The Golf Thread

That's the one. It's also the same place where a friend and I were admiring a monster house adjacent to a fairway and wondering who owned it . . . Then Lex Lugar came wandering out onto the deck.

it went through our office pretty quick, we have a VP that lives there
he didn't think it was as funny as the rest of us

I use the Fatso and converted from a reverse overlap to a 10 finger grip. It really quieted my hands and the size of the grip forced me to ease my grip pressure which gives me better feel.

Alright GA, so i switched to the 10 finger grip. It wasn't nearly as uncomfortable to switch as i thought it would be. I haven't been playing very long so usually trying something new isn't that bad. I am so happy with the fatso. For the first time since I've been playing putting is somewhat fun and not so damn frustrating. I love the way the ball rolls. I'm rarely getting any side spin because this grip is forcing me to calm my hands and not grip so tight. I've just been putting on my green at home but I'm taking it to the course tomorrow for 18. Any pointers for me?

Alright GA, so i switched to the 10 finger grip. It wasn't nearly as uncomfortable to switch as i thought it would be. I haven't been playing very long so usually trying something new isn't that bad. I am so happy with the fatso. For the first time since I've been playing putting is somewhat fun and not so damn frustrating. I love the way the ball rolls. I'm rarely getting any side spin because this grip is forcing me to calm my hands and not grip so tight. I've just been putting on my green at home but I'm taking it to the course tomorrow for 18. Any pointers for me?

Make sure you roll some long putts before you play. It has a little different feel with that big grip.

Also be prepared with some good sexual innuendo comebacks when your playing partners make fun of you.

Sawgrass is about as gimmicky as they come. Sugarloaf isn't that bad.

I just can not stand to have houses on both sides of the fairways like most of the newer TPC courses. Sawgrass only has a few holes where there are houses lining the fairways.

I just can not stand to have houses on both sides of the fairways like most of the newer TPC courses. Sawgrass only has a few holes where there are houses lining the fairways.

That's just not tpc courses though. Most newer courses or resorts have houses as well. Sugarloaf isn't that bad except on a few holes. I don't mind plunking a million dollar house.

Make sure you roll some long putts before you play. It has a little different feel with that big grip.

Also be prepared with some good sexual innuendo comebacks when your playing partners make fun of you.

Well all and all it wasn't too bad. We got to the course just in time to tee off so i got no practice putts. I see what you were saying about the long ones, its different for sure. I was really pleased at my accuracy inside of 5-7 feet. Played on some tough greens today. Going to champions run in Rockvale tomorrow. I usually putt good there so I'm hoping to build off what I did today.

Well all and all it wasn't too bad. We got to the course just in time to tee off so i got no practice putts. I see what you were saying about the long ones, its different for sure. I was really pleased at my accuracy inside of 5-7 feet. Played on some tough greens today. Going to champions run in Rockvale tomorrow. I usually putt good there so I'm hoping to build off what I did today.

Don't worry, he really knows how to handle big things in his hands, if you know what i mean..

and no, not his own.

POW!

How in the heck can I possibly shoot an amazing 61 on the front today....PITIFUL!!!! I took a 13 on one hole after I put 4 balls in the water.

Then I turn and shoot a 42 on the back. That is closer to normal.

How can a person's game be SO inconsistent?

played my 4th round in the last 12 months yesterday.... 84. Not too bad. I just moved onto the final round q school course in 2009 and 2010- Might need to improve my game. How often did you guys play when you had small children? My kids are 1.5 and 2.5...I hate being gone for 5 hours.

played my 4th round in the last 12 months yesterday.... 84. Not too bad. I just moved onto the final round q school course in 2009 and 2010- Might need to improve my game. How often did you guys play when you had small children? My kids are 1.5 and 2.5...I hate being gone for 5 hours.

Welcome to my world. My youngest is now 4 and I'm still nowhere near back to playing as often as I did before.

There was a course I played in Alpharetta in a US Amatuer quaifier about 15-16 years ago. At that time, it was called The Country Club of the South. It is a Nicklaus design. Great layout. Andre Rison had a house on the course that burned down by his former wife/girlfriend. What is it called now? I know the name changed several years ago.

Thanks

I went from about 60 rounds a year, prior to kids to about 25-30 after the second one..
Then I moved to illinois and went to about 15-20

I haven't played a round on the weekend since my 12 yr old was born, unless its a once in a year member/guest tourney.

It would be tough if you don't have a flexible schedule during the week. Hell, half the rounds I play, my wife doesn't know. I don't lie, but there's really no sense in bringing up if she doesn't ask.

Welcome to my world. My youngest is now 4 and I'm still nowhere near back to playing as often as I did before.

yeah, I'm seeing myself in the same place at 4.

I went from about 60 rounds a year, prior to kids to about 25-30 after the second one..
Then I moved to illinois and went to about 15-20
I played close to 200 a year about 6 years ago...those days are long gone...and I live in golf mecca.

I haven't played a round on the weekend since my 12 yr old was born, unless its a once in a year member/guest tourney.

It would be tough if you don't have a flexible schedule during the week. Hell, half the rounds I play, my wife doesn't know. I don't lie, but there's really no sense in bringing up if she doesn't ask.

I have a pretty flexible because we're photographers...but i'm still going to have to carve out some time for the driving range at least. It helps to relax me. It also hasn't helped that i've done a lot of running over the last year or so, that's eaten up some of my free time.

How does anyone play this time of year when it get's dark at 6? shesh.

I play about 120x a year, and keep on developing bad habits. It was so nice the 1st few years playing and not knowing what the hell a shank was, now I know

I play about 120x a year, and keep on developing bad habits. It was so nice the 1st few years playing and not knowing what the hell a shank was, now I know

HAHA! been there. I had been playing a ton but still wasn't hitting the ball as well as I'd like. My wife knew I was frustrated and bought me some lessons at the breakers. I had three lessons and the guy moved me back off of the ball while widening my stance. I went from average to bad...and thought it was just going to take a while to get used it to. FF a few years and it wasn't better. Finally I spent a few days on the range and realized that I was still as far off the ball as he had placed me...I scooted closer and instantly got my baby draw back.

I took golf lessons when I first started playing about 11 or 12 years ago. Honestly it was probably one of the worst things I could have ever done to my game. After I ditched a bunch of the stuff I was taught to do beforehand and loosened up a bit my play improved a pretty good deal.

Still not very good, though. But better than I was. I could probably get better if I changed my habit of heading out to the golf course only in the summer months and visited the range a little more often.

Last edited:
A guy in our group had a couple of lessons, he's a head case now, overthinks swing mechanics instead of just swinging the club and firing thru. It didn't help him at all, just sayin

How in the heck can I possibly shoot an amazing 61 on the front today....PITIFUL!!!! I took a 13 on one hole after I put 4 balls in the water.

Then I turn and shoot a 42 on the back. That is closer to normal.

How can a person's game be SO inconsistent?

Last Saturday I shot a 75, next day, same course, 96, that's awful. I am Mr. inconsistent

Getting out for first time in a long time tomorrow morning. Growing up played a my dad once a week. Havent played a him in a year now.

ordered a custom leather scirecard holder...it's pretty nice and the guy is great to work with...after exchaning emails with him on Tennesee ideas he came up with the checkerboard idea

Scoreholder 2.jpg

Scoreholder 5.jpg

VN Store

Back