Breaking News concerning First Game

Zach Collaros scrambled for two touchdowns and threw for two more, and Cincinnati's defense had its way for much of the game Thursday night, helping the Bearcats pull away to a 44-14 victory over North Carolina State.

The Bearcats (3-1) put together one of their most complete wins in coach Butch Jones' two seasons, with the defense playing a starring role -- much like it did in 2008, when they won the first of their two Big East titles.

"That's what Cincinnati is," said linebacker J.K. Schaffer, who had one of Cincinnati's two interceptions. "If you look at Cincinnati three years ago, their defense got after it. And we want to get back to that. We've done that last game and this game, and we want to do it every single game."

NC State (2-2) couldn't handle the Bearcats' defensive pressure or keep up with Collaros, who repeatedly scrambled out of grasps and made pinpoint throws on the run. He ran 13 and 10 yards for touchdowns, and hooked up with running back Isaiah Pead on a 25-yard screen pass for another score. Pead ran for 167 yards and scored twice.

This was two weeks after this exact same Cincinatti team was beaten by 22 points by last year's team, by the time this game happened, Tennessee did not have Bray or Hunter. I faintly remember walking into the Neyland terraces for the Cinci game thinking it would be a pretty close game, just as you think this game will be. Point is, State was at full strength for this game and were beaten badly by Cincinatti. They will not be at the same strength for UT, and Tennessee will be at a much better spot at every position than they were when they played Cincy last year. I hate to tell you this man, but NC State doesn't stand a chance barring any unforeseen changes. Also, I wish we had your schedule. We probably would have won 10 off that schedule.

I watched the N C State bowl game last year and they were a pretty good team on that day.

That was that day and opening day of this season might be a little tougher taking on our Vols.

I'm not going to overlook a pretty good Wolfpack team and I'm sure CCD and staff aren't either.

It just could be a very close game or our O might light it up but we'll see come gameday.

I expect to get the Win but I won't be surprised if the final score is close.

As long as my Vols get the WIN then I don't care if it's by 1 point.

I expect to also beat floriDUHHH this year and end that horrid streak and I honestly believe our Vols will start out 3-0 this season.

VFL...GBO!!!

Would you rather have a losing season or go to a bowl game and win?

I would rather be in the SEC. Oh, wait... We are.

I would think an objective review of that fact alone would shed some light on "record-comparisons" when judging between the quality of two teams... Especialy when both teams played a common opponent with radically different results.

Man, can't we all just get along.

NC State is not a bad team and we would be very foolish to take them lightly. That being said, I expect us to win and will be there in my Orange cheering for UT. I see no need to belittle the Wolfpack. My dad went there and my first memories of college football were cheering on the Pack. Good people and a good university. I wish them well except against us.

Don't understand all this talk bout the ACC being so wimpy. Last bowl games against ACC:
Maryland
Clemson
Va Tech
UNC

That makes us 0-4. Seem to remember it was Va in the Sugar Bowl back in the '90's last time we beat an ACC team in a bowl. If we want to belittle a conference pick on the Big Ten. At least we've beaten them in a bowl recently.

Hopefully Dooley will turn it around and the ACC will be like the Big Ten for us again, starting Aug 31.

Quit bringing facts into this discussion. Anyone who doesn't think NC State is third rate (and we aren't) is just a troll!

Reactions: 1 person
I would rather be in the SEC. Oh, wait... We are.

I would think an objective review of that fact alone would shed some light on "record-comparisons" when judging between the quality of two teams... Especialy when both teams played a common opponent with radically different results.

^^^Exactly right^^^

The Cincy team we both played and the 2 totally different end results should speak volumes.

VFL...GBO!!!

8-5 NC State team btw. ok so you are so full of yourself and have so much pride that you would rather not play in a bowl game than win one as NC State

We would rather take our lumps rebuilding in the most powerful conference in college football than lower our standards by selling out to easy schedules. To be the best, you have to beat the best. We have been the best before and will be again. By selling out to playing against the mediocre, you can brag about beating several mediocre teams.

You obviously have expressed what you would rather do as a program. UT's tradition proves that, despite the natural highs and lows, tradition is built upon the foundation of hard stone.

^^^Exactly right^^^

The Cincy team we both played and the 2 totally different end results should speak volumes.

VFL...GBO!!!

If youve followed any kind of competitive sport for longer than a year, you know that kind of comparison isn't exactly legit.

The truth is, if we had played NC State in a bowl game, we wouldn't have been favored.

If youve followed any kind of competitive sport for longer than a year, you know that kind of comparison isn't exactly legit.

The truth is, if we had played NC State in a bowl game, we wouldn't have been favored.

That might have been true the way N C State was clicking their last 3 games.

They also weren't totally beaten down and worn out like our Vols were after having to face so many top ranked teams like we did.

I still expect our Vols to get the Win to start this season but the score could go either way by being a close game or we might get rolling and roll up the points on them.

VFL...GBO!!!

Last edited:
I never realized how bad UT was. 2 losing seasons in a row. Only 38 consensus All-Americans compared to NC States 6. Only 6 national titles compared to there 0. Just a 69% win-lose ratio compared to their 51%. NC State has even been to more bowls. They have been to 26, but UT has only been to 49.

