Great Middle School Programs in the State.

Most middle schools play lousy schedules so those conference championships are good for the kids / school but not as good (in terms of determining the true strength of team) so saying a school wins championships year after year in middle school but can't win in high school isnt comparing apples to apples b/c of scheduling. Don't want to put names out here but some teams in past have been conf champs / runner-ups and been DRUBBED by teams from other conferences in pre-season scrimmages. M.B.A. and Brentwood Academy Middle Schools have the best two M.S. programs BAR NONE according to my middle school football source they've both beat one of East Tenn's annual best (Knox Fulton) the last two years.

It'd be nice if M.S. ball was better (more competitive) in our state b/c it would make the H.S. ball better. Some middle schools play 5-6 games and call that a season (and usually only one of those are tough games).

In East Tenn (Maryville and Knox Fulton) probably are the most consistently best programs (year after year) but they never get to play or scrimmage although I've heard Alcoa / Fulton scrimmage annaully w/ Fulton having upper hand more times than not. My source also told me Knox Fulton plays arguably the toughest middle school schedule in state (MBA, Brentwood Academy, Bell Co KY, Knox Catholic, Farragut, Powell, CAK, also travels to Atlanta, GA for big weekend jamboree) they play all them and scrimmage Knox Webb, Alcoa & Clinton...

Maryville Middle Football Website: http://www.maryvillecityschools.k12.tn.us/education/sportszone/sportszone.php?sectionid=673&

Knox Fulton 8th Grade Website: Knoxville Falcons - 7th & 8th Grade Football Website - (Knoxville, TN) - powered by LeagueLineup.com

I checked these two out pretty impressive...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

I also hear there is now an Middle School All-Star Game featuring kids from Tenn / KY. If I hear / learn more of this I'll share...

Last edited:
Most middle schools play lousy schedules so those conference championships are good for the kids / school but not as good (in terms of determining the true strength of team) so saying a school wins championships year after year in middle school but can't win in high school isnt comparing apples to apples b/c of scheduling. Don't want to put names out here but some teams in past have been conf champs / runner-ups and been DRUBBED by teams from other conferences in pre-season scrimmages. M.B.A. and Brentwood Academy Middle Schools have the best two M.S. programs BAR NONE according to my middle school football source they've both beat one of East Tenn's annual best (Knox Fulton) the last two years.

It'd be nice if M.S. ball was better (more competitive) in our state b/c it would make the H.S. ball better. Some middle schools play 5-6 games and call that a season (and usually only one of those are tough games).

In East Tenn (Maryville and Knox Fulton) probably are the most consistently best programs (year after year) but they never get to play or scrimmage although I've heard Alcoa / Fulton scrimmage annaully w/ Fulton having upper hand more times than not. My source also told me Knox Fulton plays arguably the toughest middle school schedule in state (MBA, Brentwood Academy, Bell Co KY, Knox Catholic, Farragut, Powell, CAK, also travels to Atlanta, GA for big weekend jamboree) they play all them and scrimmage Knox Webb, Alcoa & Clinton...

Maryville Middle Football Website: Football - Bulldog Football Home

Knox Fulton 8th Grade Website: Knoxville Falcons - 7th & 8th Grade Football Website - (Knoxville, TN) - powered by LeagueLineup.com

I checked these two out pretty impressive...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

I also hear there is now an Middle School All-Star Game featuring kids from Tenn / KY. If I hear / learn more of this I'll share...

Make no mistake, Maryville Middle could play with anyone in the state, esp. the past 2 teams.

Knox Co. is fairly messed up because the teams aren't through the schools but through parks and rec. It's hard the gauge exactly how good the teams are because of that.

knox county football would be greatly improved if every high school fed exclusively from specific middle schools. bearden middle kids, for example, are distributed to at least 2 different high schools, maybe more with the unusual redistricting and opening of hardin valley.

Make no mistake, Maryville Middle could play with anyone in the state, esp. the past 2 teams.

Knox Co. is fairly messed up because the teams aren't through the schools but through parks and rec. It's hard the gauge exactly how good the teams are because of that.

