2012 Schedule discussion

The site said that Arkansas is off our schedule replaced with Missouri at home and MIss St stays on. Nice to drop off both LSU and Arky... If its true.

Reactions: 1 person
Noticed this too about Arkansas. Wouldn't LSU be coming off the schedule anyway since we played this last year as well?

Reactions: 1 person
That's great news for our D - maybe that's what Wilcox is meeting with the team about today
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Noticed this too about Arkansas. Wouldn't LSU be coming off the schedule anyway since we played this last year as well?
that was to be inferred from the OP. we only had to drop one to fit in the new guys since they are in the east. Personally I am glad they put them in the east instead of jacking up the status quo. As long as we get to keep Bama on sched every year I am happy.

No we played ole miss and killed them. If we have decent team should have gave them pay back since it is home game and most of their offense will be gone.

Last edited:
Mizzou is certainly more favorable game than LSU or Arkansas, but wouldn't take them lightly. Watched a lot of their games this year. Judging how we had trouble defending a WR playing QB utilizing the option for Kentucky, Mizzou could give us fits. Their QB (ironically named James Franklin) got better throughout the year and they seemed to be clicking against Texas, Texas Tech and Kansas. They run the spread with a lot of option read runs by their QB Franklin. I still think we beat them, but they could be dangerous. Who knows? By the time they get through their first SEC schedule and play us in November, they could be limping into that game.

No we played ole miss and killed them. If we have decent team should have gave them pay back since it is home game and most of their offense will be gone.

No. I am pretty sure we played LSU last year too. Do you not remember us having 13 players on the field at the end?

this is awesome news - anyone have a link where this is confirmed?

ill trade state and MO for arky and lsu any day of the week

No. I am pretty sure we played LSU last year too. Do you not remember us having 13 players on the field at the end?
We got killed by ole miss in kiffin first year. Then last year we blew them out of our stadium. They 2 teams that revolve each other year in the west that we do not play in reg season . Ole miss 09 through 10, LSU 09,10 get it .

We got killed by ole miss in kiffin first year. Then last year we blew them out of our stadium. They 2 teams that revolve each other year in the west that we do not play in reg season . Ole miss 09 through 10, LSU 09,10 get it .

For one, I cannot understand what you just wrote. And second, we did not play LSU in 2009. We played them in 2010 and 2011. I remember Ole Miss and Dexter McCluster running all over us and then we got them back the next year. He had a record day and has done squat for the Chiefs.

LSU was falling off anyway. I'm very happy they dropped Arkansas for instead of Miss St. Maybe Mullen will go to Penn St and they will be strugglin next year.

Mizzou is certainly more favorable game than LSU or Arkansas, but wouldn't take them lightly. Watched a lot of their games this year. Judging how we had trouble defending a WR playing QB utilizing the option for Kentucky, Mizzou could give us fits. Their QB (ironically named James Franklin) got better throughout the year and they seemed to be clicking against Texas, Texas Tech and Kansas. They run the spread with a lot of option read runs by their QB Franklin. I still think we beat them, but they could be dangerous. Who knows? By the time they get through their first SEC schedule and play us in November, they could be limping into that game.

Kentucky ended up being dangerous.

Until winning is a regular thing,they are all dangerous

So, basic breakdown here.

5 wins in the bag - (Georgia State, Akron, Troy, Vanderbilt, Kentucky)
1 good chance of win - (Mississippi State)
4 toss-ups - (Georgia, South Carolina, Missouri, NC State)
1 decent chance of loss - (Florida)
1 sure fire loss - (Alabama)

5-7 if everything goes to hell
11-1 if every bounce goes our way
8-4 to 9-3 is most likely

Yep, I'm thinking 8 wins isn't even enough to satisfy me, to be honest. 9 or 10 and I'd be good.

The NC State that got beat by 30 against Cincy is a tossup? Grant that they were a Jeckyll and Hyde team this year, but they're in the Mississippi State category, not the Georgia category.

