'12 GA RB Justin Taylor

Nick Saban hits town to recruit top juniors at Atlanta high schools — and a gym
Michael Carvell | AJC | January 18, 2012

Nick Saban... and a companion, Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart, did a whirlwind tour around the metro area to eyeball some of the state’s top prospects...

FOLLOW UP: We went by North Atlanta High School on Tuesday to follow up with our story on Justin Taylor. He’s the RB who committed to Alabama last February and was told last weekend by Saban that he can’t sign with the Crimson Tide until 2013. You can read more about it here and here. Saban told Taylor his enrollment was being delayed while he recovers from a knee injury while others speculate the real reason is because Alabama has too many commitments for this year’s class...

As usual, Taylor had on his favorite Alabama baseball cap. He remains committed to Alabama but is listening to other options. His football coach and legal guardian, former NFL running back Stanley Pritchett, said Ole Miss, Purdue and two prep schools — Fork Union and Hargrave – have expressed interest in Taylor.

• On his current status: “I’m still committed to Alabama but I’m leaving my options open. Alabama is where I want to go. It’s my dream school. The only reason I’m looking at options is because I want to play football next year.”

• On the report by an Alabama website that he de-committed from the Crimson Tide: “I saw that. That’s totally false. I never said that. I don’t know where that came from. It’s untrue. I’m still committed to Alabama.”

• On recent communication with Alabama: “I talked to [assistant coach Chris Rumph] on Monday. It kind of hit him hard when he read everybody’s comments on the AJC below the story. I asked him questions like ‘Why didn’t he let me sign this year and then let me redshirt?’ Coach Rumph said ‘Because of the commitment list.’ I asked him some of the same things people were bringing up on the AJC. I asked him ‘Since I was the seventh commitment of this class, why can’t I be redshirted since I’ve been committed so long?’ [Rumph] didn’t have anything to say, to be honest. He was like ‘I don’t know but I will talk to the coaching staff.’ [Rumph] is supposed to come talk to me this week, probably Wednesday.”

• On what it would take for him to switch to another school: “It would have to be an unbelievable situation. I would have to love the coaching staff just like I love Alabama’s coaching staff. I would have to like the school like I like Alabama. It’s not going to be easy for any school to compare. It’s not going to be easy.” » Article Link »

saban : who's the dumbest recruit we got that would fall for this sh#$? rumph: probably taylor

Reactions: 2 people
Who cares what you think. You are just like most bama fans and couldn't careless about the kids. I have a few friends that pull for bama and all they had to say when Maze went down was shot him up and get him back out there. Whatever it takes to win right. It said Saban would have liked to tell him earlier but couldn't. I call BS on that.

Saban did not send Hostesses to a HS football game did he. Whatever it takes to win right. :)

yes tw i am saying it is wrong when a school backs off two damned weeks b4 signing day.. hell if auburn pulled this crap you'd be all over their azz

Yes I am sure some UA fans would be but I would not. The fact is these kids play more coaches and the school than the other way around. How many kids decommited from UT or say they are looking around 2 weeks before signing day that are committed to UT.

If people are so concerned on here about these poor kids where are all the ones up in arms about lowering the requirments to qualify academically just to get in to play football. All that does is set them up for failure in the classroom. UT is at 61% for graduation. Are you screaming for the system to be fixed that is setup for the 39% to fail, because the school allows a player to come in, but yet a higher standard is required for non athletes to get in.

Do I think it is wrong, probably and yes Saban probably should have told him up front there was a chance. Maybe he should tell everyone that. Maybe the parents or his coach, which should have known better, should have told him Saban has a track record for grayshirting players coming off injury. Maybe he should start looking around right after the injury.

Haha, that's not good PR right there. Taylor drilled an assistant coach with questions and he dodged them. "I don't know, but I'll talk to the coaching staff." Dodge.

Taylor should take a hint that he is just another pawn in Saban's recruiting tactics.

richt and dooley: well son if the scholarship is still there for you... unlike saban, we wont bail on you giving you just 14 days to find a free ride to college

Reactions: 1 person
Haha, that's not good PR right there. Taylor drilled an assistant coach with questions and he dodged them. "I don't know, but I'll talk to the coaching staff." Dodge.

Taylor should take a hint that he is just another pawn in Saban's recruiting tactics.

That's why I feel bad for the kid. He has been brainwashed by the Bama staff and his HS coach seems like a pimp to tell you the truth. His HS coach only came out and slammed Bama after he heard and read (yes he read the comments on AJC) the outrage by just about everybody in Atlanta. They will say it was just UGA fans but Atlanta has fans from plenty of schools in the Southeast.

this will be much worse than the arnett pr hit we took

this will be much worse than the arnett pr hit we took

You think that would be the case but that does not always happen. The Bama coaches came by the metro Atlanta area yesterday and some HS coaches started acting like a middle school girl when she sees Justin Bieber.

That's why I feel bad for the kid. He has been brainwashed by the Bama staff and his HS coach seems like a pimp to tell you the truth. His HS coach only came out and slammed Bama after he heard and read (yes he read the comments on AJC) the outrage by just about everybody in Atlanta. They will say it was just UGA fans but Atlanta has fans from plenty of schools in the Southeast.

Brainwashing is reading the AJC and believing everything they write.

First, about Taylor: When I watched his film, the player I thought of was not Ingram -- it was Travis Henry. I really liked the way he went downhill, running over people and through attempts to tackle him. He's not the fastest RB we have looked at, but I believe he is the hardest running back we have recruited. Frankly, I would rather have him over Bourque if it appears that he is going to completely heal.

As to Saban's recruiting tactics, I do not think that Tennessee under Dooley can say much about that. Dooley learned well Saban's philosophy about recruiting over kids who have committed to us and is not hesitant to cut a kid that we have accepted a commitment from, even if he is a long time committment: -- see Cross, for example. As I have often stated here previously, I believe this practice is ok ONLY if the recruit was explained BEFORE he committed that he could be recruited over or gray shirted. If that is not the case, either recruiting over him or gray shirting is morally wrong.

mlsoft

Last edited:
Please explain where Carvell was misleading anybody with his article on Taylor and Bama. Facts are facts and he has been on top of this story.

I have never said what has been reported was not the truth. All I said is believing everything the AJC writes, meaning the majority of their stuff is just fluff and nothing more in an attempt to excite UGA fans.

I have never said what has been reported was not the truth. All I said is believing everything the AJC writes, meaning the majority of their stuff is just fluff and nothing more in an attempt to excite UGA fans.

That's funny because the delusional and overly homerish Dawg fans hate the AJC. I'm all for fair coverage as long as you bring credible facts. The AJC has come after UGA as well and I have not had a problem with it. Bama is wrong on this one. I know you don't want to hear it but it's the truth.

That's funny because the delusional and overly homerish Dawg fans hate the AJC. I'm all for fair coverage as long as you bring credible facts. The AJC has come after UGA as well and I have not had a problem with it. Bama is wrong on this one. I know you don't want to hear it but it's the truth.

Wrong about what. We told Taylor he would have to grayshirt and before NSD. The problem is that very few schools kept any interest in him once he blew out his knee. So his options are limited now. But it could be worse and be like before the new NCAA change or the New SEC rule where he would sign a NLI only to be told he would have to wait until next Jan to enroll and had no option to go elsewhere.

VN Store

Back