Vol Report: Derek Dooley Post-Practice (10/25/11)

Good stuff!!! I just wish someone will step up and help Justin this weekend. We need the wideouts to do something other than drop a pass. This is a winnable game!!! The defense has been playing well, the offensive line is doing good. But the wideouts outside of Da'rick needs to step it up!!!

He has confidence in Worley.

No production at WR other than DaRick and Mychal. Says that Zach just seems to play without confidence during the game and that is what he thinks is the biggest problem.

Rajoin Neal seems to show poor effort when playing away from the ball.

Is really hyped about how Randolph has come in and played so well, allowing them to move Prentiss back to his natural position at CB.

I respect Coach Dooley for calling it as he sees it with players like Neal. I also understand that with all the public criticism, a coach had better be backing his talk up with performance. At some point players will quit on a coach if they feel like they can't do anything right. Something’s are better handled inside the family and not broadcast to everyone. I am behind Dooley, however he needs to stop trying to make snide comments and focus more on coaching his team and holding his coach staff accountable for the output of the players. I may be way off from what other think, just my observation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I respect Coach Dooley for calling it as he see's it with players lick Neal. I also understand that with all the public critisim, a coach had better be backing his talk up with performance. At some point players will quit on a coach if they feel like they can't do anything right. Somethings are better handled inside the family and not broadcast to everyone. I am behind Dooley, however he needs to stop trying to make snide comments and focus more on coaching his team and holding his coach staff accountable for the output of the players. I may be way off from what other think, just my observation.

Dooley answered a question, honestly, about a kid that's apparently lazy and under performing. If Neal doesn't like being called out then maybe he should work harder and at the very least stop being lazy. Dooley answers question honestly and I think it's great that he does so. Dooley also throws out praise for guys who work hard and perform up their abilities, it's not like he's just out there being a dick.

Bottom line, IMO, if you don't want to be called out...work harder and do what's asked of you. It's a privilege to be on scholarship at the University of Tennessee, not a right.

Reactions: 20 people
Dooley answered a question, honestly, about a kid that's apparently lazy and under performing. If Neal doesn't like being called out then maybe he should work harder and at the very least stop being lazy. Dooley answers question honestly and I think it's great that he does so. Dooley also throws out praise for guys who work hard and perform up their abilities, it's not like he's just out there being a dick.

Bottom line, IMO, if you don't want to be called out...work harder and do what's asked of you. It's a privilege to be on scholarship at the University of Tennessee, not a right.

Some people just want a cliche coach answer for everything.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The DAMN problem has been Simms at qb, not being able to stare down more than one receiver!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
My take about his assessment of Worley is that he looks good in practice and they believe in him, but they just don't want to say too much without seeing him under the lights. Notice the last thing that he said he would expect from him was to play bad, I believe that is telling

I would much rather get honest answers, no matter how good, bad, or indifferent they are, than to have smoke and coach speak blown up my keister.

Reactions: 4 people
Raijon instincts are to sit down, and go to sleep.

haha man no wonder he doesnt play more.

DD may or may not a successful coach at UT, but he has a great presser. I broke up at the end when he talked about Neal and accused the reporters of "'sitting down". The pressers offer a little entertainment during these dark days in the program.

Reactions: 1 person
If he can get this team to play like he did the 1st half of Bama with Simms then I see no reason why he can't get them ready for SC. Assuming of course the QB play improves and doesn't completely dilute any belief we have that we can win a game. Benching Simms was absolutely a must make decision. In doing it you could tell he stood behind Simms as a guy which speaks to the opposite of the Neal situation and others like them were people get upset at him calling out players intentions.

I respect Coach Dooley for calling it as he see's it with players lick Neal. I also understand that with all the public critisim, a coach had better be backing his talk up with performance. At some point players will quit on a coach if they feel like they can't do anything right. Somethings are better handled inside the family and not broadcast to everyone. I am behind Dooley, however he needs to stop trying to make snide comments and focus more on coaching his team and holding his coach staff accountable for the output of the players. I may be way off from what other think, just my observation.
Excellent observation....Coaches need to work more on how to adjust game plan at halftimes...All our opponents seem to be doing that quite well.

Some people just want a cliche coach answer for everything.

No clue. I never stated that I want a cliche coach. It would be no different than Hart going on record about Dooley's performance. I believe that Dooley would rather have those conversations in house.

So True UTVOL!! My son is a fresh on local high school team and earned starting position on JV. Their JV season ended yesterday and he was told today he is one of the few moving up to Varsity and will begin practice today with V and will dress for playoff games! And a major part of the reason is he always hustles, says yes sir, no sir and always does his best like his daddy taught him to! :rock::rock::rock:

No clue. I never stated that I want a cliche coach. It would be no different than Hart going on record about Dooley's performance. I believe that Dooley would rather have those conversations in house.

No. You're confused. From what I can tell Dooley and staff are working very hard to improve, recruit, coach, win, etc...they're not being lazy. Raijon Neal isn't being called out for bad performance, he's being called out for being lazy. Laziness is inexcusable. See the difference?

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back