Looks like Uga gets the sh!t end of the stick if this article is correct. Them going to bama instead of ole miss and us dropping ark and picking up missish!tti st would be huge.

Alabama | MrSEC.com

Seems fair to me considering their cake walk of a schedule this year.

The NC State that got beat by 30 against Cincy is a tossup? Grant that they were a Jeckyll and Hyde team this year, but they're in the Mississippi State category, not the Georgia category.

Yeah NC state certainly needs to be dropped category

georgia and florida need to be switched as well - flirida is 6-6 and will lose QB and both RB's

i may be optimistic but id throw MO down there with nc state and miss state - certainly not a guarantee but more likely to win than lose

8 wins seem manageable. That would show me some progress. I would prefer more though

Last edited:
i dont know why 9 games is an unreasonable expectation next year - he will walk on the field with more talent in 8 of those games w/o question - GA, FL, SC will be a wash at talent level, and AL will be more talented

you could win 9 games with that schedule and lose to both rivals and not beat a ranked team

Ya know, it's one thing to say, our talent will be pretty even and that game could be winnable, versus, that is an expected win for us.

There is a lot of fate, breaks, bad calls and injuries in football and it goes both ways.

Its one thing to say it should be a competitive game, quite another to say it's a must-win or else.

I don't really feel like doing this Astronomy paper I have to write. Instead, I'd rather type up a short preview of each team on our schedule. You know, for fun. As mentioned later on, the projected starters returning do not factor in those who may leave early for the NFL.

NC State: 7-5 in 2011, 14 starters returning in 2012 (7 offense, 7 defense)

I can't be the only one who was completely shocked to see NC State had won seven games this year. Every time I've seen them play save for the Clemson game they were utterly awful (losses by 30 to Cincinnati, 34 to FSU, loss to Boston College, falling behind Maryland by 27 before coming back). I really don't treat this as a toss-up game as I'm pretty confident Tennessee wins this, but I like Mike Glennon a lot. 62.4% completion rate/28 TDs/134.9 QB rating in 2011.

Georgia State: 3-8 (FCS), ??? starters returning (no info available), 3rd year as football program

It's Georgia State, so I won't spend much time on them. I think Bill Curry can take this program fairly far, though. It's going to take some time. From what I can tell based on their very FCS-level site they started 3 QBs at some point in 2011 and their top three rushers all missed at least one game, so I'm guessing they had a good amount of injuries this year.

Florida: 6-6 in 2011, 16 starters returning (6 offense, 10 defense)

As bad as Tennessee's offense was from October on, Florida provided a strong (and ugly) challenger. After John Brantley left the Alabama game with an injury, they put up 6 points and 194 yards on an Auburn D that ranked 78th in the nation allowing 406 YPG. Couple that with two crapshows against South Carolina and Florida State, the fact that they lose Brantley, Demps, and Rainey, and that Charlie Weis did a terrible job as the OC this year, fans shouldn't expect much of anything from Florida's offense next year. It'll be the grown-up and more experienced D that finished 10th in yards allowed per game that should provide a challenge.

Akron: 1-11 in 2011, 15 starters returning (8 offense, 7 defense)

Akron's only win in 2011: VMI. Georgia State may provide a tougher challenge. I'm hoping they hire Luke Fickell, because it'd be a great opportunity for him and it's probably the best hire they can make. Still feel terrible for Rob Ianello, who learned of the loss of his job en route to his mother's funeral.

@Georgia: 10-2 in 2011, 17 starters returning (8 offense, 9 defense)

Yes, Georgia had the easiest SEC schedule by far. Regardless, they didn't slip up in games they easily could've lost (Florida, Tennessee) and there's been a clear improvement in their play since the start of the year. While everyone expected UGA's offense to be the impressive part of the team, the defense has quietly had an outstanding year, finishing 5th in total defense. They're also pretty high in the "competitive" stats too. Georgia should be the clear East favorite in 2012 and a Tennessee win here could mean more than any other game on the schedule.

