Formula 1 Thread

tidwell

We might as well have one big thread for it, considering the massive amount of people here that follow it.

After watching a practice session and qualifying for this weekend's Malaysian Grand Prix, I'm pretty much hooked.

That knockout qualifying they used was pretty cool. In the last second of the third session, Raikkonen crossed the line to take the pole, followed by Alonso who bumped him down, who was followed by Massa who knocked HIM off the pole. I've never been so excited during a qualifying session. :lol:

After approximately three hours of watching practice and qualifying, I kinda get the impression that Ferrari and McLaren are the top two teams, eh?

Lineup for the race: The Official Formula 1 Website

It's on live tonight/Sunday morning at 2:30AM EST, but replays again Sunday afternoon at 3:30PM EST, like TennesseeFan07 said.

Qualifying re-airs just before the race tonight/tomorrow morning at 1AM EST.

I think they tried it at Mexico City this year for the Busch race.....most seemed to like it

Yeah, they tried it there this year and I think they did it at Mexico and Watkins Glen last year. It's much more entertaining than watching 43+ cars individually take 2-3 minutes to drive at a time.

Now did NASCAR do the same thing? I didn't really pay attention to the Busch qualifying at Mexico or Watkins Glen, but I got the impression that they just put a group of cars out there at one time to turn their qualifying laps.

F1's knockout qualifying isn't the same thing as that at all.

in a word...yes.
Neither Renault car made it to the third session of qualifying and they were making a big deal out of it... Did Alonso's departure from that team make that big of a difference? They also said the tire was giving them fits since they apparently primarily used Michelin tires in previous years instead of the Bridgestones that all teams must use this season...

honestly, i haven't been following this year that closely. i need to get into it more. depending on what family plans are for tommorow, i may still be awake to watch at least the begining tonight.

Gotcha. I'm not even gonna try and stay awake and watch it all tonight. I'll just catch the replay tomorrow afternoon. So, everyone be sure to say you're posting a spoiler before you post it! :)

tid, be sure to watch the pre-race show. it will answer a lot of the questions you had yesterday.

also, anytime you can watch the driver interviews after qualifying or the race, do it. most guys have good enough English it's not too much of a hassle.

I made it through about half of the pre-race show last night but I couldn't stay awake anymore. I caught Massa, Alonso, and Raikkonen's post qualifying interview just before the pre-race, too. I was half alseep by that time so I'll watch the whole pre-race again this afternoon. Thanks for the heads up. :rock2:

Good stuff. Alonso smoked'em.

That Hamilton guy is impressive. I would've liked to have heard Massa's radio after he made the same mistake twice against Hamilton. :lol:

Can't wait for Bahrain next weekend.

watching these two Ferrari drivers makes me long for the days of Schumi and Ruebens.

I thought it was pretty interesting how Alonso said something along the lines of, "I can see why Kimi couldn't beat me last year" after he tested a McLaren during the Winter (assuming Kimi drove for McLaren last season?)... then he goes out today and beats him. :)

But, didn't look like Kimi had much trouble dusting the field in Australia. Should be a fun season with Ferrari vs. McLaren.

well, my first beef with the whole race was the starting grid. not sure why the pole sitter had the outside lane into the first turn. that's just stupid.

second, there is no excuse for the overtaking move(s) Massa made. you're a vet and your up against a rookie with a heavy fuel load. the guy got a great start i have to give him that, but again, why did the guy starting 4th have the inside line into 1?

Is it set in stone in F1 that the pole, third, fifth and so on have to start to the left or something? I know in NASCAR the pole sitter gets his choice of lane at every track.

They alluded to the fact that Massa has a history of boneheaded moves like that. Moreso when he was younger, I believe they said. To do the same thing twice in the same corner no less... ouch.

i'm not sure what the exact rule is, but it doesn't make much sense to me. the whole point of being on the pole is to have the inside lane going into the first turn.

I guess you could say it's kind of a wash considering the quick left following the right hander? I guess not really though once the guy already has position and is ahead by just enough after the first turn.

yeah, but didn't it go right, left, and then right? the thought about being in position going into the left did cross my mind, but i would rather have the inside for two of the first three turns than one of them.

ans the straight from the start to turn 1 is long enough to get a run, no matter where you start.

VN Store

Back