I'm sure Maryville could compete at least - it would be nice to see them play some of the other better programs in the state. I know there middle school conference is pretty weak so its hard to gauge how good there team really is (although they can't control how weak there conference is).

Knox Co isn't thru the schools but MOST kids play on the team of where there going to HS and most 8th Grade teams are ran no different than the middle schools team across the state. I know alot of Knox Co 8th Grade teams play out-lying county schools Farragut 8th Grade has on there website they beat Lenoir City Middle 25-6, Farragut finished 6-4 in Knox Co and LC won there conference. I think Webb & CAK play Knox Co teams as well. Some middle schools in Knox Co send kids to 4-5 different high schools (i.e. Northwest, Bearden & Holston Middle Schools) kids go every which way its crazy. IMO Knox Co 8th Grade league is the most competitive league in East Tenn but I guess it should be considering they have the most teams and biggest city population in East Tenn.

I'm sure Maryville could compete at least - it would be nice to see them play some of the other better programs in the state. I know there middle school conference is pretty weak so its hard to gauge how good there team really is (although they can't control how weak there conference is).

Knox Co isn't thru the schools but MOST kids play on the team of where there going to HS and most 8th Grade teams are ran no different than the middle schools team across the state. I know alot of Knox Co 8th Grade teams play out-lying county schools Farragut 8th Grade has on there website they beat Lenoir City Middle 25-6, Farragut finished 6-4 in Knox Co and LC won there conference. I think Webb & CAK play Knox Co teams as well. Some middle schools in Knox Co send kids to 4-5 different high schools (i.e. Northwest, Bearden & Holston Middle Schools) kids go every which way its crazy. IMO Knox Co 8th Grade league is the most competitive league in East Tenn but I guess it should be considering they have the most teams and biggest city population in East Tenn.

Knox Co. is crazy. When I lived in Knoxville I had a chance to help coach one of the Farragut 6th grad teams but just didn't have time.

Maryville typically plays Webb OOC, but I wouldn't mind seeing them play Fulton or Farragut's feeder team (if they can, not sure of the school system rules regarding that). No doubt other than Alcoa and Sevier Co. their conference is weak, but like you said, what can you really do?

I'm terms of football? Robertsville. It's one of two middle schools that feed into oak ridge. They r historically a very good team. Another good school, more specifically in b ball is science hill. They r nothing short of impresive. Very well coached
Posted via VolNation Mobile

too many homers in this thread and kinda misleading due to that - there is a consensus 3-4 schools you want to look at.. most of them being private and the other being Maryville's feeder.

Oneida is one of the toughest teams to play here in our area. Coaching against them is a headache every year and they seem to reload better than any team I've seen. Wish they would move up and play some teams that could be more competitive with them.

too many homers in this thread and kinda misleading due to that - there is a consensus 3-4 schools you want to look at.. most of them being private and the other being Maryville's feeder.

I agree about some homers but I wouldn't be so quickly to say Maryville has the best Middle School program in East Tenn although they are good but there are couple other pretty competitive programs in East Tenn that I'd say would give them all they could handle or more on a yearly basis. The privates in Mid-State are powers for sure... I believe Alcoa has gotten the best of Maryville more times than not over the years in Middle School or at least thats what someone from Alcoa told me

I agree about some homers but I wouldn't be so quickly to say Maryville has the best Middle School program in East Tenn although they are good but there are couple other pretty competitive programs in East Tenn that I'd say would give them all they could handle or more on a yearly basis. The privates in Mid-State are powers for sure... I believe Alcoa has gotten the best of Maryville more times than not over the years in Middle School or at least thats what someone from Alcoa told me

I'm fairly certain Alcoa hasn't scored on Maryville in the past 2 years. I could be wrong. I know the 09 MMS first team defense did not allow one point.

I'm fairly certain Alcoa hasn't scored on Maryville in the past 2 years. I could be wrong. I know the 09 MMS first team defense did not allow one point.

