What Buck Fitzgerald said

Then he doesn't understand the point anyway.

It's difficult for upperclassmen to adapt to a new coach, and some had 3 coaches. People shouldnt be shocked that the team quit on occasion and that there was next to zero field leadership. If DD's upperclassmen quit, then he will be gone.
the point is there is always an excuse.

No. The point is that now DD has his recruiting class as jrs.

Only one incapable of understanding how a football team works would devalue a coach having his classes as upperclassmen, rather than another coaches recruits.

Factually CDD's 1st real recruiting class are only Sophs.

CDD had less than 2 weeks to try and hold together laMe kiffScums recruiting class which he did pretty well and he added a few of his own recruits to laMes class with good players like Stone and Rogers.

Several recruits that laMe brought in are already gone or were busts so only a few added much to our current Junior roster but we did get some depth at some positions our of it.

The season after this will factually be when the 1st real CDD recruiting class will be Juniors but you make alot of valid points as you normally do.

VFL...GBO!!!

I'm sick of excuses. It all comes down to the AD. If he has any doubt in his mind that Dooley can't take UT to where it deserves to be, competing for SEC championships... fire him, the sooner the better. I like Dooley, and hope he is the one, but I'm just sick of losing.

This is a results driven business. Dooley hasn't been very successful

Justin, I don't argue that. What I am trying to say though is that evidently he was doing something right at LT for 3 years because he wasn't on the hot seat there. MH brought him in here 2 weeks before signing day having to sign basically an entire coaching staff. I don't think even MH, as clueless as I think he is, thought that there would be any improvement before year 3. I think that year 1 was an abberation and surprised most of us but gave many a false hope that hey, things aren't that bad, we will be back next year. When that didn't happen the coach was to blame. The mistake CDD made was doing as well as he did in year 1. Had that really sucked, then the hopes would have been moved to year 3 and not falsely placed on year 2.

I would not be surprised to see and 8 - 5 or 9 - 4 season this year. I am excited that we "should" do better, but I won't be surprised. I have followed UT football closely since 1977. I lived through Majors' disappointments one after another. To me, CPF's 90's were a blip on an otherwise mediocre to decent football team history. I love the Vols and want them to win everygame. I want to think we have the opportunity to win the SEC every year. But in 35 years, those hopes have been RARELY fulfilled. I think many on here remember the times that we played as if we could be ANY team on the planet including the NFL and I think many remember the teams that hit the field with Majors and CPF that acted like either they didn't want to be there or just didn't know which end of the football to grab. Many times those were the same teams in the same season. A fine example of that were years 95 - 97. I NEVER bet on the Vols having learned early on that it is never safe. However, a friend that I worked with went to Vandy. He and I bet 3 years in a row on the UT Vandy game. We bet the line. I LOST all three bets with Peyton at the helm. Have we been good, at times yes, have we been great, a couple of times, but mostly we have been just decent. I want to give this guy a chance to bring us to good bordering on great every year. We can't do that by bashing him everytime his breathe smells bad or he says something that we don't happen to like. If we get through this year and he is here the next year and he just isn't cutting it, then let's move on. But to dismiss him outright as a failure before he has been given a chance is WRONG.

Justin, I don't argue that. What I am trying to say though is that evidently he was doing something right at LT for 3 years because he wasn't on the hot seat there. MH brought him in here 2 weeks before signing day having to sign basically an entire coaching staff. I don't think even MH, as clueless as I think he is, thought that there would be any improvement before year 3. I think that year 1 was an abberation and surprised most of us but gave many a false hope that hey, things aren't that bad, we will be back next year. When that didn't happen the coach was to blame. The mistake CDD made was doing as well as he did in year 1. Had that really sucked, then the hopes would have been moved to year 3 and not falsely placed on year 2.

I would not be surprised to see and 8 - 5 or 9 - 4 season this year. I am excited that we "should" do better, but I won't be surprised. I have followed UT football closely since 1977. I lived through Majors' disappointments one after another. To me, CPF's 90's were a blip on an otherwise mediocre to decent football team history. I love the Vols and want them to win everygame. I want to think we have the opportunity to win the SEC every year. But in 35 years, those hopes have been RARELY fulfilled. I think many on here remember the times that we played as if we could be ANY team on the planet including the NFL and I think many remember the teams that hit the field with Majors and CPF that acted like either they didn't want to be there or just didn't know which end of the football to grab. Many times those were the same teams in the same season. A fine example of that were years 95 - 97. I NEVER bet on the Vols having learned early on that it is never safe. However, a friend that I worked with went to Vandy. He and I bet 3 years in a row on the UT Vandy game. We bet the line. I LOST all three bets with Peyton at the helm. Have we been good, at times yes, have we been great, a couple of times, but mostly we have been just decent. I want to give this guy a chance to bring us to good bordering on great every year. We can't do that by bashing him everytime his breathe smells bad or he says something that we don't happen to like. If we get through this year and he is here the next year and he just isn't cutting it, then let's move on. But to dismiss him outright as a failure before he has been given a chance is WRONG.

