2011-2012 MLB offseason thread

Dale Sveum, former Brewers hitting coach, named Cubs manager.

Really surprised STL nor CHI picked up Francona. I'm guessing his asking price was just too high for either team to throw at him.

Dale Sveum, former Brewers hitting coach, named Cubs manager.

Really surprised STL nor CHI picked up Francona. I'm guessing his asking price was just too high for either team to throw at him.

I'm thinking it was other factors....

MLB should go to 2 16-team leagues and institute a hard salary cap. It would spread the talent around the league and increase TV ratings in cities that now feel like they don't ever have a chance to win. Why is the NFL huge? Because it's designed to not have organizations like the Yankees and the Red Sox.

I'm thinking the NFL is huge because football is huge, but what do I know..

I'm thinking the NFL is huge because football is huge, but what do I know..

That has something to do with as well. Nice work with the what do I know comment. :eek:k: I love baseball more than anything but I would have a hard time convincing anyone that baseball is better to watch on tv or in person than football.

That said, the NFL is designed for the worst team to be able to rebound in as quickly as one year. That'll never be the case in baseball unless there is a salary cap.

Great hire for the Cubs. Im really excited about what this team will look like 2-3 years down the road.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

So will there be 2 new spots for each division or 2 in all, for playoffs? Will it be an NFL playoff format? I'm excited to hear of this.

1 extra wildcard in each league.

This move was seemingly made so as to ensure boston and new York are always in the playoffs.

Your favorite waiter is being openly shopped this off-season. I know how strongly you feel about that. Must be tough on you.

That has something to do with as well. Nice work with the what do I know comment. :eek:k: I love baseball more than anything but I would have a hard time convincing anyone that baseball is better to watch on tv or in person than football.

That said, the NFL is designed for the worst team to be able to rebound in as quickly as one year. That'll never be the case in baseball unless there is a salary cap.

Your favorite waiter is being openly shopped this off-season. I know how strongly you feel about that. Must be tough on you.

Where the hell did that come from? Are you kidding me? Seriously, what does a comment like that do for you? You're killing me smalls...

1 extra wildcard in each league.

This move was seemingly made so as to ensure boston and new York are always in the playoffs.

I just don't get how that will work. What will the matchups be?

1 vs 5
2 vs 4
3 vs ?

Or will it be a wild card series and then that winner plays the 1st seed?

I just don't get how that will work. What will the matchups be?

1 vs 5
2 vs 4
3 vs ?

Or will it be a wild card series and then that winner plays the 1st seed?

I believe it will be 1 play-in game between the wild cards...winner advances.

Where the hell did that come from? Are you kidding me? Seriously, what does a comment like that do for you? You're killing me smalls...

I actually am interested in your take on Prados market value. Also, what would you think the Reds would give up for Jurrjens? We could use Stubbs or Cozart, or both.

I actually am interested in your take on Prados market value. Also, what would you think the Reds would give up for Jurrjens? We could use Stubbs or Cozart, or both.

I'm not sure what Prado's value is because if I remember correctly he seemed to have been hampered by injuries for most of 2011. Pending he is 100% healthy and ready to go he's a good player who is right in the middle of his prime at 28. It all depends on who would be trading for him and what talent they have available as is usually the case for any trade.

I'm not quite ready to give up on Stubbs just yet. He has all the tools to be a great MLB player but needs to get his head right.

I love Jurrjens when he is healthy but we've had 2 years in a row now where he's had to miss 10+ starts. I do not see us giving up Cozart because we don't have another MLB ready SS in the system. I'm not sure we match up to well as trade partners because we have alot of young pitchers as do you and our top prospects at 1B and C are of no use to you.

What does Todd Frazier project as? Ive seen some rumors involving him. What little I've seen of him, I havent been impressed.
I think Prado is gone but I would be somewhat surprised if Jurrjens is traded. I think he would return more value, but that'd be too much youth in the rotation. Talented, but young. Would take a lot to get Jurrjens, and as you stated, his durability concerns will keep teams from paying.

I'm not sure what Prado's value is because if I remember correctly he seemed to have been hampered by injuries for most of 2011. Pending he is 100% healthy and ready to go he's a good player who is right in the middle of his prime at 28. It all depends on who would be trading for him and what talent they have available as is usually the case for any trade.

I'm not quite ready to give up on Stubbs just yet. He has all the tools to be a great MLB player but needs to get his head right.

I love Jurrjens when he is healthy but we've had 2 years in a row now where he's had to miss 10+ starts. I do not see us giving up Cozart because we don't have another MLB ready SS in the system. I'm not sure we match up to well as trade partners because we have alot of young pitchers as do you and our top prospects at 1B and C are of no use to you.

What does Todd Frazier project as? Ive seen some rumors involving him. What little I've seen of him, I havent been impressed.
I think Prado is gone but I would be somewhat surprised if Jurrjens is traded. I think he would return more value, but that'd be too much youth in the rotation. Talented, but young. Would take a lot to get Jurrjens, and as you stated, his durability concerns will keep teams from paying.

Todd Fraizer is not being counted on as a big part of the organizations long term plans. Nor should he be.

Todd Fraizer is not being counted on as a big part of the organizations long term plans. Nor should he be.

Agree on Frazier. I've seen some braves fans say they would he thrilled with Frazier and Billy Hamilton for jurrjens. I think Frazier is a waste and Hamilton, gifted, but I think is still far away. I like Stubbs. Cozart only because we don't have a SS either.

Braves have called the Yankees about Eduardo Nunez. Jurrjens name has been thrown around in the talks apparently

As far as atl trading jurjjens goes...does this not seem like a red flag to anyone else?

I'm not aware of the current contract situation but it seems odd that a contending team would trade away premium starting pitching.

VN Store

Back