I was told over the last several years AMS has gotten upper hand more times than not I do know the last two years MMS has had upper hand. Not taking anything away from them b/c being undefeated is a great accomplishment and I'm sure there good team but there conference is really weak (I no thats not in their control). Alcoa Middle has been way down last two years but previous few years before that they beat up on MMS pretty good I heard (I've never seen them play just relying on a source who follows middle school ball in Knox & Blount Co closely). It'd be nice to get ALL the good teams (which aren't many) in East Tenn too play each other instead of some of these teams drilling the weaker teams all the time. I heard in Knox Co this year Knox Fulton ran thru the league pretty easy but I was also told the league competition overall was way down from past years.

Is he still alive? I remember watching him get after his players in the pre-game and was glad he wasn't my coach lol...but then again he won all the time so maybe that was a good thing.

He is still alive. He was pretty hardcore, but a great coach.
We had to run after the game for every point that some one scored on us. We didn't let many people score on us.

Inman Middle School here in Paris has a very, very successful football program. They've won the West Tennessee championship 3 years running, and I think overall they've won something like 5 of the last 8. Idk how they would match up state wide, but without a doubt one of the best middle school programs in west tennessee. It's the primary feeder into Henry County High School, and has produced players such as Marsalis Teague, Dominique Allen, and Andrew Jelks along with many other college athletes.

Last edited:
Inman Middle School here in Paris has a very, very successful football program. They've won the West Tennessee championship 3 years running, and I think overall they've won something like 5 of the last 8. Idk how they would match up state wide, but without a doubt one of the best middle school programs in west tennessee. It's the primary feeder into Henry County High School, which has produced players such as Marsalis Teague and Dominique Allen along with many other college athletes.

I heard they had a good program going on over there. Keep up the great work!!!

If you really want to see where the best middle school programs are just look to see where high school state championships are won. High schools in Rutherford County have had great success at the state levels. There is a reason why communities in and around these areas such as Maryville, Murfreesboro, Smyrna win championships; has a correlation with the middle schools that feed them.

You are right but this year in freshman football Maryville only beat them by 6.

Alcoa has beaten Maryville more in Middle School than Maryville has beaten them. This past years seniors at Maryville lost to Alcoa in Middle School 55-0. Tyson and Warren killed them. Maryville lost to Alcoa in Middle school in 2008,2007 but beat Alcoa later in blount county championship in 2007,2006,2002,2001,2000. Maryville has beaten Alcoa 27-0 and 35-0 the last 2 years. Alcoa hasn't had the talent like they did 3-4 years ago at the middle school level.

I know it probably can't compete with the big boys but I was told the Jefferson Middle School has more conference championships (13) than any other middle school in the state.

I know it probably can't compete with the big boys but I was told the Jefferson Middle School has more conference championships (13) than any other middle school in the state.

I believe this is true. I attended the JMS - Maury game a few years ago. Never seen that many people at a middle school game. Great environment.

Ah, middle school/junior high football. I haven't been to one of those since I played.

Looking forward to watching my son's first middle school game tomorrow evening. Not sure how much "action" he'll see though.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I coach at Jefferson Middle School in Jefferson City (1st year). JMS has won more conference championships than any other middle school in the state. We've won 6 of the last 8. We went 7-1 this year and won the conference. Our conference consists of the Morristown schools, another Jeff Co. school, and Rutledge. We averaged over 30 points while allowing less than 12. Our offensive system was based around our QB amd his stregnths (granted he was a transfer from Sevier County). We ran a lot out of Flex, I and Split Backs...a lot of veer and mid-line tendencies. Our RB rushed for 1,003 yards (including a 319 yard game) and our QB ran for over 700.

JMS has had some notable athletes...Ricky Upton @ Penn St, Todd Collins (2 Superbowl Rings) and Jeff Jennings a few years ago @ Vandy. A few other guys had some walk-on oppurtunities. Our HS program should be much better, but baseball is king around here. We'll have Jermaine Copeland's son next year.

My son too!

No, he's #8. Were you at the game tonight? Alumni Band? He played some cornerback andwas the quarterback at the end of the game.

VN Store

Back