"The Stop" against #1 LSU/Billy Cannon

allvol9

My grandfather is a huge Tennessee fan. He talks alot about going to the UT vs LSU game in the 50's when LSU came to Knoxville ranked #1. Talks about what is now called
"the Stop" when the Vols stop LSU and we upset them. I goggled it and found information on it. I would love to know if there is a picture, print or better yet video of that play. It would make his day. Does anyone know of anything?

Outstanding video thanks for posting!! I think that game was played a week after "the midnight run" on Halloween night against Ole Miss when Billy Cannon scored the game winning TD.

I know there is a clip of the stop on the 100 Years of Volunteers Video. There is even the call by George Mooney, I am pretty sure the call was a re creation because he was talking so fast it sounded scripted. Either way it was great.

Look how all the fans were lined up right outside the lines. That is awesome.

Three long time family friends played a role in the outcome of this game. Neighbor Jim Cartwright returned an INT for a TD. Cotton Letner kicked the go ahead EP and Wayne Grubb was part of The Stop

I know there is a clip of the stop on the 100 Years of Volunteers Video. There is even the call by George Mooney, I am pretty sure the call was a re creation because he was talking so fast it sounded scripted. Either way it was great.

I've thought the same thing but after debating it over in my head for sometime i've came to the conclusion that it's not a recreation solely based on the fact that it would have been the only recreation used for the video.

My grandfather is a huge Tennessee fan. He talks alot about going to the UT vs LSU game in the 50's when LSU came to Knoxville ranked #1. Talks about what is now called
"the Stop" when the Vols stop LSU and we upset them. I goggled it and found information on it. I would love to know if there is a picture, print or better yet video of that play. It would make his day. Does anyone know of anything?

Sports Illustrated photo archives. It's called "The Stop". The full-page pic was in the following week's issue and labeled "The Stop". I cut it out and had it stapled to the wall over my desk for years. Wish I still had it....

I was there. Completed two years at the University of Tennessee Martin Branch and transferred to Knoxville Fall of 1959.

Had seats right on the goal line. After the LSU touchdown, they were behind by one point. Paul Dietzel elected to go for two and the win instead of kicking the point for the tie. Billy Cannon was virtually stopped before Billy Majors got there to finish "The Stop".

Great game and it made a lifetime Vol fan of me.

Back then Tennessee was running the 'single wing' and the quick kick was quite the offensive weapon . . .

Those were the days!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back