Where did life begin? (Merged)

Do you believe we have a creator, aka "God"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There is no viable scientific theory that can explain the need for sexual reproduction.

That just leaves creation.

Evolution and the survival of the fittest explains it perfectly. Species adapt, and life figured out that in order to survive, you have to procreate.

Reactions: 1 person
Heavy subject. I think that everything evolves through a natural process. Perhaps we started as micro organisms and over time developed into different species depending on environment and needs. Rationality and logic would suggest that there is a starting point and it would need to be something that could be proven. I struggle with this subject sometimes as I think many do. I was recently reading about why humans have hope and I guess you could apply this to faith as well but basically from a scientific standpoint it is a survival technique. I dont believe in a god that controls our destiny. I believe that if there is a god that nature is the closest thing we have to it.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Evolution and the survival of the fittest explains it perfectly. Species adapt, and life figured out that in order to survive, you have to procreate.

No, those theories don't begin to address sexual reproduction. Additionally, they suggest that life forms should still be contributing to human existence without sexual reproduction.

The creation story as told in the bible is consistent with a very old earth IMO.
Lets say Volatile was writing the big bang theory down for sheep herders in Iran in terms they, who have about a 6th grade education, could understand. What would people say about the scientific validity of this writing 2000 years from now?

The big bang theory has been tossed aside by most scientists

Two prevailing theories in the science world are that A) life began merely by coincidence, in that after millions and millions of years, the right ingredients came together in a primordial soup. The odds of this happening are astronomical, but by the sheer number of years thast passed, it is possible and B) life was brought here by an asteroid or comet. I tend to agree with this theory.
Where did the life on the asteroid begin?

Where did the life on the asteroid begin?

Good question. As i know it, life needs predominately one thing to survive. Water. Liquid water. Asteroids and comets have this. Now where the life from the asteroid came from I dont know. Though the laws of physics actually do allow something to come from absolutely nothing.

There is without a doubt life, possibly abundant, throughout the universe. The math allows it. Whether its primitive life like microbes or bacteria or if its intelligent, it doesnt matter. It would be the single greatest discovery of mankind if we found it, and something tells me we will find in our own cosmic neighborhood, say Mars or Europa.

Good question. As i know it, life needs predominately one thing to survive. Water. Liquid water. Asteroids and comets have this. Now where the life from the asteroid came from I dont know. Though the laws of physics actually do allow something to come from absolutely nothing.

There's another concept I struggle with. What is "nothing"? Even empty space is something.
I should start a list. Things OS13 can not wrap his mind around.

There's another concept I struggle with. What is "nothing"? Even empty space is something.
I should start a list. Things OS13 can not wrap his mind around.

I certaintly agree with that...but even the theory of creation leaves much to be desired. Where did God come from?

I struggle with This as well. GOD just is and always has been. I have trouble wrapping my mind around that. It's no different than in science Where the new school of though is energy always has been. The big bang is just the most recipient big bang. The theory goes on to say at some point all will collapse and bag out again.

Apparently with both God and science there was no beginning.

My earlier answer when Sly asked where God came from.

For those that use the law that energy cannot be created or destroyed, remember that that is only for a vacuum. The universe is not a vacuum, but ever expanding in some mathematical theories.

This subject is too much to talk about on a cell phone.

For those that use the law that energy cannot be created or destroyed, remember that that is only for a vacuum. The universe is not a vacuum, but ever expanding in some mathematical theories.

This subject is too much to talk about on a cell phone.

It's just the basis of it. Something can't come from nothing. Even the smallest particles that formed what we know today had to come from somewhere. Right?

Certain questions about God are invalid.

Consider, if God created the universe, then it is a priori that God existed outside of and prior to the universe. There would be absolutely no logical reasons to assume that things we take for granted as universal laws would have any affect on God. Cause and effect, time, laws of thermodynamics, etc are all conditions that define our universe and may or may not be valid anywhere else.

Certain questions about God are invalid.

Consider, if God created the universe, then it is a priori that God existed outside of and prior to the universe. There would be absolutely no logical reasons to assume that things we take for granted as universal laws would have any affect on God. Cause and effect, time, laws of thermodynamics, etc are all conditions that define our universe and may or may not be valid anywhere else.

None of that invalidates or answers the question, "Where did God come from?"

It's just the basis of it. Something can't come from nothing. Even the smallest particles that formed what we know today had to come from somewhere. Right?

In a vacuum yes, but is the universe really a vacuum? Does that law apply to the entire universe?

To ask that question, one must know that God exists. To which there is no empirical evidence for.

True, VOLatile. But I was responding to RespectTradition's assertion that God apparently not only exists, but created the universe.

So, under that assumption, where did God come from?

If the answer is that God has always existed, then that answer is no better/different to me than stating that the "original" matter/energy that composed the ultradense mass/singularity that exploded in The Big Bang "always existed". Except you don't "need" a deity for the latter.

True, VOLatile. But I was responding to RespectTradition's assertion that God apparently not only exists, but created the universe.

So, under that assumption, where did God come from?

If the answer is that God has always existed, then that answer is no better/different to me than stating that the "original" matter/energy that composed the ultradense mass/singularity that exploded in The Big Bang "always existed". Except you don't "need" a deity for the latter.

What Caused the explosion?
Sorry.

VN Store

Back