Cody Stubbs

BigOrange51

The one that got away... well, not the one. One of an uncountable number that ran for the hills, but nonetheless, he is tearing it up right now for the Tar Heels.

.472, 10 doubles, 1 HR, 13 RBI.

One that good leaving here for somewhere else will not be happening as often in the future.

Reactions: 1 person
The one that got away... well, not the one. One of an uncountable number that ran for the hills, but nonetheless, he is tearing it up right now for the Tar Heels.

.472, 10 doubles, 1 HR, 13 RBI.

Stubbs left more because of a family financial situation than anything Raleigh did. In fact,the families were and still remain close.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Anytime financial problems are happening when a kid is getting a free education, you know something is up.

Anytime financial problems are happening when a kid is getting a free education, you know something is up.

Free education? You do know how baseball scholarships work don't you?

I've always hated how they treat baseball scholly $.

Stubbs being an out of state player was more than likely paying significant change to attend Tenn. Most people don't understand that.

Free education? You do know how baseball scholarships work don't you?

No, I don't. I was under the impression that the major sports (Basketball, Baseball, Football) all got full rides at most schools. I know I had three offers from DII schools in baseball that offered to pay me half or more of my costs, and DII schools can't offer nearly the same as DI, so I just assumed it was Full ride + 1 year renewable like most.

Please explain the difference (no sarcasm here, just seriously curious)

No, I don't. I was under the impression that the major sports (Basketball, Baseball, Football) all got full rides at most schools. I know I had three offers from DII schools in baseball that offered to pay me half or more of my costs, and DII schools can't offer nearly the same as DI, so I just assumed it was Full ride + 1 year renewable like most.

Very few baseball players get full rides. Majority get 3/4 of a scholarship. I think UT has, what, 11 full scholarships to give to 25 players. Also (not starting a Raleigh debate) but when Raleigh started, Delmonico let the APR slip so much that they lost some of that. Baseball is one of the toughest sells regarding scholarships.

Very few baseball players get full rides. Majority get 3/4 of a scholarship. I think UT has, what, 11 full scholarships to give to 25 players. Also (not starting a Raleigh debate) but when Raleigh started, Delmonico let the APR slip so much that they lost some of that. Baseball is one of the toughest sells regarding scholarships.

11.7 Scholarships across a 35 man roster. You can only have 27 players getting any baseball money, and each player with any scholarship, has to receive at least 25% of a full scholarship. Rarely does anyone get a full ride in baseball.

Here is a guess for Stubbs and what he was paying. Out of state cost is around 24K(a guess). I am also guessing that he was on about 50%. That's leaves 12K per year.

Very few guys gets 3/4 scholarships like a post mentioned above(1 or 2 per team). Stubbs was a big recruit so it is possible he got that but even then he was still paying around 6k.

Baseball is a very tough sport to recruit to and those coaches need to have some creative math skills for sure.

Here is a guess for Stubbs and what he was paying. Out of state cost is around 24K(a guess). I am also guessing that he was on about 50%. That's leaves 12K per year.

Very few guys gets 3/4 scholarships like a post mentioned above(1 or 2 per team). Stubbs was a big recruit so it is possible he got that but even then he was still paying around 6k.

Baseball is a very tough sport to recruit to and those coaches need to have some creative math skills for sure.

That's pretty close. He was getting less than 50%, and they couldn't make the #s work to give him enough that the family could do it. He got a good deal at a JuCo financially and now has a good spot at UNC, which is in-state for him. Glad to see him doing so well and hoping he can turn that into a shot to do well in pro baseball.

That's really sad. I'm paying less to go to a private school with no sports scholarships than they were to play a major sport at a state school.

Someone should do something about that sad situation. Thanks for the explanation though guys.

That's really sad. I'm paying less to go to a private school with no sports scholarships than they were to play a major sport at a state school.

Someone should do something about that sad situation. Thanks for the explanation though guys.

Its an NCAA rule, not a lot that can be done. They tried to add an extra scholarship to baseball, softball and volleyball, but it was voted down by the schools.

i'm wondering if they wave the out of state part of tuiton though for the players...somehow hook them up where they get to pay instate...does anyone know??

i'm wondering if they wave the out of state part of tuiton though for the players...somehow hook them up where they get to pay instate...does anyone know??

Can't do that, it would be against NCAA rules.

The exception is that some schools give international students in-state tuition. But if you do it for athletes, you have to do it for all students.

Some schools have target areas for in state tuition. Some of the Kentucky Universities allow for kids that are located in certain areas to get in state tuition but as Deer said it has to be for all students. Also some schools offer a waiver of out of state tuition depending on good grades.

I think the most i ever heard a UT baseball player getting was around 80%.And the biggest bargain of all Todd Helton 0% on football schlarship

There have been several players that Delmonico gave full rides to.

Yeah. Toles was the most recent, if I remember correctly. That certainly didn't help Raleigh's original situation. Luckily that mess was cleaned up, and they'll be able to get back to having success.

Not until Title IX is done away with...

Someone told me that they had read this post and I thought it was pretty sad. I know the Stubbs family and Cody Stubbs did not leave the UT baseball program because of financial reasons and it is a joke that people who post on this forum would even make excuses for what was a baseball program that was a total train wreck, coached by a tyrant who abused players, and a administration that knew what was going on and did nothing. I know for a fact that he left becasue of Raleigh and no other. The families do not speak and have not spoke since he left UT so it sounds to me that fans of this program are still trying to make excuses for a baseball program that was the laughing stock of the SEC. It is ashame that fans on blogs want to spread things that are totally false about a kid who is the kind of player that UT needs in there athletic program. From what I understand he loves where he is at and is enjoying playing for one of the top programs in the country where they know how to win and respect the players they recruit. Very sad.

VN Store

Back