One really bad stat is that NC State has not had an 8+ loss season since 2006. UT's last 8 loss season was last never.

Oh and yes I am bored..... :snoring:

And if we counted our national championships like Bama (meaning every time someone whispers the word championship in the state of TN or any surrounding state, UT gets a trophy) we would have 14...

For those that aren't good with math, yes that means we have 8 national championships that were awarded that we don't count, for a reason.

Probably true, depending upon where the game was played, but that is all speculation. Say it was the music city bowl, I highly doubt NCSU would have been favored.

For further analysis see the UT v. Vandy or the KY v. UT game to see what weight being favored lends to the final outcome of the actual game.

Probably true, depending upon where the game was played, but that is all speculation. Say it was the music city bowl, I highly doubt NCSU would have been favored.

For further analysis see the UT v. Vandy or the KY v. UT game to see what weight being favored lends to the final outcome of the actual game.

Or see last years opening game in the Ga. Dome, UGAly vs Boise. The pups hada home field advantage and were favored to win. Doesn't matter. I don't know how good NC State will or wont' be (I don't expect them to be good). But there's a reason the game is played.

Mustafa Greene NC State Starting Running Back charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernilia today.

Will most likely at least miss the UT game. Has not been suspended yet but probably will.

great...we can use all the help we can get

ok, but it would have been close.

8-5 NC State team btw. ok so you are so full of yourself and have so much pride that you would rather not play in a bowl game than win one as NC State

We would rather take our lumps rebuilding in the most powerful conference in college football than lower our standards by selling out to easy schedules. To be the best, you have to beat the best. We have been the best before and will be again. By selling out to playing against the mediocre, you can brag about beating several mediocre teams.

You obviously have expressed what you would rather do as a program. UT's tradition proves that, despite the natural highs and lows, tradition is built upon the foundation of hard stone.

HEY HEY HEY, it's Friday afternoon numbers time....the SEC has filled 10 of the possible 28 BSC National Championship spots for a total of 36%. We have won every one that we have appeared in (but that makes LSU the only loser too - I need a beer). The ACC has appeared in 3, the first 3, all FSU for an 11% appearance rate with one win against the Big Least Champs. In essence the SEC has won 8 times as many BCS championships as the ACC, lost half as many, and appeared 3 times as often. I would say that pretty much makes the ACC irrelevant except for FSU a million years ago and that you can't spell BCS Championship Game without the SEC. So yes, I would rather play a brutal schedule in the SEC rather than a high school schedule in the ACC. Why don't you change your nickname to GoWolfPackTheVolsSuck? Quit using the excuse that NCS is YOUR school. Grow some and transfer to UT or just admit that you are an NCS fan through and through. Hey, I grew up a Bammer and they are still #2 in my books.

That might have been true the way N C State was clicking their last 3 games.

They also weren't totally beaten down and worn out like our Vols were after having to face so many top ranked teams like we did.

I still expect our Vols to get the Win to start this season but the score could go either way by being a close game or we might get rolling and roll up the points on them.

VFL...GBO!!!

The Pack is very schizophrenic in their play. It is tough on anyone who pulls for them. I was in Carter-Finley for the season opener against Liberty and that looked AWFUL. A HS team could have beat them. I was also at the UT-Cinn game and minus the slow start for the D in the first half - we were much sharper. So if last year is any indication of early season play we will kill them.

But if you look at the Pack against Clemson or even UNC last year and it's a different story. If that Pack team shows up we will have our hands full.

Bottom line is NC State has enough talent and will not be intimidated. We have to bring our A game and hope they play like last year's opener.

We have to exorcise our own demons - forgive us our arrogance and hubris and PLEASE, deliver us from that team that took the field to play KY last year....AMEN!

GBO!

This is about the stupidest thing I've heard in a while! Hell, let's just play the top 10 teams in the country each year and get the crap beat out of us and go 0-10 ....which I'm sure will make us a better program!!
Let's #1 - win some games and get the fans behind us which in effect will #2 - bring in better recruits which will #3 - lead to better teams which will allow us to #4 - be competitive against the elite teams which will then #5 - help us to compete for a National Title.:)

This is about the stupidest thing I've heard in a while! Hell, let's just play the top 10 teams in the country each year and get the crap beat out of us and go 0-10 ....which I'm sure will make us a better program!!
Let's #1 - win some games and get the fans behind us which in effect will #2 - bring in better recruits which will #3 - lead to better teams which will allow us to #4 - be competitive against the elite teams which will then #5 - help us to compete for a National Title.:)

I'll bet you play basketball against pre-schoolers too don't you? Makes you feel like an athlete.

When you play basketball against pre-schoolers, it makes you feel like an athlete. When you feel like an athlete, you begin to wear UnderArmor to K-Mart. When you wear UnderArmor to K-Mart, everyone knows you're a deuchebag.

Don't play basketball against pre-schoolers.

I don't think anyone is advocating impossible schedules every year, but you have to play good teams to deserve respect. LSU played Oregon and WVU last year, Alabama beat Penn state. You cut and run from teams like UNC and its almost worse than losing the game. Its a matter of pride. If we can't stand strong in the SEC and represent in OOC games, we might as well join the Big East.

Last year was brutal. I don't expect to see another schedule like that in half a decade.

VN Store

Back