Dooley blasts SEC's new over-signing rules

CDD is right but no one wants to hear him. It's a very small percentage of cases that get a lot of coverage. The whole crux is about the coach keeping his word. The old rule was better than the current one, which is only for PR. (Thanks Houston Nutt!)

The comments section is very funny - SOUR GRAPES!

Derek Dooley does not like the SEC’s new “roster management” rules to address over-signing, and the Tennessee coach is not afraid to let everybody know it.
Derek Dooley blasts SEC’s new over-signing rules | AJC College Sports Recruiting
''RELATED: Sandy Creek DB Shaq Wiggins, who committed to UGA last weekend, was offered by Vanderbilt on Monday. “I got to talk to about four coaches, including the head coach James Franklin. They all knew that I committed to Georgia but they wanted to let me know that I had an offer from Vanderbilt, and they invited me to their Junior Day.”

double-talking hypocrite...imo

good read OP, tks for posting...
:hi:

The comments on that article...wow. UGA fans don't even realize that they are bashing one of their own in the process. Dooley and his dad (and probably most coaches) feel the same way about over signing.

Reactions: 1 person
CDD is right but no one wants to hear him. It's a very small percentage of cases that get a lot of coverage. The whole crux is about the coach keeping his word. The old rule was better than the current one, which is only for PR. (Thanks Houston Nutt!)

The comments section is very funny - SOUR GRAPES!

I seen that.I live in Ga and Im telling you these are some uneducated people here.I have a friend here who has lived here all but 3 years of his life and he told me if a guy gets a GED in Ga or even graduates that it would equal to about a 9th or 10th grade education.he said his family moved to fla for the last 3 years of his high school and then moved back to Ga after he graduated.So I didnt expect any of those people who commented on the article to understand what Dooley was saying.The funny thing is MR was on TV on NSD and he said he didnt like the 25 rule.

After reading the fan comments at the bottom of the page, all I have to say is that I hope we beat the **** out of georgia next year. They're fan base is more lost than our own. You give them a little bit of a talent base and a weak schedule, and they get a God complex.

Last edited:
The guy that said somebody had to clean up the mess of the greedy coaches cracked me up the most. There were several paragraphs about how the 25 rule doesn't clean it up. I think a lot of those guys just read the title and commented. That may be all they could read

The "Mark Richt is an outstanding disciple for Christ and would never be a part of anything evil toward kids" comment had me rolling in the floor. The Georgia fans are hilariously butt hurt.

Derek Dooley does not like the SEC’s new “roster management” rules to address over-signing, and the Tennessee coach is not afraid to let everybody know it.
Derek Dooley blasts SEC’s new over-signing rules | AJC College Sports Recruiting

I really liked this rule until signing day, it makes sense why it doesn't work, but oversigning is another evil you gotta deal with. Could always do like Saban though, just tell the kids to go elsewhere on signing day, since its harder to make them waste a year or so then cut them for space. I think the only solution is 4-year scholarships, then you HAVE to be a good recruiter/evaluator.

Last edited:
DD is right, it is stupid. If you have two spots left, you are just supposed to recruit two guys and assume they'll both pick you? Puts the SEC at a disadvantage that might hurt our natinal supremacy in the long run.

WTH? Whats with all the political garbage?

Back to topic, maybe CDD should just over sign a few players every year and hope to figure the rest out as it comes a long. Like his mentor.

and our broken capitalist system blows.

not sure i agree on that one, but i am good at what i do so typically that gets rewarded in our system

the same is true for what DD is saying - if you get a scholly - show up and dont produce - the coaches need to be able to cut ties, move on, and go to someone else

this happens every day in workplaces across america - produce or the business cuts ties with you

dont see a problem in doing it with kids and football schollies too

When they sign the papers, they're "men."

When the university tries to enforce that signature, they're "kids."

anyone know where i can find the pic of Dooley grabbin his crotch? i know that sounds really homo but i just want to make a funny meme out of it lol. i know it has been posted on here plenty of times i just cant find the thread. TIA

I wanted to bump this thread because the AJC just came out with a follow-up featuring comments from other SEC coaches and their POVs on CDD's comments.

Are SEC coaches ready to endorse Derek Dooley with positives of over-signing? | AJC College Sports Recruiting

Dooley might be left alone on this one.

Here's what I don't understand about Dooley. The guy worked under Saban and it looks like he did not learn anything from him. Saban stays very quiet when it comes to "roster management." In the past, he would cut 10+ guys loose every year that were not performing to his standards and you would not hear one word about it from him. They put this rule in place and he simply pulls offers days leading up to NSD, and you still don't hear one word from him about it. He did it to a kid in Atlanta and another in Alabama.

I think CDD's beef is that he lost Santos and Peters days before NSD, and he did not have proper replacements for them due to the new rule on the maximum amount of players you could sign. I can understand that but that's the way recruiting goes and you have to hold onto the guys who commit to you.

Here's what I don't understand about Dooley. The guy worked under Saban and it looks like he did not learn anything from him. Saban stays very quiet when it comes to "roster management." In the past, he would cut 10+ guys loose every year that were not performing to his standards and you would not hear one word about it from him. They put this rule in place and he simply pulls offers days leading up to NSD, and you still don't hear one word from him about it. He did it to a kid in Atlanta and another in Alabama.

I think CDD's beef is that he lost Santos and Peters days before NSD, and he did not have proper replacements for them due to the new rule on the maximum amount of players you could sign. I can understand that but that's the way recruiting goes and you have to hold onto the guys who commit to you.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about?! Yeah, that's just how recruiting goes in the SEC now because of this stupid rule! We'll see what you have to say when something similar happens to UGA next year or the year after... Eventually, every single SEC HC will be complaining about it too, just as soon as it negatively impacts them in some way.

Reactions: 2 people

I think CDD's beef is that he lost Santos and Peters days before NSD, and he did not have proper replacements for them due to the new rule on the maximum amount of players you could sign. I can understand that but that's the way recruiting goes and you have to hold onto the guys who commit to you.

I can't believe I read this. Dumb.

Reactions: 4 people
Just a thought I would like to discuss to see if it would work or not....would increasing the scholarship limit up to 90,95, or 100 help at all? How so or why not? I don't mind letting a player go that has issues or turns out to be a major bust, but a player that gets hurt and can't play anymore should be handled different. Keep him on scholarship if he decides to stay in school, but shouldn't be held against a teams limit.

Just trying to get outside opinions to put together my final opinion on the issue...thanks.

VN Store

Back