We are blessed to have Dooley!

I love how people think I was a "negavol" from the start.

I gave Dooley a chance in '10 and '11. Prior to last year I even made a thread that got a ton of love around here from Dooley Nation called "Phase 1 complete" that highlighted Dooley bringing back respect and pride for the program on a national scale as far as recruiting and player/coach behavior were concerned. I'm not certain what I actually wrote in the post, but it was very positive and I was looking forward to 2011. I was disappointed with the way '10 ended with Dooley's game day coaching being subpar at best. The best examples I can think of are the LSU debacle, the UNC game winning drive in the Music City Bowl that we basically gave them, and basically laying down for our biggest rivals.

Fast forward to 2011 and nothing changed. Yes, we got bit by the injury bug so I can excuse the win/loss ratio to some degree. But as a coach his preparation and game day coaching got worse. You can see it on the players face and on the coach's face. It was a lost cause. Against Arkansas, Kentucky, and to some degree Vandy - the players just were not prepared and Dooley looked like a deer in headlights on the sideline.

Going back to his days at La. Tech he has NEVER shown that he can win on a consistent basis. NEVER. There is no other fan base in the world of football that would ever consider giving this guy 4 years (if year 3 is a disaster like year 1 and 2) besides us. And when I say "us" you know who you are. He's a decent recruiter and decent organizer. But that's about as far as it goes for his positives as a coach.

If you guys are happy with mediocrity that's fine with me, but if we only get 5, 6, even 7 wins next year I'll be the first on the hill screaming for his head. No excuses. No excuses with this explosive offense and a defensive genius running the show form the box. No excuses with a junior QB and 1st round talent at the WR position. No excuses with the speed on defense. No excuses.[/QUOTE]

Which is exactly why we couldn't win or even compete with what we had on the field. I'm not real sure what some people think we had to win or compete with his first two years here.

I did what you asked. Not being smart at all, but the post can be taken to mean that as long as everyone feels good about the team, wins do not matter. That sounds like the everyone gets a trophy mentality. If I misinterpreted, I apologize.

Nah...sorry for jumping down your throat (I mixed you up with another poster with a similar name) I was just trying to say that his situation will depend greatly on how the team and the fan base is feeling, not on precisely the wins/losses. In other words, he could win 7 but have the team playing really well (losing to the big boys by a hair's breadth, having horrible luck) or win 8 but show coaching ineptness throughout the season (winning on blind luck, etc...)

I could see a situation where fans might have more pride with the 7 win season than with the 8 win season. Of course, it's a foregone conclusion that if he wins 4, he's gone, and if he wins 10, he stays, regardless of the 'pride element'.

BTW, I'm not into the 'trophies for all' mentality, either. It's ruining our culture.

Reactions: 1 person
Nah...sorry for jumping down your throat (I mixed you up with another poster with a similar name) I was just trying to say that his situation will depend greatly on how the team and the fan base is feeling, not on precisely the wins/losses. In other words, he could win 7 but have the team playing really well (losing to the big boys by a hair's breadth, having horrible luck) or win 8 but show coaching ineptness throughout the season (winning on blind luck, etc...)

I could see a situation where fans might have more pride with the 7 win season than with the 8 win season. Of course, it's a foregone conclusion that if he wins 4, he's gone, and if he wins 10, he stays, regardless of the 'pride element'.

BTW, I'm not into the 'trophies for all' mentality, either. It's ruining our culture.

I get that a lot. Seems there is a jaysvols (not me, JayVols) on TOS. I catch a lot that is intended for him. Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm sure my opinions on some stuff rub some folks the wrong way earning my own fair share, but that doesn't bother me if I earn it. It's an opinion; not everyone will agree. One guy went nuts thinking I was the other guy from TOS. Didn't believe me when I told him he had me confused with someone else. Took a 3rd party to back me up before he was satisfied. I hate showing up to a 'fight' not having a clue on what the fight is about. Kinda disadvantageous.....

Second bold:

I don't have a problem with that for young kids (around tee-ball age), but at some point, they have to learn that there are winners and losers in life. Not everyone gets to 'play' either. Those that are most talented and excel will play. I run into that all the time. If I have a sophomore or freshman that is more talented, works harder, and gives me the best chance to win, they will play. Seniors and senior parents constantly throw out the "seniority" argument, or the "everyone should play" defense. Sorry. I'm paid to win and will put what I feel is the best group on the field that will help me achieve those wins without consideration that your child is a senior or not. Giving everyone a trophy no matter what past the most basic introductory levels of anything competitive is simply teaching that there are never any losers. It rewards mediocrity or worse. There are implications beyond sports for this practice.

Sorry for the social rant. Back to football....

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with that for young kids (around tee-ball age), but at some point, they have to learn that there are winners and losers in life. Not everyone gets to 'play' either. Those that are most talented and excel will play. I run into that all the time. If I have a sophomore or freshman that is more talented, works harder, and gives me the best chance to win, they will play. Seniors and senior parents constantly throw out the "seniority" argument, or the "everyone should play" defense. Sorry. I'm paid to win and will put what I feel is the best group on the field that will help me achieve those wins without consideration that your child is a senior or not. Giving everyone a trophy no matter what past the most basic introductory levels of anything competitive is simply teaching that there are never any losers. It rewards mediocrity or worse. There are implications beyond sports for this practice.

Sorry for the social rant. Back to football....

Well said.

Win the first 4 and the last 4. Our schedule will never be much easier than it is this year. At least scare the hell out of a couple more in-between and Dooley should get another year.

While that may seem unreasonable to some , it's time to turn the corner and I want to see improvement in all phases of the game.

I really want Dooley to succeed, as that would be our best case scenario, but the time for excuses has passed. This program needs to learn how to win all over again and, IMO, it starts now.

Though naysayers and Negavols love to insult CDD, and that's their right, I am more impressed with how Dooley has not only embraced some long forgotten Vol traditions but instituted discipline that was sorely lacking in the recent past..Unlike some Negavols here on VN, I FULLY support him and what he's done so far..Though the win/loss column
hasn't been what I would like it to be, IMO given time he will win games and championships and It will be SOO much sweeter when that happens...Because he will do it with The VOL Taditions and win classsy, which to me would be PRICELESS!!!!

JMHO

Though naysayers and Negavols love to insult CDD, and that's their right, I am more impressed with how Dooley has not only embraced some long forgotten Vol traditions but instituted discipline that was sorely lacking in the recent past..Unlike some Negavols here on VN, I FULLY support him and what he's done so far..Though the win/loss column
hasn't been what I would like it to be, IMO given time he will win games and championships and It will be SOO much sweeter when that happens...Because he will do it with The VOL Taditions and win classsy, which to me would be PRICELESS!!!!

JMHO

With ya 99%.

There is one tradition coach Dooley hasn't been following. Our tradition of great Kickers.

VN Store

Back