How can Tenessee hs improve programs????

The average state in America is 12.6% African American

Tennessee is 16.7% and their football talent is slightly above average when you look at all states

when you look at states that produce higher rates of football players than their population should allow you will see far higher concentrations of African Americans

Mississippi - 37%
Alabama - 26.2%
Louisiana - 32%
South Carolina - 27.9%
Georgia - 30.5%

it is not rocket science

Demographics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In other words - invent a time machine and get more black people to settle in Tennessee either by a) owning more slaves like several of those states listed had plenty of... Or b) somehow steal all Georgia's, Alabama's, and Mississippi's slaves and offering their families freedom and land here in Tennessee. Because that's pretty much the main reason those states have so many black people today compared to other states.

Reactions: 1 person
The state's talent is underrated. The population argument is a loser. If that was the case please explain why our neighboring states of Alabama and Mississippi produce more top talent every year.

Folks - it involves the emphasis and orientation of the kids to the sport at an earlier an age. The major states start younger with organized leagues throughout their states - not just in a couple of cities/areas. Most all of them have state sanctioned middle school programs in every school that can field a team. The S&C programs start quicker and by the time they are in HS they are well on their way to meeting their full potential.
Vols4us I agree. Mississippi & Alabama have a higher population of blacks than Tennessee & all three are small states population wise,with Mississippi having the highest population of blacks of any state in the nation. Florida,California,& Texas are big states with high populations & alot of blacks!!!!! The majority of blacks that are in america live in the south & thats why the SEC is so great & have been the last 6 national champs!!!!! This is why Memphis & west Tn produces more talent than the rest of the state.

The state's talent is underrated. The population argument is a loser. If that was the case please explain why our neighboring states of Alabama and Mississippi produce more top talent every year.

Folks - it involves the emphasis and orientation of the kids to the sport at an earlier an age. The major states start younger with organized leagues throughout their states - not just in a couple of cities/areas. Most all of them have state sanctioned middle school programs in every school that can field a team. The S&C programs start quicker and by the time they are in HS they are well on their way to meeting their full potential.
Vols4us I agree. Mississippi & Alabama have a higher population of blacks than Tennessee & all three are small states population wise,with Mississippi having the highest population of blacks of any state in the nation. Florida,California,& Texas are big states with high populations & alot of blacks!!!!! The majority of blacks that are in america live in the south & thats why the SEC is so great & have been the last 6 national champs!!!!! This is why Memphis & west Tn produces more talent than the rest of the state.

There's no good ole boy system when it comes to football. If you're upset because you were always picked last in dodgeball, and never got to start on the football team, it's probably because you sucked.

This is a lie. My high school team lost a state championship because of the coach playing two kids that were not good enough to play. One was his nephew, and the other's mother all but black mailed coaches into playing her boy.

This is a lie. My high school team lost a state championship because of the coach playing two kids that were not good enough to play. One was his nephew, and the other's mother all but black mailed coaches into playing her boy.

Lol clearly those kids and your coach were terrible, how else would they have made the state championship game.........worst example ever.

Tssaa is a big part of the problem. Stupid restrictions that won't allow coaches to work little Johnny too hard. We need better coaches but they have no incentive to come here. Places like D1 will help for the kids that are dedicated and can afford it.

A big part of the problem is that TN high school coaches run offenses like the Wing T that do not do much to develop and prepare good QBs and WRs for college.

Lol clearly those kids and your coach were terrible, how else would they have made the state championship game.........worst example ever.

Hmm. Two teams in our division went undefeated until the last game of the regular season. We beat three teams ranked in the top ten in the state, and lost in the final four by a touchdown to the team that won the state title by 20. And we won all of our games by 14 or more points.
7 of the 12 seniors went on to play college ball in some fashion. Yep, we were a bad team, all the teams we played were bad, and this is a horrible example.

You clearly don't understand the system because you've either never been in it or were too bad of a player to ever see the field and understand who was or wasn't good enough to play. Go cry in the corner until you learn that the "good ole boy system" is what runs the world. Till then say hello to the block list.

:cray:

Hmm. Two teams in our division went undefeated until the last game of the regular season. We beat three teams ranked in the top ten in the state, and lost in the final four by a touchdown to the team that won the state title by 20. And we won all of our games by 14 or more points.
7 of the 12 seniors went on to play college ball in some fashion. Yep, we were a bad team, all the teams we played were bad, and this is a horrible example.

You clearly don't understand the system because you've either never been in it or were too bad of a player to ever see the field and understand who was or wasn't good enough to play. Go cry in the corner until you learn that the "good ole boy system" is what runs the world. Till then say hello to the block list.

:cray:

I was a four year stater, but thanks for asking. I don't understand what your problem is with a coach who took his team to the state championship game. Clearly the two kids who he was playin, that you claim didn't deserve to be on the field, weren't that bad. Otherwise they would have never made it that far.

There's nothing wrong with Tennessee high school athletes. You can't just snap your fingers and turn non-D1 talent into D1 talent. The only way the talent level will ever get to the level some fools on here think it should be is if A. Our population doubles in the next few years...and that ain't happening. Or B. We start offering free money to every African American family that moves into the state.

The thing that sucks the most is our homegrown talent pool isn't even that bad. It's bad compared to some of the schools we're competing against, but that's beyond our control. I believe that on average, Tennessee is one of the top 15 or 20 states in producing D1 talent. But that's still not the level of our neighbors to the south. And of the talent we do produce, the vast majority of it comes from either west or middle Tennessee, which is another point that has already been discussed.

