Expansion Rumor

Dolla Dolla Bill Yall.

Financially the SEC is set as is. I don't see weakening the conference in hopes to add a few bucks. A&M might have tradition, but I don't see them as being an SEC powerhouse. If they wanna bring in Oklahoma and Virginia Tech, then I could understand that. Bet the dollars would increase then too.

If the SEC brings in to many power houses (OK, VT) no team would make it through the season unscaithed. What would be the chances of a two loss SEC champion playing for the NC when you have unbeaten Pac 12 and/or Big 12 champions?

Missouri is a Big Ten (or something) school. Not a good choice for an SEC invite. WV isn't a bad choice but I would rather see Clemson.

Missouri is in the Big 12 right now... and you have no idea what you are talking about. They have a very well rounded athletics program. Mizzou would make an excellent addition.

If the SEC brings in to many power houses (OK, VT) no team would make it through the season unscaithed. What would be the chances of a two loss SEC champion playing for the NC when you have unbeaten Pac 12 and/or Big 12 champions?

Same scenario exists for the new Pac16 or whatever they call it. We seem to be heading toward 4 super conferences. I am not altogether thrilled with that development but it will produce more of a "true" football champion. It is very likely that future NC's will have one or two losses. In fact, it may become beneficial to take more difficult OOC games. If each conference produces a champion that then engages in a two round NC playoff then there's no harm in an OOC loss... or even two... or even four. The focus will be on winning your division then your conference then 2 games.

Financially the SEC is set as is. I don't see weakening the conference in hopes to add a few bucks. A&M might have tradition, but I don't see them as being an SEC powerhouse. If they wanna bring in Oklahoma and Virginia Tech, then I could understand that. Bet the dollars would increase then too.

The SEC cannot sit while the Pac10 adds OU, Texas, KU, Ok St, Texas Tech, etc.

The more interesting thing right now is how the ACC and Big 10 react. Both will now be forced to grow. There is also more leverage to force ND to join the Big 10 and especially if the BE goes down... which it should.

I don't understand how the SEC is gaining anything by bringing A&M to the SEC. A&M is gaining a lot, but what benefit is the SEC getting out of it? I definitely don't see any benefit of bringing in a team like Mizzou. Anyone else get it? If so, please explain.

Others have noted the TV/money.
As of the moment the SEC is getting another top 10 team.

1.Oklahoma (32)
2.LSU (17)
3.Alabama (9)
4.Boise St. (2)
5.Florida St.
6.Stanford
7.Texas A&M
8.Wisconsin
9.Oklahoma St.
10.Nebraska
11.Virginia Tech
12.South Carolina
13.Oregon
14.Arkansas
15.Ohio St.
16.Mississippi St.
17.Michigan St.
18.Florida
19.West Virginia
20.Baylor

Also, West Virginia is currently considered to be a better team than over half the teams in the SEC. That could change, but it's true as of the moment.

I don't understand how the SEC is gaining anything by bringing A&M to the SEC. A&M is gaining a lot, but what benefit is the SEC getting out of it? I definitely don't see any benefit of bringing in a team like Mizzou. Anyone else get it? If so, please explain.

TAMU is nestled neatly between 3 of the 10 largest population centers in the country. This places the SEC in approximately 10-15 million more television viewing households.

There is really nothing to discuss beyond that. It's all about the KWAN.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Realistically, I think the domino effect is what the SEC is trying to avoid. If the SEC expands to 16 first, and can do that by adding strong athletic departments, it wins by default when the Big 10/ACC/Big East have to fight over teams like Kansas State, Iowa State, and a bunch of C-USA and MAC schools.

I don't think the additions of WV and A&M would be bad at all, and I understand the Missouri tv market, although I'd rather not have Missouri.

If I were king for the day I bring in WV, VT, A&M and TCU. It's going to be interesting to say the least once the dominos start to fall.

If you want the DC market, then go after Virginia Tech, not WVU. I'm not terrible keen on VaTech joining the SEC, but I would prefer them, hands down, over WVU.

Also, Missouri is a Big 10 school.

I just got back from Morgantown Monday after going to the MU/WVU game. I was actually pleasantly surprised that most fans were pretty good, much unlike the first game against Marshall where I saw fight after fight, and endless bullsh!t from WVU fans.

