Missouri's SEC campaign

I have a bad feeling we wont be joining you guys for an extra year. Hoping im wrong though.

The hold up is Mizzou wants to leave next as does the SEC. The problem is if they leave now, who does the big whatever schedule as opponent? Kinda running out of them at this point. So the the other issue is the buyout to compensate for a possible D-II school as an opponent. Should be done before Monday I would think.

Could Missouri not just pay the same as Nebraska, Colorado and Texas A&M as that set the precident for leaving? Having 9 or 10 teams remaining shouldn't be Missouri's problem.
Also since the BigXII is poaching the BigEast they really wouldn't have much leg to stand on to sue the SEC or Missouri.

Reactions: 1 person
Could Missouri not just pay the same as Nebraska, Colorado and Texas A&M as that set the precident for leaving? Having 9 or 10 teams remaining shouldn't be Missouri's problem.
Also since the BigXII is poaching the BigEast they really wouldn't have much leg to stand on to sue the SEC or Missouri.

I don't think a&m's exit fees have been paid/ fully negotiated yet
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Well the problem is the big 12 is gonna be down to eight teams for '12 season. Thats 16 games that have to be rescheduled. The problem is how do you find teams to take their place that will have any revenue coming in. I am sure if Mizzou wanted to pay the full amount then the big 12 would be ok with that, but they don't and why should they. When the other schools left the void could be filled, but with another and going to eight means pickings will be slim. Its all about money and the lack thereof for the big 12. You gotta remember, the big 12 has gone to sharing revenue and which means tu and ou will probably lose some and they want to get all they can.

And the big east has a 27 month waiting period, so WVU will not be going soon, unless they are willing to pay a lot, which means the big 12 will probably be paying some of that also since it needs WVU to keep its TV contracts where they are now.

Well the problem is the big 12 is gonna be down to eight teams for '12 season. Thats 16 games that have to be rescheduled. The problem is how do you find teams to take their place that will have any revenue coming in. I am sure if Mizzou wanted to pay the full amount then the big 12 would be ok with that, but they don't and why should they. When the other schools left the void could be filled, but with another and going to eight means pickings will be slim. Its all about money and the lack thereof for the big 12. You gotta remember, the big 12 has gone to sharing revenue and which means tu and ou will probably lose some and they want to get all they can.

I thought TCU was joining starting next year. That gets them to 9.

So how big of a mistake was made when the SEC’s official website posted a “Missouri Joins The SEC” packet late last night?

Purty big.

Let’s run through some of the questions raised by the gigantic goof:

1.* Was it an accident or a hoax?

Clearly it was an accident.* The page was done in a fashion identical to SECSports.com’s coverage of Texas A&M’s entry into the league.

Also, top SEC PR man Charles Bloom tweeted the following with regards to the error at 9:22 this morning:

“Web vendor made mistake.* No agreement between SEC and Missouri.”

I don’t believe that cat will head willingly back into the bag.

2.* So who is the web vendor?

The web vendor in this case is XOS Digital.* They are a growing web company and have had a fruitful relationship — at least until now — with the SEC.

3.* Are we really to believe this information was put together by the vendor and then accidentally released?

Apparently so.* But the Q&A sessions with Chris Dortch and Tony Barnhart make it a bit harder to believe that the vendor’s only error wasn’t just posting the info early.

It was clearly the SEC’s error to have it all put together early.* (Though it’s certainly possible that the league had the page made, then had to hold it due to bigger Big 12 gripes than were expected.)

Clearly, it wasn’t XOS Digital who interviewed Dortch and Barnhart.

4.* What kind of position does this put Barnhart in?

You can bet Dortch and Barnhart weren’t happy about the release.* Barnhart — like so many of us in the media these days — wears about 10 different hats.* He’s employed in one capacity or another by CBS Sports, CSS, the SEC, and WQXI-AM 790 in Atlanta.

From reading the questions, it appears that this Q&A could have been done in an “If Missouri joins, what would you think” fashion.* Still, even if the SEC asked him to do a Q&A on a hypothetical situation, Barnhart’s sharp enough to know what that would mean.

So it’s possible that he’s now stuck in a rough spot.* What will his CBS Sports bosses say if they believe he had a scoop and sat on it?*

Here’s a guy who answered some questions for the SEC, kept it under his hat — one of those 10 he wears — as was surely requested by the league, and then got burned for doing so.

5.* So what kind of trouble could this cause for Missouri’s attempt to exit the Big 12?

A lot.* Baylor president Kenneth Starr has proven to be a litigious two-face in the realignment game so far.* He reportedly threatened to sue the SEC for tortious interference in the case of Texas A&M’s Big 12 exit.* Then he and the Big 12 raided the Big East for TCU and currently look to do so again with West Virginia.

But seeing as how he had no issue with being duplicitous on the one hand, we doubt he’d have any problem being duplicitous on the other.* “To heck with the Big 12′s Big East raid, we’ve got proof of SEC-Missouri dealings!”

If nothing else, the Big 12 just got some more leverage in its negotiations with Mizzou and that exit fee could be going up.

6.* Could the SEC actually be in danger of a lawsuit this time around?