IDK what the ultimate answer to this question is, but there is one thing I will comment on. alot of ppl on here are saying all the dominate players come from West tn and West tn is better than East Tn is football. I find this hilarious since East Tn DOMINATES the State title games every year(I.E. Maryville, Aloca, Webb, And now CAK). So anyone that wants to argue this point, please be my guest.:loco:

Better coaching? Anyone with common sense that watched the championship game this past season saw that Maryville was extremely out talented but won due to coaching.

Middle Tn and west tn have way more quality teams as well... East Tn has more top teams with Maryville, Alcoa, and south Pitt.

IDK what the ultimate answer to this question is, but there is one thing I will comment on. alot of ppl on here are saying all the dominate players come from West tn and West tn is better than East Tn is football. I find this hilarious since East Tn DOMINATES the State title games every year(I.E. Maryville, Aloca, Webb, And now CAK). So anyone that wants to argue this point, please be my guest.:loco:

On average, the best individual PLAYERS come from west/middle. This is simply a fact, and has been for years.

Btw, East TN did not dominate the state title games this year. Of the 8 state champions: 3 were from east TN(Maryville, Greeneville, CAK), 3 were from middle TN(Ensworth, Wayne County, FCS), and 2 were from west TN(Henry County, St. George). Looks pretty even to me.

There's no good ole boy system when it comes to football. If you're upset because you were always picked last in dodgeball, and never got to start on the football team, it's probably because you sucked.

My local high school football program is ran by a good ole boy's system.

Sorry late to the party but excellent point it MUST improve at the grassroots level for it to improve at HS. You don't all of sudden become good in HS. IMO two ways to get better good coaching and playing "better than you" competition. Alot of coaches at the grassroots level in tN are daddies and are there for "junior" only and will not jeopardize there W/L record by scheduling a game against a tough opponent... At the grassroot level football is FAR more serious in FL & GA than TN. Population helps of course but you MUST play top competition in order to improve..

Go back to the good ole days and the whole town shuts down and goes to the ball game.It makes the programs better it also makes the kids get better.Not enough statewide support for their teams.

Go back to the good ole days and the whole town shuts down and goes to the ball game.It makes the programs better it also makes the kids get better.Not enough statewide support for their teams.

I agree it's too much other stuff going on nowadays especially for this generation of kids. They would rather be doing something else or just sitting on their asses playing football on PS3. And parents show no school pride if they are or are not alum of the school

Somehow some way winning and competition is becoming a bad thing in public schools. My kids dont even have a traditional field day anymore. EVERYONE gets a ribbon for participation. Its like Upward, nobody is keeping the score and our kids are doing what most kids do best, when left to their own devices, the fun/easy thing.

Yeah, Im the guy yelling for, not at, my kid at the ballfield/court. You might know me.

TSSAA restrictions are on par with most other states, and less restrictive in a lot of cases.

Actually it's on par with the ****tier states....not with Texas, Cali, Georgia, Florida, PA, or Ohio.

I just got done reading the restrictions on Football, and I almost puked at the thought that the weight lifting program could only be generic and couldn't focus on the things that Football needs...

Last edited:

WOW. Finally someone on this site hits a nail on the head. every word absolutely true

when i was in school in mid to late 80,s i played a few games of football enough to have sone small schools looking hard at me but we had less than 35 players and most of them sucked so i quit to focas on basketball.and i got a bunch of my friends to play a game against the school football team and we won by 30.i ran for 348 yards and on defense i had 16 tackles 4 sacks.my point is if you could get all the good athletes to play football the talent poole would probally triple atleast.i was built to play football but i dreamed basketball and our basketball team of 14 players only myself and 4 others would have been on the team if some others would have wanted to play.and i know it has got to be similiar in all other rural areas in yje state.and also like other posters said spend some money on coaches instead of having the drivers ed teacher being the head coach and the civics teacher who never played football as the only assistant.there were several players in my class who was good enough to play high d1

I've spent some time around some of the high school programs in the South Bay area of Los Angeles ( El Segundo, Mira Costa, Gardena, Hawthorne, Long Beach Poly, San Pedro, Narbonne, & others) over 10 years after having children go through private high school in middle TN playing sports. Some of you hit on it partly as it is a lot about population, but again how does Louisiana, Mississippi, and Bama produce players if that was it? That's not the whole story obviously. One thing a previous poster wrote rang true for me and it was about the middle school feeder programs. The more successful SoCal sports programs really took their lower school feeder programs very seriously. But one of the biggest things I noticed about SoCal coaches vs those of TN concerned just pure old solid professionalism. Most of the guys I knew or hung around that coached high school football in SoCal reminded me a lot of Carlton Flatt in the way they prepared their teams. Most of those guys would be solid college coaches IMO. Just a whole lot of professionalism. TN has a few good coaches and staffs these days, but if the state had a bunch of very good coaches & staffs competing, then you'd see the overall level of the state improve IMO. Lots of teachers are coaching, but few coaches are teaching inm TN. Most often in TN high schools the coaches are reliant on the ability of their few kids being better athletes than what is on the other side of the field. In SoCal a lot of those coaches can take yours and beat his or keep his and beats yours unless you're up to snuff ... just sayin'

Mississippi and Alabama don't put out much talent...not saying that they don't put out more than Tennessee but overall they're not one of the top states that produces

But I agree with you to a certain extent....I think it's a mixture of population and emphasis on football

Examples being Tennessee and New York...emphasis is there with Tennessee but not the population...population is there with New York but not the emphasis

Totally wrong. Alabama and Mississippi are right there in the top 6 behind Florida, Georgia, Texas, and California.

VN Store

Back