Bye week: 0-0 in 2011, 0 starters returning (0 offense, 0 defense)

@Mississippi State: 6-6 in 2011, 12 starters returning (5 offense, 7 defense)

For all the hype this Bulldogs team had this season, they sure didn't live up to it. Chris Relf was an absolute horror show at QB, and while the defense held up their end of the bargain fairly well, the offense could never match it. Tyler Russell looked impressive at times at QB, but the loss of a solid tailback in Vick Ballard will hurt State's offense that much more.

Alabama: 11-1 in 2011, 13 starters returning (7 offense, 6 defense - potential NFL draftees not included)

The amount of starters returning for Alabama will heavily depend on the individual players' thoughts on leaving for the NFL a year early. Dre Kirkpatrick, Trent Richardson, and Dont'a Hightower are all projected as first-round picks, so that number could be as low as ten. What else can I say about Alabama that doesn't scream of bias? Um...they're well-coached? They're an NFL machine? Even though this is at home against what could be an Alabama team missing a good amount of their 2011 roster I'm still not excited to play them?

@South Carolina: 10-2 in 2011, 16 starters returning (9 offense, 7 defense)

Unlike Alabama, I'm pretty sure we know what we're going to see back from SoCar/Sakerlina/Fighting Spurriers outside of the status of projected top-10 pick Alshon Jeffery. With Jeffery, Carolina is still a very tough team to play against, returning everyone on offense save for two linemen and returning a good amount of their sneakily good defense. Thankfully, though, Jeffery probably ends up leaving and Melvin Ingram and Travian Robertson are both graduating.

Troy: 3-8 in 2011 (one game remaining @Arkansas State), 14 starters returning (8 offense, 6 defense)

Rough season for Troy, as they've battled injuries on offense all season long and have had tons of trouble replacing NFL draftee Jerrel Jernigan. They lost two receivers right before the season started to eligibility that would've played a big part in helping replace Jernigan and neither side of the ball has been particularly effective this season, including the defense, ranked 100th on Football Outsiders S&P rankings after finishing 82nd in 2010 and returning 8 starters on that side of the ball. Next year, they should be back on or near the top of the Sun Belt, but it'll be a wait-and-see game.

Missouri: 7-5 in 2011, 11 starters returning (5 offense, 6 defense)

Not exactly the model year for Missouri football. Gary Pinkel gets arrested for DUI, the team's best win is over a Texas A&M squad that forgets to play 60 minutes instead of 30, and while the offense has been pretty good the defense has been solidly below-average. They really don't return a lot on either side of the ball next year, losing 60% of the offensive line, their top two receivers, and their tight end on offense (currently projected as a first-round pick) while losing 3/4 of their defensive line. Don't be surprised if next year's Missouri squad goes .500 or below in their adjustment period to the SEC.

@Vanderbilt: 6-6 in 2011, 15 starters returning (8 offense, 7 defense)

James Franklin's a douchebag. While Vandy's returning a great amount of starters, they're still Vanderbilt. Until they show actual success above making the Music City Bowl, I'll continue to believe in Vandy being Vandy.

Kentucky: 5-7 in 2011, 13 starters returning (7 offense, 6 defense)

One of the worst SEC offenses ever? Check. Losing maybe their best all-around offensive player in Roark? Check. Losing 3/5 of the offensive line? Check. Danny Trevathan and Winston Guy, the two best players on the team, gone to graduation? Check. Good grief, just don't lose to these idiots again.

I'm thinking 9-3 sounds realistic. Steal a win on the road against UGA or South Carolina and that becomes 10-2. Go Vols

Contrast those with

Tennessee 5-7 in 2011, 19 starters returning (10 on offense, 9 on defense) and both kickers

Had a promising start get unhinged when gamebreaking WR went down in game 3...after Bray got injured and they entered the toughest 5 game stretch in recent SEC history the team fell apart. SHOULD BE MUCH IMPROVED WITH SCHEDULE AND RETURNING TALENT IN 2012.

VN Store

Back