Given that, I was proudly sporting my power T hat, and talked to a lot of WVU fans about going to the SEC, and the "supposed" home and home with UT. From a fans standpoint, they want NOTHING to do with the SEC. Said it's a good fit demographically, and could certainly help their recruiting, but they would be mediocre at best for quite a while in the SEC.

Several that I talked to have also "heard" that they are slated to be the 14th team in the SEC. WVU has a lot of leaks I believe within the program, and some of the boosters seem to know everything that is going on.
Another thing I found interesting, is WVU just started doing the "Man Walk" which is the same as the Vol walk, and HC Holgerson said it was very traditional in the SEC, and it was something they wanted to immulate.

Others have noted the TV/money.
As of the moment the SEC is getting another top 10 team.

1.Oklahoma (32)
2.LSU (17)
3.Alabama (9)
4.Boise St. (2)
5.Florida St.
6.Stanford
7.Texas A&M
8.Wisconsin
9.Oklahoma St.
10.Nebraska
11.Virginia Tech
12.South Carolina
13.Oregon
14.Arkansas
15.Ohio St.
16.Mississippi St.
17.Michigan St.
18.Florida
19.West Virginia
20.Baylor

Also, West Virginia is currently considered to be a better team than over half the teams in the SEC. That could change, but it's true as of the moment.

Good point, although it isn't the norm for A&M to be ranked that high and I don't see them staying there. Still like your points though. I can see WVU definitely, but Mizzou, not so much.

Don't really like Missouri or WV. They are good programs but not like FSU, Sooners, or OK state in my eyes (not so much OK state but close) :)

West Virginia & Texas AM are good programs but seem more beatable. It's already hard enough to win the SEC without adding Oklahoma and Florida St.

If you want the DC market, then go after Virginia Tech, not WVU. I'm not terrible keen on VaTech joining the SEC, but I would prefer them, hands down, over WVU.

Also, Missouri is a Big 10 school.

VT is saying no thanks....for now. Could be playing coy. We'll see.

WVU allows us to infringe heavily on the Big 10 and Big East TV markets. I can't stress this enough.....the TV pie and and the advertising revenue is what the conference is after.

WVU has the trashiest fan base anywhere (documented) and Morgantown is a dump. IMO this is a short-sighted, not-well-thought-out decision. SEC / Southern rednecks crazy about football would give way to a different breed of crazy hill jacks that are totally their own culture.

West Virginia would be a great SEC fit. I'm excited about playing them but like others, i'd much rather have VTech.

I think Mizzou would be a good fit. We border Arkansas, KY & TN. Lots of money in Springfield, MO which is not to far across the border from Bentonville, AR. Bentonville is the HQ's of Wal Mart. A lot of bragging rights would be at stake there. Mizzou would bring in the St Louis market which has the HQ's of a Anheuser Busch. I think we have all seen a couple of their commercials during a sporting event. Also, Mizzou has one of the largest journalism schools in the nation. Mizzou gets a a lot of ink and so would whoever they play.

Gotta look at what wvu brings in other sports too. Men and women bb are pretty good every year, from this past weekend, many of the other sports are said to be pretty competitive ad well.

TAMU is nestled neatly between 3 of the 10 largest population centers in the country. This places the SEC in approximately 10-15 million more television viewing households.

There is really nothing to discuss beyond that. It's all about the KWAN.

I don't understand why so many people have trouble grasping this concept. Not to mention it's a school with lots of tradition behind it. Lots more, BTW, than some of the schools already in the SEC, i.e. Vandy, UK, USC. It's Texas A&M we're talking about, and people act like it's North Texas or something.

St. Louis is a professional fan base town (Blues, Cardinals and Rams). After living here for over 20 years, I could count on my fingers how many time Mizzou has been mention on the local news (TV/Sports Radio). They just don't care that much about college sports here. Kansas City is about the same. I don't believe it's that great a market. With that being said, they do have tons of high school talent in this area who get recruited into the Big Ten.

I don't understand why so many people have trouble grasping this concept. Not to mention it's a school with lots of tradition behind it. Lots more, BTW, than some of the schools already in the SEC, i.e. Vandy, UK, USC. It's Texas A&M we're talking about, and people act like it's North Texas or something.
Truth. Preach it.

There are some here that will have a nervous breakdown when a resurgent TAMU is competetive against the SEC. It's going to be an interesting addition.

VN Store

Back