2012 commitment list

Thanks for keeping this updated lylsmorr.

A little blurb in the Commercial Appeal on Andy Cox regarding his decommitment from Ark.

Andy Cox is going opposite field.

The St. Benedict baseball standout, who verbally committed to Arkansas over the summer, said last week he would attend the University of Tennessee and play for the Vols, starting in the spring of 2013. Verbal commitments are non-binding, but Cox is expected to make it official Wednesday, the first day of the early signing period.

"I like Tennessee," he said. "It's in-state and I like the coaches that have come in. I think they can get (Tennessee) to the College World Series, and that's my dream."

The 6-1, 160-pound senior left-hander went 4-2 with a 2.43 earned-run average for St. Benedict this past season. He pitched 46 innings, walking 20 and striking out 44.

Perfect game also lists a commitment from Vance Vizcaino, a SS from Wake Forest, NC, who played in Area Code Games and East Coast Pro Showcase.

Here's his profile.

By the way, the number of known commitments already exceeds the number of seniors and juniors. Looks like there will be considerable player turnover next year.

A little blurb in the Commercial Appeal on Andy Cox regarding his decommitment from Ark.

Andy Cox is going opposite field.

The St. Benedict baseball standout, who verbally committed to Arkansas over the summer, said last week he would attend the University of Tennessee and play for the Vols, starting in the spring of 2013. Verbal commitments are non-binding, but Cox is expected to make it official Wednesday, the first day of the early signing period.

"I like Tennessee," he said. "It's in-state and I like the coaches that have come in. I think they can get (Tennessee) to the College World Series, and that's my dream."

The 6-1, 160-pound senior left-hander went 4-2 with a 2.43 earned-run average for St. Benedict this past season. He pitched 46 innings, walking 20 and striking out 44.

He has signed per a mutual acquaintance that was at the signing.

Supposedly, Arkansas could not come through with the same amount of scholarship money they promised back in the summer and Serrano and crew and stayed in contact. The better option for him became UT, and now he is a Vol.

He has signed per a mutual acquaintance that was at the signing.

Supposedly, Arkansas could not come through with the same amount of scholarship money they promised back in the summer and Serrano and crew and stayed in contact. The better option for him became UT, and now he is a Vol.

Thanks for the info.:hi:

Does anyone have any info on how these guys are doing this year?

David Houser news...

Taking an early look at the catchers in the 2012 MLB Draft (Part 3)

I read a mock draft that had Houser going as the 35th pick to the Mets

35th Overall: New York Mets (Compensation for Jose Reyes)

Having their homegrown star shortstop sign with the division rival Miami Marlins stings even more for the Mets because the Marlins draft slot (9th) was too high for them to relinquish their pick. They do get this pick though, and theyÂ’ll do their best to take advantage. One position the Mets have a need at is catcher, where Josh Thole is questionable to begin with and the Mets have little depth behind him. But considering theyÂ’re rebuilding, it makes more sense for the Mets to stick with Thole for the time being and go with a high school catcher with upside. I think a good fit is AC Flora High School catcher David Houser.

The Mets have seen their crosstown rival New York Yankees develop Jorge Posada, never an elite catcher but a valuable commodity thanks to his switch-hitting ability with power. They also have witnessed the Red Sox with a similar player in Jason Varitek. I think the Mets are just a little jealous at this point after a history of futility at the catcher position after Mike Piazza moved to first base. David Houser fits the profile. HeÂ’s 6Â’1″, 215, just short of PosadaÂ’s 6Â’2″, 215 frame. But what distinguishes Houser is that heÂ’s a rare switch-hitting catcher prospect coming out of high school and he has the raw power from both sides of the plate to be a 15-20-homer threat. Houser adds a dimension to PosadaÂ’s game with his outstanding bat speed and great ability to make contact, he could be a .300 hitter who limits strikeouts. Defensively, thereÂ’s almost no doubt that Houser will be better than Posada. He is graceful behind the plate, excelling at receiving, blocking balls in the dirt, and throwing baserunners out with an above-average arm. His transfers have been somewhat inconsistent and his accuracy with his throws has been a little iffy, but he has flashed superlatively fast glove to hand transfers and once everything is smoothed out, throwing out 30% or more of opposing basestealers shouldnÂ’t be a problem. David Houser has the type of all-around upside that the Mets need as they rebuild, and he could be a very good major league catcher someday.

The Pick: David Houser, C, AC Flora High School, SC

Very bad news for the Vols. No chance he steps on campus if he is picked there.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

There were some folks on a Clemson board saying that Perfect Game has this kid as the #1 catcher, I couldn't find it. Still, that's a pretty glowing review in my previous post.

As of now what's our class ranked?

I don't recall rankings being reported until the smoke settles from the draft. That's why Candy always has such great rated classes because they don't lose guys to the draft like most.

Last edited:

Very impressive stats. Huge strike thrower. A hit per inning isn't a good sign but other than that a very good stat line.

Just talked to a friend of mine that was at chatt state for the TN juco tourney this morning and he stated that England Smith wasn't very impressive today. From his report I wouldn't expect the LHP from Walters State to be much of a contributor next year.

Christin Stewart news...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4F_vinkoXY[/youtube]

Gwinnett Prep Sports | "HIGH SCHOOL HARDBALL: The (very) premature county superlatives" by High School Hardball

Stewart's numbers aren't quite as insane as they were last year, when he set a new Georgia state record with 26 home runs and a new Gwinnett record with 70 RBIs. Part of that can be explained by the new composite bats that are less spring-like than the old metal bats, as well as the fact that several of his Stars teammates have also had a big year driving in runs, leaving fewer RBI opportunities for him. But it probably has to do mainly with the 25 walks he's drawn in 84 plate appearances this season, meaning opposing teams have figured out that pitching to him is not such a good idea. Still, Stewart is putting up really good numbers, including leading the county with eight home runs as of last week, plus standing among the county's top 10 in RBIs (with 20) and boasting a ridiculous 1.574 OPS.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back