FoxSports on blown call

Special Ed

VFE: Vol For Eternity
Its nothing bad. Officials did a good job. What would of been a tragedy is if they didn't review it. Change of rule needed.

Reactions: 3 people
His knee wasn't down. At the end of the day the refs got it right, that's all that matters, IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
The head ref got it right by allowing the review because he knew it was a clean TD.

Head linesman screwed up.

In the end, the right outcome happened, but it took breaking the rules to get to it.

I keep looking on ESPN to see the anouncement that the NCAA has reviewed the play and reversed our win.

Please tell me that can't happen, I need to be able to sleep! :banghead2::banghead2::banghead2:

what officials have been trained to do (at least it looks this way), is NOT blow the whistle there, let the play run its course, THEN look at the review to see if his knee was down.

In this case the opposite happened. The correct call was made, but 'rules' were broken.

Its nothing bad. Officials did a good job. What would of been a tragedy is if they didn't review it. Change of rule needed.

I dont see how everyone doesnt see this! Tennessee won on a legit play and the right call was made. We have two calls like this go against us last year and everyone says oh suck it up you lost. Finally a call goes our way and everyone says the opposite. Sounds like there are some closet Vandy fans on volnation.

Reactions: 5 people
The head ref got it right by allowing the review because he knew it was a clean TD.

Head linesman screwed up.

In the end, the right outcome happened, but it took breaking the rules to get to it.

Yep, and we're going to hear about it from the Candy fans for the next 25 years until they beat us again.

"Remember back in '11 when the refs gave it to UT?!?! We coulda won that one and this streak wouldn't be sitting at 53 and climbing!!"

I dont see how everyone doesnt see this! Tennessee won on a legit play and the right call was made. We have two calls like this go against us last year and everyone says oh suck it up you lost. Finally a call goes our way and everyone says the opposite. Sounds like there are some closet Vandy fans on volnation.

I know right? People are literally complaining that a bad call wasn't allowed to stand. Blows my mind.

Reactions: 1 person
I keep looking on ESPN to see the anouncement that the NCAA has reviewed the play and reversed our win.

Please tell me that can't happen, I need to be able to sleep! :banghead2::banghead2::banghead2:

We never got the ball in OT. The right call was made and they will not reverse the win and give a tie due to the fact we never got our chance with the ball.

Reactions: 1 person

Saw this posted in another thread.. This may have been what was employed last night... I doubt it though, SEC refs as a whole don't strike me as being intelligent enough to know the rules this well...

http://www.americanfootball.ru/Sport/Rule/2011_football_rules.pdf

RULE 12 Instant Replay

SECTION 3 Reviewable Plays

Limitations on Reviewable Plays
ARTICLE 6. No other plays or officiating decisions are reviewable. However,
the replay official may correct egregious errors, including those involving the
game clock, whether or not a play is reviewable.
This excludes fouls that are
not specifically reviewable (Reviewable fouls: Rules 12-3-2-c and d, 12-3-4-b
and 12-3-5-a).

Reactions: 6 people
Regardless if the play was called dead and the TD was not allowed, Vandy turned the ball over on downs. All UT needed was 3 to win the game. There is no way they can reverse the call and give Vandy a win or tie.

Can somebody please explain to me the logic behind WHY the refs aren't able to review a play if the whistle has been blown? I'm sure there is a legitimate reason, I'm just not seeing it...

Saw this posted in another thread.. This may have been what was employed last night... I doubt it though, SEC refs as a whole don't strike me as being intelligent enough to know the rules this well...

http://www.americanfootball.ru/Sport/Rule/2011_football_rules.pdf

RULE 12 Instant Replay

SECTION 3 Reviewable Plays

Limitations on Reviewable Plays
ARTICLE 6. No other plays or officiating decisions are reviewable. However,
the replay official may correct egregious errors, including those involving the
game clock, whether or not a play is reviewable.
This excludes fouls that are
not specifically reviewable (Reviewable fouls: Rules 12-3-2-c and d, 12-3-4-b
and 12-3-5-a).

And think about the INTENT of having replay review ...

its to check make sure the correct call is utlimately made, that "justice" is done. And it was.

Can somebody please explain to me the logic behind WHY the refs aren't able to review a play if the whistle has been blown? I'm sure there is a legitimate reason, I'm just not seeing it...

And if they do blow the whistle, don't they stand at the line where the ball is down and wave both arms?

I saw the ref just crouch and run down the sidelines trailing Gordon and company.

If players hear a whistle, they stop playing (unless it's a georgia player).

And if they do blow the whistle, don't they stand at the line where the ball is down and wave both arms?

I saw the ref just crouch and run down the sidelines trailing Gordon and company.

If you look at the replay you can see the lineman in the background doing just that.

what officials have been trained to do (at least it looks this way), is NOT blow the whistle there, let the play run its course, THEN look at the review to see if his knee was down.

In this case the opposite happened. The correct call was made, but 'rules' were broken.

Obviously the linesman couldn't see what happened. Two thoughts on his part: fumble (wrong), knee down (wrong).

If you can't see what happens do not blow your whistle while play is still ongoing. The official needs to be reprimanded or suspended for jumping to a conclusion without seeing what transpired.

Obviously the linesman couldn't see what happened. Two thoughts on his part: fumble (wrong), knee down (wrong).

If you can't see what happens do not blow your whistle while play is still ongoing. The official needs to be reprimanded or suspended for jumping to a conclusion without seeing what transpired.

Its like he didn't realize instant replay is there to clean it up. But this it the truth of modern officiating. Why go out on a limb with guesses? This is the real story: utterly atrocious officiating with how this was called on the field.

VN Store

Back