best move for Dodge if they want any chance at saying relevant in Cup. I agree, if Regan Smith got a shot with a bigger team he would be very competitive, he is an underappreciated driver.

I still would like to see the Busch brothers open a team and drive for Dodge. Somehow I find myself kinda rooting for Kurt now, maybe it is the underdog role. That would be the best move for Dodge if they want any chance at saying relevant in Cup. I agree, if Regan Smith got a shot with a bigger team he would be very competitive, he is an underappreciated driver.

I wouldn't say I have been pulling for him but I have been hoping he would run well. Not after the brain fart he had Saturday night though. The guy is a freaking mental case.

I was telling someone this past week that I feel the Newman/SHR relationship will end after this season. I don't believe Danica will be in that second car, however.

Apparently Stewart said he fully intends to field three cars next year. Danica will be in there somewhere.

If the Busch brothers started their own Cup team it would be the best thing to happen to NASCAR in a decade.

Reactions: 1 person
I wouldn't go that far, but it would def stir up some noise and grab peoples attention. Not sure it would be a good move for Kyle though. It will take a while to get his equipment as good as it is at JGR.

I wouldn't go that far, but it would def stir up some noise and grab peoples attention. Not sure it would be a good move for Kyle though. It will take a while to get his equipment as good as it is at JGR.

Seemed to workout ok for Stewart.......granted his team is basically a Hendrick franchise. But i agree, especially if they switch to Dodge (which I am in favor of). There are a lot of obstacles to overcome. For one, who is going to build there engines once Penske moves on? Wonder if they can get ol’ Ernie Elliott to build engines for Dodge again.

Depending on where he goes for motors next year, Penske may keep the engine shop open and continue to make Dodge engines.

Apparently Stewart said he fully intends to field three cars next year. Danica will be in there somewhere.

Oh, I agree with that. I was just saying that Tony won't go into 2013 with Danica as the second rated driver behind him. He'll have to get a competitive and experienced driver for that void.

Andretti to NASCAR...with Dodge? UPDATE: Multiple sources have told FOXSports.com that one of the latest candidates for Dodge Motorsports could be Michael Andretti, owner of Andretti Autosport. With Roger Penske's departure from Dodge at the end of the 2012 season, the door is open for new organizations to enter the fold. In addition to Andretti, Richard Petty Motorsports and Furniture Row Racing are the top contenders to field Dodges in 2013. An announcement regarding Dodge's lineup, as well as its engine building plans, could come as early as the weekend of the NASCAR races at Michigan, June 15-17. Andretti currently fields three full-time teams in the IndyCar Series with drivers Marco Andretti, Ryan Hunter-Reay and James Hinchcliffe. It is unlikely that Andretti would use open-wheel talent for a NASCAR venture. Two names mentioned as possibilities to drive for the team are Ryan Newman and Kurt Busch, both of whom have established relationships with Dodge.(FoxSports)(5-18-2012)
UPDATE: No one with Andretti nor Dodge would confirm the talks but neither would deny the possibility when contacted in the past several weeks as rumors spread through the NASCAR community of Andretti's interest. "Andretti Autosport is a business designed to always be open to new opportunities as a race team and as a sports marketing company," said Jade Gurss, director of corporate communications for Andretti Autosport. A Dodge spokesman said the manufacturer was still in the process of evaluating opportunities for next season and could not comment.(Sporting News)(5-18-2012)]

If the Busch brothers started their own Cup team it would be the best thing to happen to NASCAR in a decade.

Someone mentioned the Busch brothers driving Dodges. Hmmm? I might think it might be Toyota's. I think Kyle might prefer Toyota rather than Dodge, but that's just my thoughts. Would Kurt drive other than a Chevy or Dodge?:question::unsure:

New rules will prevent KBM from moving to Cup as long as Kyle is racing for JGR.

Someone mentioned the Busch brothers driving Dodges. Hmmm? I might think it might be Toyota's. I think Kyle might prefer Toyota rather than Dodge, but that's just my thoughts. Would Kurt drive other than a Chevy or Dodge?:question::unsure:

He drove a Ford early on too. I think he would drive anything at this point.

VN Store

Back