Yes and no.* Yes, there now appears to be what could be viewed as a smoking gun if a lawsuit went to court in Waco, Texas or Kansas City, Missouri.* (SEC claims that it — or XOS Digital — had just built the page in case things worked out with MU wouldn’t hold much water in a Big 12 state court.)

No, because the Big 12 and any individual party from inside that conference who might sue has done the exact same thing by raiding the Big East.* A judge with common sense would save time and money by tossing this one out.

Still, the danger level did go up for the SEC with this mistake.

7.* What must Missouri be thinking?

Since last summer, MU officials have taken a pie in the face from the Big Ten and have had to deal with a costly “the SEC is what’s left” leak from an anonymous school official.* They also had a 45-page research piece and cost/benefit analysis on SEC membership reach the press.

Now, when they appear to be buttoning things up, an enormous mistake is made on the SEC side of things.* Cursed, anyone?

8.* Could this slow the process down further?

Most definitely.* With the Big 12 now holding more leverage, it’s more likely Mizzou will wind up playing out one more year in that league (unless WVU or U of L can escape the Big East quickly).* How much more likely?* No one knows.

The Big 12 was playing harder ball than expected before this web error.* The error now gives that league a bit more power in negotiating sessions.* That’s going to equal a slow down on some scale.

Observations:

This gaffe is the kind that can change lives.* For the folks at Missouri, the SEC, and the Big 12.* For the folks at XOS Digital who might lose some big business over this.* For the poor guy who hit the wrong button to send this info into cyberspace.

Sadly, we know how easy it is to type in a wrong date and see a story post at the wrong time.* We know how one key punch can release information that’s not meant to be seen yet.

So we feel for the folks at XOS Digital.* Big money situations or not, mistakes happen.* These are humans pushing the buttons.

But, boy, this mistake was a biggie.

Alabama | MrSEC.com

Does Anthony Weiner work at XOS Digital now?

I just heard on the radio that WVU will play in the Big 12 next season. wut

WVU will play in the Big XII next season. The Big XII released the statement of teams in the conference next season and we were not included:

Beginning with the 2012-13 season it is expected that the Big 12 Conference will be comprised of 10 Universities - Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech and West Virginia. The Big 12's footprint will encompass five states with over 36 million people. More than 4,100 student-athletes from across the United States and around the World compete annually in the 23 sports sponsored by the Conference.

Looks like the path is now clear.

The hold up is Mizzou wants to leave next as does the SEC. The problem is if they leave now, who does the big whatever schedule as opponent? Kinda running out of them at this point. So the the other issue is the buyout to compensate for a possible D-II school as an opponent. Should be done before Monday I would think.

It isn't about having to replace Missouri on a football schedule. The issue is that if the Big 12 drops below 10 members, they have to renegotiate their TV deals. They are set to have 10 next year, including TCU and Missouri. If they lose Missouri for next year, and WVU is forced to wait, then they lose money on their TV deals.

WVU will play in the Big XII next season. The Big XII released the statement of teams in the conference next season and we were not included:

Looks like the path is now clear.

Could also just be another premature statement.

Sounds like they'll fight to keep Missouri if they can't get WVU in time for next season.

Missouri... meh

I like watching them on TV but I'm not so sure the SEC is going to be a good fit for them. I guess the West could use another easy win though... unless for some completely idiotic reason they get put in the East.

SEC website vendor apologizes for Mizzou gaffe | CollegeFootballTalk

“XOS apologizes for its inadvertent error of making available a draft article indicating that Missouri had joined the Southeastern Conference. There had been considerable speculation about the possibility that Missouri would join the Southeastern Conference, and the working draft, which was never published, was prepared so the article could be finalized and posted quickly should Missouri in fact join the SEC. The draft was not intended to be publicly available, but a website user was able to obtain it through the use of a new advanced search technology.”

So, they Googled it. :eek:lol:

Missouri... meh

I like watching them on TV but I'm not so sure the SEC is going to be a good fit for them. I guess the West could use another easy win though... unless for some completely idiotic reason they get put in the East.

They're going to be put in the east 1) to preserve rivalries and 2) they're really not that far from vandy, UK, UT and even to a degree UGA....not Terribly much further overall than their average traveling distances against the west teams (save arky and maybe 1 other)

I can't believe how dumb this whole act is.

They play this elaborate game to make it appear as if schools, on their own, suddenly got tired of their conference and decide to leave it, and then magically another conference just happens to be driving by at that moment to pick up the nomadic hitchhiker school.

XOSgate is such a comical exposure of the farce that I almost wonder if it was a deliberate sabotage.

With them probably coming in for 2012, which of our cross over games do we lose?

...hm, just depends on how the fitting in scheduling of aTm and Missouri go

The team would have either had Arkansas or...either Mississippi St, ole miss, or auburn might have been next up on the rotation

I can't believe how dumb this whole act is.

They play this elaborate game to make it appear as if schools, on their own, suddenly got tired of their conference and decide to leave it, and then magically another conference just happens to be driving by at that moment to pick up the nomadic hitchhiker school.

XOSgate is such a comical exposure of the farce that I almost wonder if it was a deliberate sabotage.

Welcome to the unfortunate world of contracts, lawyers, and lawsuits. Even though everyone knows these moves have already had previous discussions, they now still have to have delicate footing in order to keep it from turning into an even longer, very expensive mess

Last edited:

VN Store

Back