Howdy TNGlen...JG is not stupid (not saying u said he was) but seems to lack the concept of rebuilding or even building from scratch. It is a results driven business, like any other, but that attitude can be had when the business is on sound feet when coming in.

As many know this hard ass mentality doesn't work when starting from the ground up. Mistakes will be made and that's natural. Most important thing is learning from those mistakes taking the good things learned from them and dropping the bad parts. This is what I see CDD doing and why I'm being patient through this all. We will be better for it and on more solid ground at the end. GBO!!!

If UAB had the second worst kicker in the country instead of the worst kicker in the country in 2010, Tennessee doesn't go bowling. His first year wasn't very successful. One of the biggest coaching blunders in Tennessee history cost Dooley his "marquee" win for 2010. He beat 6 mediocre to bad teams. That should be expected regardless of the roster situation.

Tennessee's football history isn't mediocre to decent. That's the worst insult one can make towards Tennessee football.

Howdy TNGlen...JG is not stupid (not saying u said he was) but seems to lack the concept of rebuilding or even building from scratch. It is a results driven business, like any other, but that attitude can be had when the business is on sound feet when coming in.

As many know this hard ass mentality doesn't work when starting from the ground up. Mistakes will be made and that's natural. Most important thing is learning from those mistakes taking the good things learned from them and dropping the bad parts. This is what I see CDD doing and why I'm being patient through this all. We will be better for it and on more solid ground at the end. GBO!!!

Rebuilding is fine. You usually show improvement when you're rebuilding though.

If UAB had the second worst kicker in the country instead of the worst kicker in the country in 2010, Tennessee doesn't go bowling. His first year wasn't very successful. One of the biggest coaching blunders in Tennessee history cost Dooley his "marquee" win for 2010. He beat 6 mediocre to bad teams. That should be expected regardless of the roster situation.

Tennessee's football history isn't mediocre to decent. That's the worst insult one can make towards Tennessee football.

Tennessee has a long history of pride and doing it right. We have a long history of the NCAA leaving us alone (right up until that train wreck that was Spliffin). Tennessee has a recent history (i.e. from Majors forward) of being mediocre to decent. That is not an insult, it is just true. I don't have time to run the stats right now, but our win loss record against good to awesome teams is not so good, against teams we should have beaten good. That is why I say overall, we are in the mediocre to decent range for the last 35 years. My snapshot is not CPF forward, it goes back further. When you consider that year in and year out Tennessee typically STARTS 5 or 6 - 0 (3 - 4 nonC wins plus Vandy and KY JELLY), that means we have to beat 4 others to have 9 or 10 wins a season. I think if you look, you could say our average position in the SEC is probably between 4 - 6 over that 35 year span. That to me is mediocre to decent. Decent to good would be an average finish of 2 - 5 and good to awesome would be top 3 in the SEC normally. During that 35 years, Bama has been good to awesome. Florida for the last 20. You are the one that looks at results.....

Edit: Majors was 29 - 40 - 3 in conference not counting Vandy and KY (he lost to Vandy 1 time and KY 3 times). Without Vandy and KY to beat up on, we weren't very good in conference. Fulmer was better at 65 -34 (lost to Vandy once) without counting Vandy and KY, but remember Bama had their suck period during this time and SC hadn't become what they are yet. However, I would rank Fulmer a good to awesome over his tenure. 94 - 74 over 32 years against our conference however, is decent. Sorry, but that is how I see it when you average a sucky with a good. And remember, I began my history with UT with Majors, so I have that baggage to carry around.

Last edited:
Rebuilding is fine. You usually show improvement when you're rebuilding though.

Your right but results r in smaller increments. Baby steps per se. The test period is a small part of the yr. We all came into last season thinking we were solid. Going into uf game we all thought we were golden. Then a major part of the team goes down early for the game then for the season, and it exposed a new major issue no one knew about maybe not even cdd. Unfortuntly the downward spiral was to fast to control during the season. I believe cdd is capable of fixing that mistake in the offseason so that it won't be as big of a deal next season. But again it could happen again if the correction made wasn't the right one. He doesn't have the luxury of truly testing his fixes right away.

Recruiting has been improving during his rebuilding. This a major major part of it.

Your right but results r in smaller increments. Baby steps per se. The test period is a small part of the yr. We all came into last season thinking we were solid. Going into uf game we all thought we were golden. Then a major part of the team goes down early for the game then for the season, and it exposed a new major issue no one knew about maybe not even cdd. Unfortuntly the downward spiral was to fast to control during the season. I believe cdd is capable of fixing that mistake in the offseason so that it won't be as big of a deal next season. But again it could happen again if the correction made wasn't the right one. He doesn't have the luxury of truly testing his fixes right away.

Recruiting has been improving during his rebuilding. This a major major part of it.

I will add that rebulding had to begin with a roster of barely enough guys to field a team. He has seemed to "rebuild" that pretty well. Sometimes you have to look deeper than the final score on the is a success and what isn't.

I will add that rebulding had to begin with a roster of barely enough guys to field a team. He has seemed to "rebuild" that pretty well. Sometimes you have to look deeper than the final score on the is a success and what isn't.

Exactly.:good!: U went a little further on what I was trying to say with my last comment about recruiting. Didnt have time to really finish it. Thanks.

Your last sentence is dead on with what I've been trying to get through to JG. He's not a troll, nor are his comments dumb, but seems like he can't grasp that part of rebuilding.

I.e. My acceptable win # this season is lower than most, if and only if, our loses (to teams we r suppose to lose to) are well fought 4 qtr battles. We shouldn't be spanked by anyone. Not even bama. I'll see improvement in that.

Yes it has. Roster excuses are out the door this year.

I don't think it can be completely thrown out the door. He has 2 full classes he could focus on. That doesnt provide enough depth all around like bama, lsu, even uscjr, etc have been able to build.

There is no doubt that spurrier would be considered a top coach. I know uscjr doesn't have the history tn does, but it took him some time to rebuild and start winning consistently. Building blocks take time and tough when u r as regulated as cfb coaches are.

I don't think it can be completely thrown out the door. He has 2 full classes he could focus on. That doesnt provide enough depth all around like bama, lsu, even uscjr, etc have been able to build.
This is sad.
There is only one team on our schedule with a roster head and shoulders above ours.

This is sad.
There is only one team on our schedule with a roster head and shoulders above ours.

Ok... Obviously we have some good starters but again our depth isn't tested yet. That's what I was referring to. Until we have road tested quality depth, which takes time to build, I won't agree with you.

Ok... Obviously we have some good starters but again our depth isn't tested yet. That's what I was referring to. Until we have road tested quality depth, which takes time to build, I won't agree with you.

Regardless, it's time for Dooley to put up or GTFO. He knows it, Hart knows it, we know it. Some think there's no way he can, because he hasn't proven that he can. They remind us of this every day. Others just know he will, even though he hasn't proven that he can... and they, too, remind us of this every day.

I prefer to remain cautiously (skeptically?) optimistic about this season.

Last edited:
Has the roster improved in your opinion? And if so, isn't that a crucial first step in the rebuilding process?

How the OL plays this season answers that question. Was the last of 2010 what they can do or was 2011 what they can do?

AJ, Randolph and Maggitt look good.

The best WR recruit from his last class left, not blaming Dooley for that but he was a big part of the class, and Dallas hasn't stood out at all.

On paper, there is more quality depth.

Last edited:
Regardless, it's time for Dooley to put up or GTFO. I know it. Some think there's no way he can, because he hasn't proven that he can. They remind us of this every day. Others just know he will, even though he hasn't proven that he can... and they, too, remind us of this every day.

fyp

Regardless, it's time for Dooley to put up or GTFO. He knows it, Hart knows it, we know it. Some think there's no way he can, because he hasn't proven that he can. They remind us of this every day. Others just know he will, even though he hasn't proven that he can... and they, too, remind us of this every day.

I agree to a point! Yes it is put up or shut time and CDD knows that BUT it is the put up vs the shut up that is the debate. Only Hart knows what he wants to see and if he sees that then Dooley is fine if not then we will start over again. For me personally I wont be satisfied with just 8 wins but that will be enough to know we are stepping in the right direction still. Not to mention the personality and growth that the team shows throughout the year.

Expound.

Do you think Dooley sticks around with a .500 season? Do you think he gets to stay if he goes 7-5, but loses to FL, GA, AL, SC, and either Mizzou or Miss St?

I think he needs to beat at least one of those four teams while winning at least eight games. I think that's what Hart expects... maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Expound. Do you think Dooley sticks around with a .500 season? Do you think he gets to stay if he goes 7-5, but loses to FL, GA, AL, SC, and either Mizzou or Miss St?

Nope, but I don't know what Hart or Dooley knows. And you certainly don't. I think he has to win 7 and be in all 12 at the end. I think he has to go to a bowl and win. That has been my opine all along. .500 and he is gone, don't think that is questionable. However, I don't call 7 reg and 1 bowl win "put up or shut up". I call it a marginal season that will suck but be good enough to keep him here 1 year.

VN Store

Back